Extraction fan choice

I would get the ram one. Or the black and red one that @Futurama Hydroponics sells. I have had that specific one for ove 3 years now and is running perfectly. They are all noisy though. AC Infinity Fans are the expensive brand if you can afford it. You have temp and humidity control with that fan.

https://zephyrfarms.co.za/product/ac-infinity-cloudline-t6/

Edited by SkunkPharm
  • Like 1

I've got the IMF one and its impressively quiet. I can't compare to any of the others so I can say which is the quietest, but the IMF seem less popular than the others here on the forum. 

They wont have the high pitch whine that some 12v fans do, but they are sill far from silent. I can't see any way a 20cm inline is more quiet than a 12v fan.

There is quite a bit you can do to lower the noise though. Take a look at how people make boxes for the fans and also mufflers. If you are prepared to go even further insulated ducting will keep it even quieter. Just manage your expectations though "silent" on fans is relative, moving air makes a noise 😞 

E.g https://whatforme.com/inline-fan-noise-reduction-guide and https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/diy-fan-muffler.24352/

Edited by highchome

I use td 500 and very happy with those... 3100 a piece, very silent, 3 speed setups (added later: on medium it draws 41 watts)

16207170582537177768408486530295.thumb.jpg.6a672e5839e0a8544feabef98671b47b.jpg

Addon

I still have 3 150mm metal inliners.. R800 a piece, scratch free  ran for 6 months. If somebody is interested, please send me a private message.

Edited by Prom
addon
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Prom said:

I use td 500 and very happy with those... 3100 a piece, very silent, 3 speed setups

16207170582537177768408486530295.thumb.jpg.6a672e5839e0a8544feabef98671b47b.jpg

Addon

I still have 3 150mm metal inliners.. R800 a piece, scratch free  ran for 6 months. If somebody is intersted, please send me a private message.

I have the TD Silent 250 like this above, and they are silent, not those others, especially the the RAM.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Metal Inline Fan baby. All the noise and all the power! Hasn't failed me for over three years. 

BOOM BABY! I'm running two of the same and they have not skipped a beat. If you want to get fancy AMS can supply speed controllers at a bit of a fee, then you have POWER, RELIABILTY AND CONTROL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thelazyfishermanza said:

Morning all

I'm needing your advice. I'm planning to replace my 12v very noisy extraction fan. Noise is my biggest concern. Whats you take on the below fans? Want to get a 20cm model. e1276dda9d60968bc87c5a14d01ac54a.jpg02a6d8bc2fda9aa61620b573676d3705.jpg29abfbb550434b66e1e0115d0deed256.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

They all perform on a similar level, but we would definitely recommend the Ram Mixed Flow Inline Fan 100% just because the Hydors are a bit louder.  The Metal Inline Fan is stronger but much louder and not necessarily needed depending on tent size. 🙂  

I have some AC Infinity fans and have those RAM inline fans.

The AC Infinity can be very quiet if you set it to a slightly lower speed, at full speed it is loud. They are not cheap though.

The RAM fan is rather quiet if set to the lower speed.

If you want quiet, then look at getting an oversized fan and running it at a lower speed - that way you can still move the right amount of air but with less strain on the fan and lower RPM and therefore it will be quieter.

I think @Ill_Evan has that metal inline and that is noisy as fuck!

• Agree 2

If you can afford it I recommend AC Infinity. They have an external controller with multiple speeds and a probe for temp and humidity control.
The new ones have Bluetooth connectivity plus a feature which I dearly miss on my older ones, which is the ability to set a “base” speed, so even when temp and humidity are within the set limits, it still ticks along, sucking new air in.
With the older ones like mine, if your lung room is stable and your tent is stable within your limits set, the AC infinity will remain off (0 fan speed) which isn’t really great for air turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh sorry forgot to mention. They are very very strong and even on speed 1 or 2 they create great negative pressure in the tent.

They are silent up to speed 3 or 4 and then it’s like a jumbo jet taking off!

• Like 1

I got a Ram fan in Jan (not the adjustable one) but it's too loud for me so getting rid of it. 

