Batista(not competing)

Batista

On 6/28/2021 at 11:05 AM, Batista said:

This plant is impressive. Growth is taking off now. I did open her up yesterday with the wire, she will require daily training now.

I don't think I'm going to flip just yet, I probably need another 2 weeks because I lost around 2 weeks due to my unwashed coco messing them up lol

Apologies for dark pics, had to put my light off otherwise electro lines. 4b2d57b7faece774d3680b058192db02.jpga446800b55253c2ed6bb0f58fbfffb9b.jpg0575d518e1d91194d062a845c56357e1.jpg74b21a8f84455ff684b90fac5eca7a3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

why are all your leaves looking so twisted? almost as if the leaves are fighting for space to grow. i would defol and free up some space for those ladies man

• Like 1

why are all your leaves looking so twisted? almost as if the leaves are fighting for space to grow. i would defol and free up some space for those ladies man
Hey, I think they are twisted because I recently tied the stems down more and also snipped a few growth tips and then this happened lol

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I will def do a defoliate and remove smaller unwanted growth tips.

Unfortunately this means I won't make the soft switch deadline as I would want more vertical growth before I switch.

• Like 1

That to me is normally a sign of bad pH.
I see he last did pH of 5.5, which is low.
Hey, so I think my Ph meter may be off by a bit, but I also think I havnt flushed in a while. I've collected some rainwater, do you think I can flush with that? I've never really tried rainwater before on indoor plants. I'm going to checks its Ph with my El cheapo pen and report back but I do think it's time for a flush on this plant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batista said:

Hey, so I think my Ph meter may be off by a bit, but I also think I havnt flushed in a while. I've collected some rainwater, do you think I can flush with that? I've never really tried rainwater before on indoor plants. I'm going to checks its Ph with my El cheapo pen and report back but I do think it's time for a flush on this plant.

I don't think a flush is at all necessary... Just correct your feeds and it will come right. 

Rain water should be fine... Although I have had some pretty acidic rain water before so you will still need to check what's the pH and shit. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, CreX said:

I don't think a flush is at all necessary... Just correct your feeds and it will come right. 

Rain water should be fine... Although I have had some pretty acidic rain water before so you will still need to check what's the pH and shit. 

uh oh, I been giving rain water a couple times now all willy nilly, haven't checked its ph at all.

it wouldn't hurt the probes? I read that I should only be reading tap water, no filtered water or RO water, can't remember if it said anything bout rain, but I been using it only on tap water as I know that's safe. 

it may even be that the rainwater has a high ppm too then flushing with it may also cause more harm?

• Like 1

All rain water needs to be tested, as you never know what roof it runs off of, and then what is in the gutters, or built up on the roof.

I know a guy who has to fix the pH of his rain water, as he has an asbestos roof or something, and makes it bad, even mould or algae can make a difference. 

You also can get huge ppm or TDS in there. Know what you giving your plants, always, you will notice a huge difference 🙏

Added, you also never know what is growing or dead in the tank

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Added
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

There is a liquid, potassium chloride.
So there is an issue because no matter how much vinegar I add the Ph doesn't change, Google says that the air bubble is an issue and I agree after doing the above :( Is it time for a new Ph pen or wondrring if I can shake that bubble out. It's an El cheapo yellow Ph pen.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Batista said:

Guys, is there supposed to be water inside the Ph pen phrobe thingy? I see an air bubble, I think my Ph pen is not working emoji24.png

did you mean in the screen of the thing? so the enclosed motherboard area got water in? 

the potassium chloride the trooper is refering to is the probe liquid, it needs to be kept wet at all times. 

those yellow cheapies don't last long, heard only about 6 months if looked after it properly and calibrated each month. after the 6th month it wont calibrate correctly anymore. 

your situation seems like it might have been dropped in water or you submersed more than just the tip and water got into the body of the pen? 

my blue labs equipment is all submersable and waterproof, if you buying a new one I would like to recommend to look at the blue labs one. if you thinking bout sticking to growing any kinda plants I would suggest getting a pen that will last you forever and it stays accurate aslong as you calibrate it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Batista said:

Google says that the air bubble is an issue

Hmmm, Google, always on the money...not

8 hours ago, Batista said:

wondrring if I can shake that bubble ou

If you can, you'll be the first in the world to do so, normally shaking will make more air bubbles. 

