highchome (not competing)

highchome

Seeds dropped at around 21:00 today

image.png.afb3b4465beee80d2ddf6fd5a5a934ce.png

Medium: I'll be growing in coco/perlite using hortimix ferts.

Grow space: 1x1x1.8m box lined with pandafilm

Lights for flower: 240w quantum board purchased from @Light It Up

I'm really looking forward to this and watching everyone's grows. Good luck everyone.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, highchome said:

1) Get a proper lights (I finally got a nice QB)

2) I @#$@#%#$%# hate spider mites :cursing

Yea dude!! Tops light you got there... These qb distributors are really stepping up the local grow scene quality! 

And can't grow wrong with the hortimix... What ratio are you following? Supplied ratio or custom? 

• Agree 1

24 hours in water, no roots yet but all three sank, so I'll leave them for another 12 hours. If nothing after that I think I'll plant them in jiffies anyway. Leaving them too longer in water makes nervous. 

I've placed the container on a router, which keeps it warm :). But even so I think its pretty cool at night here, so that may be slowing things down a bit.

6 hours ago, CreX said:

And can't grow wrong with the hortimix... What ratio are you following? Supplied ratio or custom? 

Custom based on the last few grows. I can't remember where I got it from originally, but its roughly this now (EC targets)

Seedling     Early Veg      Late Veg       Early Bloom    Late Bloom    
500          1400           1500           1400           1600

I've not been checking my runoff EC for quite a while now, I've not had any issues. But I think for this grow I'll be more careful and do so.

2 minutes ago, Prom said:

Seeds can drown.... plate them, they are moist... let em breathe.

Yeah and they can drown quickly too. 

These seeds are fresh. Temps are just a bit low after this weather we've had, and I expect everyone's seeds to be above ground within the next 5 days. 

• Like 4

24 hours in water, no roots yet but all three sank, so I'll leave them for another 12 hours. If nothing after that I think I'll plant them in jiffies anyway. Leaving them too longer in water makes nervous. 
I've placed the container on a router, which keeps it warm :). But even so I think its pretty cool at night here, so that may be slowing things down a bit.

Custom based on the last few grows. I can't remember where I got it from originally, but its roughly this now (EC targets)
Seedling     Early Veg      Late Veg       Early Bloom    Late Bloom    500          1400           1500           1400           1600

I've not been checking my runoff EC for quite a while now, I've not had any issues. But I think for this grow I'll be more careful and do so.

I'm on 24 hour's this side as well. Very rare but I usually chuck into grow bombs (jiffies) come 36 hours just in case I've buggered up some how and nature takes over.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Sweet EC targets... I meant what ratio of the 3 so you use? 

How much grow how much micro and how much bloom in veg do you use, and same for flower. 

I ran your same ec values, but for veg, I used 1:1:1 for micro grow and bloom

And in flower I went to 1:0.5:2 micro grow and bloom

Had very decent results like that... 

• Like 1

You shouldn't glass seeds longer as 12 hours, enough soaking for sure 😂 but after 12 hours.. they start to suffocate and get pissed off or even simply die in that glass. The swimmers do in general better as the sinkers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, CreX said:

Sweet EC targets... I meant what ratio of the 3 so you use? 

For veg I use only A and B   1.5A:1B

As soon as a flip I start using bloom (MPK) and switch to a ratio of 8.4A:8.4B:1MPK

For both veg & boom I also add CalMag and Silicone to the mix

Its been a long time since I worked that out, I think it was based on their recommended ratios. So far that worked really well for me. However now that you ask I'll compare to what you are doing

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Prom said:

You shouldn't glass seeds longer as 12 hours, enough soaking for sure 

I've mostly grown from clones, so my germination technique can clearly do with some work. For the next few days I'll going to be obsessively watching for any growth :poke

1 hour ago, highchome said:

For veg I use only A and B   1.5A:1B

As soon as a flip I start using bloom (MPK) and switch to a ratio of 8.4A:8.4B:1MPK

For both veg & boom I also add CalMag and Silicone to the mix

Its been a long time since I worked that out, I think it was based on their recommended ratios. So far that worked really well for me. However now that you ask I'll compare to what you are doing

sjoe, that low on the mpk? i ran out of mpk the most especially when i move to flower.

even the recommended ratio from hortimix uses a butt load more mpk than that. also, thats a high grow value, you want to limit the nitrogen in flower once you flip... 

but to be fair, i have seen guys use hortimix in a wide variety of ways and generally they are led to success.

when i was using hortimix i was getting good per plant weights, above 70g

7 hours ago, CreX said:

sjoe, that low on the mpk? i ran out of mpk the most especially when i move to flower.

but to be fair, i have seen guys use hortimix in a wide variety of ways and generally they are led to success.

Yeah that MPK ratio was worrying me as soon as I sent it. I'll do the numbers again and maybe adjust that a bit, and maybe drop the N. But as you say hortimix seems to be fairly tolerant... Still better to get it closer to ideal, maybe the plants will do even better.

• Agree 1

I'm going to copy @Promand vent my flower tent into my veg tent. My flower and veg light cycle should mean there is always something keeping the veg + clone tent warm.

Unfortunately that wont help for germination as my flower tent is being used for drying this week. Not that nearly having a bunch of dry buds is ever actually unfortunate...

I think I'll use an old fish tank heater in a container under the jiffies for now. Its pretty cold this week and the stress of waiting to see them break the surface after having them in water possibly to long may be to much if they are slow 😛. I don't have heating pads and I'm not sure how much I trust them without temperature control or at the very least some good testing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Prom said:

You shouldn't glass seeds longer as 12 hours, enough soaking for sure 😂 but after 12 hours.. they start to suffocate and get pissed off or even simply die in that glass. The swimmers do in general better as the sinkers. 

I have forgotten seeds in a shot glass before for 72hours. They had 2cm long tap roots and were just fine after planting them. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CreX said:

even the recommended ratio from hortimix

I just realised that we may be talking about different things. My ratios are in weight of the dry ferts, I think you are talking about the ratio once you've mixed a concentrate. Sorry about the confusion there, I should have specified. I skip the concentrate step and make a 60L batch from dry ferts directly.

However I still want to go and check my numbers again, so thanks either way 😄 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, highchome said:

I just realised that we may be talking about different things. My ratios are in weight of the dry ferts, I think you are talking about the ratio once you've mixed a concentrate. Sorry about the confusion there, I should have specified. I skip the concentrate step and make a 60L batch from dry ferts directly.

However I still want to go and check my numbers again, so thanks either way 😄 

see if you cant find some 5l bottles and make some premix with the stuff - its not just coz the site recommends it...it will really take you half the time to make a 60l batch of nutes going forward, if anything, that should excite you the most hahaha

i put double of everything into the 5l premix, along with a drop or 2 of food colour to distinguish them.

i have no input about the dry ferts...  i have only used part B as a dry fert, but its just calcuim nitrate

• highchome changed the title to highchome (not competing)