I ordered the AC INFINITY S6 from Amazon with controller and ducting and it's cost R3420 with shipping and customs (which arrived today) I was quoted R3200 for the just the fan from Zephyr. 

Ordered the 25th April

Screenshot_20210511_124336.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dookie69 said:

If you can afford it I recommend AC Infinity. They have an external controller with multiple speeds and a probe for temp and humidity control.
The new ones have Bluetooth connectivity plus a feature which I dearly miss on my older ones, which is the ability to set a “base” speed, so even when temp and humidity are within the set limits, it still ticks along, sucking new air in.
With the older ones like mine, if your lung room is stable and your tent is stable within your limits set, the AC infinity will remain off (0 fan speed) which isn’t really great for air turn over.

That's what I was reading and told about the T6 and controller. I ordered the S6 with new controller.

13 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

I got a Ram fan in Jan (not the adjustable one) but it's too loud for me so getting rid of it. 

I ordered the AC INFINITY S6 from Amazon with controller and ducting and it's cost R3420 with shipping and customs (which arrived today) I was quoted R3200 for the just the fan from Zephyr. 

Ordered the 25th April

Screenshot_20210511_124336.jpg

Zephyr just give you the controller which comes with the fan, although it still has a lot of functionality - view RH, temp, adjust between the 10 fan speeds, set the fan to operate in a certain way based on the temp, RH etc. etc.

I have had the misfortune or having to make use of the AC Infinity warranty and Zephyr farms were pretty decent and it's a lot easier dealing with them compared to having to ship the item to the US to get a replacement.

Not sure Zephyr farms will provide support for a product purchased from Amazon and not them.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Zephyr just give you the controller which comes with the fan, although it still has a lot of functionality - view RH, temp, adjust between the 10 fan speeds, set the fan to operate in a certain way based on the temp, RH etc. etc.

I have had the misfortune or having to make use of the AC Infinity warranty and Zephyr farms were pretty decent and it's a lot easier dealing with them compared to having to ship the item to the US to get a replacement.

Not sure Zephyr farms will provide support for a product purchased from Amazon and not them.

Yeah Zephyr doesn't stock the new controller and the price of the old fan S6 is not much different to the T6. I agree that importing things yourself you run that risk of if anything goes wrong. 

best bang for buck is axial futurama holds

best silent fan would be TD series

best air movement would be a metal 20cm. 

things to remember

- 20cm fan in a room smaller than 2 x 2 is gona damage the tent over time, will be too much power. IMO anything bigger, go for it, remember active intakes at that size. 

- if running a HID, I heard running metal fans will last longer, extra heat around your plastic fan motors will cause them to wear out quicker. if you got LED, no concerns

• Like 1

Plenty of good suggestions above but if you looking to save some bucks consider purchasing from fans.co.za. They're essentially wholesalers and there's a good chance the TD and TD silent will be a lot cheaper than the hydro stores. I don't know how it is nowadays but it certainly used to be that way a few years back. 

If you interested, just email them for pricing. Courier can be arranged

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got home to my fan and controller. 
It's very light and can barely hear it. 
The Bluetooth app is also cool and you can adjust the settings pretty easy. 
IMG_20210511_153828.thumb.jpg.eb7aeb5272d977651f456157d7b014c0.jpg
Screenshot_20210511_170239_com.eternal.acinfinity.thumb.jpg.92e3df4e2504ed5c361c926737fee19e.jpg

Thanks for showing us the Smart display. I wonder if the new controller will work on the old (model before Bluetooth) fans?

I agree with S&P TD silent fans being your best local option for a silent fan I got mine from fans.co.za

If speed control is most important then a AC infinity S6 with controller 67 is nice to have I'm yet to install mine but I got the entire AC infinity extraction setup with carbon filter silencer ducting and one way air shutters for just over 9k off Amazon 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dookie69 said:

Thanks for showing us the Smart display. I wonder if the new controller will work on the old (model before Bluetooth) fans?

I think it will only be compatible with the newer fans which have EB motors and not the older ones which had DC motors.

The EB motors have their own separate plug and this powers the controller. The older DC motors had a SMPS which powered the controller, which in turn powered the fan.

• Like 3