highchome (not competing)

highchome

Update: Day 2 of veg

Not too early to count as veg right?

Not a great photo, but also not much to show yet.

image.png.64b0cc396b9868ec612031387b97420c.png

They were under an old blurple light which explains the stretch. I've now got them under a 120W QB. I'll keep the humidity dome for a while. 

The temperature in the tent seems to be going from 19-23 so not terrible, but I'll have to watch that as it gets colder here.

• Like 11

Update: Day 7 of veg

image.png.b5794f7f11a78088e64ca2c55f9d4ec6.png

Left one is growing pretty well.

Middle one, a bit slower but also ok

Right on only has half a true leaf and no additional leaves yet.

I'll pot them into bigger fabric pots tomorrow morning. I should have done that today but ran out of time 😞 

Its pretty cold here at night now. I changed the lighting schedule to be off for 4 hours from midday. That way the lights help keep things warm at night. Currently temps are not going much below 18, max is somewhere around 24. 
I'll see about extra heating over the weekend. I think the overall lower temperatures are slowing things down a bit.

• Like 7

On 5/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, highchome said:

Currently temps are not going much below 18, max is somewhere around 24. 
I'll see about extra heating over the weekend. I think the overall lower temperatures are slowing things down a bit.

if that is your range of temps, i dont thinkyou need to worry about improving it... its pretty spot on

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, highchome said:

But... then what would I fiddle with????

Brah, lol... the struggle is real!! i used to go days without needing to do anything at all...and it would be so irritating that i cant be in the next stage of the grow already haha

but you should have them in pots by now, and if thats what your ladies are looking like 5 days ago, they must be looking real pretty about now 😛 

• Like 2

Update: Day 12 of veg

Theme of the week: DIY

image.png.24087fc21e83010b452fb00e0fdb64c0.png

I planted the jiffies into coco/perlite on Saturday morning. My small fabric pots are a bit too shallow so I've opted to use polystyrene cups for now (fancy right?). I'll move to 4l fabric pots once they outgrow the cups.
The seedlings got a bit leggy before I moved them into the veg tent. So I've added supports using wooden teaspoons and some wool (more fancy!)

Growth is pretty good at the moment. I'm watering with a 30% strength fertilizer mix and slowly working up to full veg strength. Lights are about 50cm above the plants and somewhere around 50% strength. I'm increasing brightness a bit every few days. I'l considering lowering the lights a bit once I'm at 100% and the plants still look happy.

I've quite creatively named the plants T1, T2 and T3 :rastabanana

T1

image.png.d1ecc540e06aa96c2200495306e572e7.png

T2

image.png.8039af3e8c1703b9349df4c4d8949f6c.png

T3

image.png.18d29c31620c5191426a97fd6132fdd7.png

So far so good :) 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CreX said:

you should not need any staking on your seedlngs... which means your light is likely not strong enough

Yeah, sorry that was a kak update from me. Busy week and I did not explain it properly, sorry

The stretch is from the seedling/clone tent. I could not lower the light there because of my other clones. So I was expecting some stretch. Earlier this week I moved the three seedlings into the veg tent under the 240w QB. I'm pretty sure I started off with it too low, which is why I decided to lift it. I'm watching to see how they do under the bigger lights and lowering every other day until I'm happy.

A PAR meter would be nice, but in its absence I'm just aiming not to scorch them. Lower until it is too much then back off a bit (tm)

Thanks again for the advice though :) 

• Like 2

Update: Day 19 of veg

Some pretty clear curling of the leaves today, and T2 (at the back) is growing quite a bit slower that the other two.

I need to check the EC of my ferts, it would appear that its quite a bit too high at the moment. Fortunately I'm growing in coco so correcting this is pretty simple. I've flushed this morning and will test runoff until I'm happy before starting with the newly mixed (and EC tested) ferts. 

image.png.beb2513aead650a3b75bd509c1c660e0.png

Apart from that the plants are looking healthy and strong. My night time temps are now around 17 so I'm watching to see if I need to do anything about that

image.png.5953855455868952219b16823581a8fe.png

Edited by highchome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Prom said:

Don't you want to re-pot those?? Are a bit big for the cup size you use.

Yeah, I'll do that pretty soon, probably this weekend. Coco seems to need much smaller pots than soil, but even so they are due an upgrade now

Update: Week 3 of veg - doh!