Get a quality pen, end of discussion and great advice from Naughty 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

i must be honest ... i have only had access to the yellow cheapies, and i dono if i maybe got a sweet one... but i check calibration every month with a ph calibration fluid with a ph of 7.01 , and every time i dip my pen into the liquid, it goes straight to 7.0 every time... i havent had to calibrate it in months because its just not losing calibration

the air bubble is normal... i do not think i have ever seen a pen without an air bubble..

you do need to care for the probe though as it will eventually break. i rinse the probe off under tap water for a few seconds and replace the cap.

you do get a special fluid that is supposed to prolong the life of your pen, but i havent gotten around to using any and so far so good... not ideal i know, but so far so good after 2 years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Added, you also never know what is growing or dead in the tank

as of yet I do not have a tank, when I expect rain I put buckets down all around the house, old schoooool style! 

so I don't let it stand, collect and 24hrs later should be used and rest goes to under roof garden. 

got corrigated zinc sheets on the roof, clean gutters all around, but still interested in the ph and ppm. 

got a few buckets collected, will do the tests tonight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CreX said:

i must be honest ... i have only had access to the yellow cheapies, and i dono if i maybe got a sweet one... but i check calibration every month with a ph calibration fluid with a ph of 7.01 , and every time i dip my pen into the liquid, it goes straight to 7.0 every time... i havent had to calibrate it in months because its just not losing calibration

the air bubble is normal... i do not think i have ever seen a pen without an air bubble..

you do need to care for the probe though as it will eventually break. i rinse the probe off under tap water for a few seconds and replace the cap.

you do get a special fluid that is supposed to prolong the life of your pen, but i havent gotten around to using any and so far so good... not ideal i know, but so far so good after 2 years.

yeah. I think you got the best one made yet brother hahahah

batista, if you wana get another yelllw one I would say research and find atleast 10 or so guys who have used the yellow one and get their opinion. 

I am certain you'll find that a healthy percentage of the people who have them have thrown one away, it's simple, look at the price and tell me those will last forever and I will ask you why we all don't have a cheapy. 

answer will come back, because they cheap and don't last. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

yeah. I think you got the best one made yet brother hahahah

batista, if you wana get another yelllw one I would say research and find atleast 10 or so guys who have used the yellow one and get their opinion. 

I am certain you'll find that a healthy percentage of the people who have them have thrown one away, it's simple, look at the price and tell me those will last forever and I will ask you why we all don't have a cheapy. 

answer will come back, because they cheap and don't last. 

100% not disputing that there are much better pens out there LOL and 100% agreeing that i may be pretty lucky hahaha the only thing that pisses me of about it is me..because 1 out of ten times, im gonna forget to turn the thing off and then i have to go buy some more fucken batteries haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crisis those mechanical yellow pens are a roll of the dice hey. 9/10 of them would get returned when I was still working at a hydro store. 

My go-to pen is the HM Digital. Two years in and still accurate, I use a spare to double check every now and then because even this pen is supposed to expire at some point but so far so good. 

• Like 5

So I got this pen Feb 2019, I emailed the shop and asked their advice. In the meantime im probably going to buy those colour compare test until I can get a proper ph pen(this means buying it without my wife finding out lol)

Another question, do you need to calibrate with only the 6.86 solution or must you calibrate with a 4ph solution aswell? I have 2 year old 6.86 solution lol dont think that is a good idea.

Edited by Batista
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Batista said:

So I got this pen Feb 2019, I emailed the shop and asked their advice. In the meantime im probably going to buy those colour compare test until I can get a proper ph pen(this means buying it without my wife finding out lol)

Another question, do you need to calibrate with only the 6.86 solution or must you calibrate with a 4ph solution aswell? I have 2 year old 6.86 solution lol dont think that is a good idea.

for very accurate calibration i believe you should use them both. calibrate to the higher PH, then test in the lower PH and recalibrate, and then back to the high ph and recalibrate until you find the spot where it is accurate on both fronts. lots of rinsing needed, and lots of time. for my needs, calibrating to one or the other suffices

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

for very accurate calibration i believe you should use them both. calibrate to the higher PH, then test in the lower PH and recalibrate, and then back to the high ph and recalibrate until you find the spot where it is accurate on both fronts. lots of rinsing needed, and lots of time. for my needs, calibrating to one or the other suffices
Thanks man, so the shop wasn't much help, pretty much sent me a link to a Ph pen to order lol, I found the same pen less than half the rands on communicate, so just ordered it with the 2 calibration solutions. Still going to pick up my Ph color test as a backup.

• Like 1

Just now, Batista said:

Thanks man, so the shop wasn't much help, pretty much sent me a link to a Ph pen to order lol, I found the same pen less than half the rands on communicate, so just ordered it with the 2 calibration solutions. Still going to pick up my Ph color test as a backup.

just make sure you get the right range of colour strips if thats your determination. most test strips i have seen are for pool calibration and the ph reading starts quite high... i think higher than what we want our ph at its highest. 7-14 i think

the below may be a better choice 

https://www.takealot.com/urs-ph-0-ph-14-urine-saliva-reagent-strip-test/PLID53253511?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp83srIG_8QIVkd_tCh00JwJZEAQYASABEgLlt_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

just make sure you get the right range of colour strips if thats your determination. most test strips i have seen are for pool calibration and the ph reading starts quite high... i think higher than what we want our ph at its highest. 7-14 i think
the below may be a better choice 
https://www.takealot.com/urs-ph-0-ph-14-urine-saliva-reagent-strip-test/PLID53253511?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp83srIG_8QIVkd_tCh00JwJZEAQYASABEgLlt_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks man, I'm going for the general hydroponics one from Futurama, around R120, good backup

• Like 2

• 420SA pinned this topic
  • 420SA unpinned this topic