This is probably an upsetting image, my apologies 😞 

Repotted

image.png.e84403fc469443c6267ca76d0f1fbc81.png

Probably worth talking about how I screwed up so far.

I almost always grow from clones so my seedling stage growing clearly needs work. The ferts I was using for the seedlings had much too high an EC. I was diluting my veg ferts but was not diluting it nearly enough (or testing the EC :cursing)
That and being a bit distracted by non-cannabis things the last couple of weeks was enough to cause what looks like N toxicity.

I've given the coco a flush and have have started using ferts with a (tested) much lower EC. The new growth is already looking better, so I'm hopeful. As I understand with N toxicity the old leaves don't recover fully/quickly.
T1 and T2 have pretty good root systems and despite the horror that is the drooping there, the leaves look ok. So I'm hopeful. I'm estimating that I've lost a good week, maybe more, due to stunting. Its going to be really interesting
to see how they do from this point on.

Pretty silly mistake, but I'm happy. Just learned something valuable for next time.
Also I'm really glad I'm growing in coco, it make the testing and correction very easy

• Like 7

Update: Week 4 of veg 

These plants are really impressive. Despite my best attempt to poison them they are recovering really well. I'd still say that has cost be a good two weeks, but its fun to watch them recover whatever :) 

The old leaves are still droopy and are starting to yellow. The new leaves are looking nice and healthy 

image.png.488d6b34fff035175e3ed09312a43ce2.png       image.png.61f3637a7d83818cb933c47de9b9c8c9.png      image.png.a93a2f89d6bf490f6123adf308d586c1.png

• Like 3

Update: Week 5 of veg 

Huge improvement this week. I think they are now starting to grow at a more reasonable rate. Still no where near where they needed to be at this point. But I'm enjoying watching them recover at least. 

Plants were all topped, kinda sad removing the healthiest leaves, but all for a good cause :).  I'll let them recover a few days and then think about LST

Pics of before and after

image.png.e71ebbde66928635380a105692d5717a.png       image.png.00bcb9072018a52606f72413ac309ca8.png      

image.png.b6e35aa31266538fe1df64bf3d98cbc1.png          image.png.7c3c0fc1b3595d8da7d8834d7372a924.png              

image.thumb.png.eb88ca0e7e500be124dfa87465086342.png       image.png.48f65d6d3307275dbab075023c7c4652.png      

• Like 7

I'm seeing some sediment in my res after mixing. I've never had that happen before. This has not been my best grow 😛.

FWIW this is what I posted on  @ExoticCannabis2021 page: What I tried last time was, silicone in the res for ~1 hour. Then A, then B, then pH down, then H2O2. Got sediment even like that. Over the weekend I did only A+B (diluted separately first in ~5L) and H2O2, and the water is looking cloudy to me today. Sigh... Next I'll try just A+B and see what that does. 

This is all very strange as I've never had issues before. Also very odd that the res water started out clear and only started looking cloudy ~24 hours after mixing. I'm going to have to play around a bit and see if its an actual problem atm and if so what I can do to fix it. So far no signs of lockout/deficiencies in the competition plants but I have the start, of what looks like it, in one of the other plants I'm growing so I definitely need to work out what is happening

Edited by highchome
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, highchome said:

I'm seeing some sediment in my res after mixing. I've never had that happen before. This has not been my best grow 😛.

FWIW this is what I posted on  @ExoticCannabis2021 page: What I tried last time was, silicone in the res for ~1 hour. Then A, then B, then pH down, then H2O2. Got sediment even like that. Over the weekend I did only A+B (diluted separately first in ~5L) and H2O2, and the water is looking cloudy to me today. Sigh... Next I'll try just A+B and see what that does. 

This is all very strange as I've never had issues before. Also very odd that the res water started out clear and only started looking cloudy ~24 hours after mixing. I'm going to have to play around a bit and see if its an actual problem atm and if so what I can do to fix it. So far no signs of lockout/deficiencies in the competition plants but I have the start, of what looks like it, in one of the other plants I'm growing so I definitely need to work out what is happening

Nice save on the plants!

Your mixing strategy shouldnt cause any lockout or salt build up issues. Unless you are keeping your water standing during the 24 hours and when adding the nutes - then nothing is properly mixing. I drop a water pump in mine so that its continously mixing and then in the DWC res theres an air pump so theres constant water movement. 

Make i ask why you are using H202? Is it for any Algae that might pop up? I know most people only use H202 in res for DWC because of root rot issues. H202 will kill everything. Even anything beneficial to your plants. And incorrect dosage can also harm roots (Just checking if you are aware )

Didnt mind the comments on my thread btw

• Like 2

Update: Week 6 of veg 

I'm finally starting to see good growth again, so I've just done the LST. The photos are from immediately after so everything is still bent down a bit from being pushed around. I'll take photos again in a few days.

image.png.83b85ca2044f95e339138326da3f7c1f.png    image.png.349292387dca8de7f0dbad17af3f5f61.png     

image.png.a3190d9313cc9d63c9c9d629f5a53171.png    image.png.df812d4a77d6e0a8159c58aad1637328.png   image.png.a6334c8f4442f6c9d574c12868bc62dc.png

And yeah, hillbilly style with string and binders. I've found it easy to work with and adjust so good enough for me

My biggest concern atm is what looks like precipitation in my res. I've never had issues before with hortimix so I'm not sure what I'm seeing that now. So far I've tried

• My original (flawed) way: A then B then silicon then pH with no delay between each. This is definitely the worst way
  • What should work in theory: Silicone into the res for +1 hour, then A (diluted), the B (diluted) then pH

For the second method I took out ~5L of water for each of the A + B before putting in the silicon, then added them in after the 1 hour wait. Always stirred really well, and air pump running 100% of the time.

There was no cloudiness with the 2nd option at all, but it went cloudy after ~24 hours. Very strange...

I have recently started adding H2O2 (thanks for asking & the concern @ExoticCannabis2021😄). I'v read some good things about a reasonably low dosage of H2O2 being generally beneficial so was giving that a try. I'm not convinced that its causing the precipitation issues but my next attempt is going to be only A+B and see what happens there.

I've seen no signs of nutrient deficiency with these plants so all ok so far. But I do have a few other similar age ones that have one or two leaves starting to show signs of issues, so this is something I need to get sorted ASAP.

• Like 8

Wow, they look like totally different plants between the week 5 and 6 pic. Very healthy and thick looking lol

Im using the same hortimix, but don't have that thickness, could that be the silicone that's doing that?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Update: Week 7 of veg 

image.png.954a2f847a13d7c106042bc729a83ec9.png

I've been trying to see what combination of the nutrient mix was causing the white precipitate. So far nothing 😂. I'll keep those for a bit longer to see if anything changes. I'm beginning to wonder if it was not just the silicon that I had not let stand for long enough before mixing in the A+B.
Then the cloudiness a few days after the mixing could simply be a bacterial bloom. I usually clean out the res, but I've not been cleaning the airstones. This could be an issue as they are ideal places for bateria to grow. I've bleached them and will try a new res later this week to see. 
Feels like some progress at least, seems unlikely its a bad batch of nutrients at this point :)

The plants are looking good, filling out nicely now. T3 is still the smallest of the three, so I think I'll keep that for clones and only flower the other two.

image.png.54faca667de0ef7a24a6e5cca32c1fdd.png   image.png.152398e71be90b70b74159c9a7fe8112.png 

image.png.ac89111c94db860b6bafaaa3dc63d95e.png

image.png.a75b35ee575e1655bf41607db2776b45.png

• Like 5

On 6/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, highchome said:

I've bleached them and will try a new res later this week to see. 

I mixed a full batch again, giving the silicon several hours to dissolve first and as soon as I added the A mix in the water still went cloudy. Then I remembered that when I purchased the new silicon at the beginning of the year there was a not about it on the hydroponic.co.za. I just checked at its still there "As from mid October 2020, we have witched to a new supplier of Silicon Plus...".

So I think its reasonable to assume that the new supplier's silicon is reacting with the A due to some difference in some way and that has been the actual issue. Possibly with some bacterial issues as I mentioned above. I should then be ok using only the A+B+MPK from now on.

However I've decided to give GHE FloraCoco a try in the near future, thanks for the push @PsyCLown:) I've still got some other plants in hydro outside, I'll continue using hortimix there. I'll note in an update here when I switch these plants over to GHE

• Like 2

• highchome changed the title to highchome (not competing)