Organic vs synthetics

Marzcanna

I do not see any "health" advantage.. bio or chemical. The main fact is, not good to burn anything and inhale it. 😁 your lungs work best with clean fresh air.

No other method grows as fast as hydro. Commercial setups all run hydro to my knowing. Hydro just needs most knowledge to run it smooth, things need to be always in the green area. 

But we are home growers... we use a bit what we like. When i bought the first tent in SA, i was very determined to go hydro... that is what i used to run. Bought already the hoses and valves... and then i get told. Go soil 🤪 As the guy knows what he is talking about, no arguement from my side. Would be a bit like argueing with a alien about interstellar space travel. So ended with soil... but... if the law goes legal.. the grow setups for the coffee shop, will be hydro. Just easier for mass production.

I like the simplicity of soil, organic fertilizer and rain water. No other real reason otherwise.

Grow how you enjoy... in general, people enjoy something, ends nice 😃 If you want to know what is in your weed... send it to a lab. They do all from potency to heavy metal content..

And if you are not happy with your grow results... why not try one of the others methods.. might suit you more.. can end way better as before. 

Edited by Prom
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CreX said:

for my general outdoor plants and shrubs on my balcony, i do like Seagro! the plants love it as well... and i also have some Biobizz grow that i alternate with for my plants in a soil medium. and then spot fixes with half strength salts if i see anything unhappy.

my dad has a nice compost heap that i have been chucking some used coco into to try make the compost a bit lighter - i hadnt really thought about the salts in the coco as that coco i dont wash. although the coco amounts for like 1% of the heap, i dont fear im in trouble... but when i can afford coco in a bad already buffered... then the compost heap will be getting loads more coco rapidly and then i may sit with some shit

thanks man

and thanks @Marzcanna for a sweet debate - shot man, i like when emotions get involved and you see everyones passion shine through.

Shot,theres more threads coming to bring out the passion in all of us dont worry 😁:-stoned as i said I like to post debatable topics because its where we all jump in, in topics where we all agree doesnt have much life because you just need one person to post, it like creating a topic should we water our plants? 🤭

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Prom said:

I do not see any "health" advantage.. bio or chemical. The main fact is, not good to burn anything and inhale it. 😁 your lungs work best with clean fresh air.

No other method grows as fast as hydro. Commercial setups all run hydro to my knowing. Hydro just needs most knowledge to run it smooth, things need to be always in the green area. 

But we are home growers... we use a bit what we like. When i bought the first tent in SA, i was very determined to go hydro... that is what i used to run. Bought already the hoses and valves... and then i get told. Go soil 🤪 As the guy knows what he is talking about, no arguement from my side. Would be a bit like argueing with a alien about interstellar space travel. So ended with soil... but... if the law goes legal.. the grow setups for the coffee shop, will be hydro. Just easier for mass production.

I like the simplicity of soil, organic fertilizer and rain water. No other real reason otherwise.

Grow how you enjoy... in general, people enjoy something, ends nice 😃 If you want to know what is in your weed... send it to a lab. They do all from potency to heavy metal content..

And if you are not happy with your grow results... why not try one of the others methods.. might suit you more.. can end way better as before. 

Facts, well said. I agree with hydro aswel just our load shedding is a turn off for me

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 1

Shot,theres more threads coming to bring out the passion in all of us dont worry :-stoned as i said I like to post debatable topics because its where we all jump in, in topics where we all agree doesnt have much life because you just need one person to post, it like creating a topic should we water our plants? 
I think we should burn our plants, not water them. Haha

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

I've been growing in soil with biobizz for close to 10 years but I'm building a new room and I will be using autopots with EHG in there as it seems like less maintenance filling a reservoir once a week. 

I have a friend who grows seriously and he uses EHG and autopots. For me all his weed doesn't matter the strain has a similar taste in them and I believe this is due to salts. All my biobizz weed has a similar sweet taste again. 

For me there is a definite difference in taste between salts and biobizz. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Green said:

I've been growing in soil with biobizz for close to 10 years but I'm building a new room and I will be using autopots with EHG in there as it seems like less maintenance filling a reservoir once a week. 

I have a friend who grows seriously and he uses EHG and autopots. For me all his weed doesn't matter the strain has a similar taste in them and I believe this is due to salts. All my biobizz weed has a similar sweet taste again. 

For me there is a definite difference in taste between salts and biobizz. 

I had friend who did the same, I think I know of this certain  "taste" you are describing. I also had a similar taste when I run coco and synthetics, maybe that's what made me start to question synthetics, and i only say this because Ive used coco with organics aswel and for me just seemed each plant did had an unique terpene profile. We have so many strains with different terpene profiles, it made sense that every strain had a different taste to it, but some may also lean on to question, the cure, which obviously holds alot of value, and does play a big role in final product in every way. But we not talking about a hay taste you usally get with bad cure, but with that said, I have grown awesome stuff with a good flavour using synthetics. Which makes me question if so maybe it's the different products? But than, what does that actually mean? I ll leave that one for everyone to decide for themselves. I will continue to use synthetics where it suits me and for my type of grow but I do lean more towards organic. Atleast for now 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 2

faqme 

you guys where all off work today?

I am only getting back now and there is 4 pages on this thread!?

I will get to reading the whole thread,

@PsyCLown 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331132826_The_Impact_of_Chemical_Fertilizers_on_our_Environment_and_Ecosystem

that link is to an abstract from a book written by a couple of guys who I'm sure you'll be able to indulge, here is the list of authors and their qualifications, read most of it, it's quite a read. *if you scroll down on that page you'll find the whole chapter

Screenshot_20210426-211611_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.75c3cd598b32220f5c5f201fd19decf6.jpg

here is a PDF, not sure if you can get into it? but it's just about how any synthetic nitrate even the most subtle forms in our drinking water to the more heavy stuff like ammonium nitrate being way more harmfull all have links to the hemoglobin disorder.

nitratmethemog.pdf 

any quick search on the old google bitch on methemoglobinemia and its relations to synthetic nitrates will give you the info. 

I just think, we can do it without synthetics, but to convince the world to do one thing is insane hahah that's not what I'm after. 

anyway, let me see what I missed..

*edit

Edited by Naughty.Psychonaut
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Adansonia digitata said:

Thank you for this post.. You are spot on, particularly when it comes to commercial farmers. All commercial farmers worth their salt make use of an agronomist who analysis the soils and makes the calculations for amending accordingly prior to planting, as well as during to make sure the lands are as productive as possible, while not depleting the soil to a point of no return. 

Regarding flushing.. again, you are spot on. The whole flushing thing is made up WOO-WOO.  

brodie, have a look at this man...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

faqme 

@PsyCLown 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331132826_The_Impact_of_Chemical_Fertilizers_on_our_Environment_and_Ecosystem

that link is to an abstract from a book written by a couple of guys who I'm sure you'll be able to indulge, here is the list of authors and their qualifications, read most of it, it's quite a read.

Screenshot_20210426-211611_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.75c3cd598b32220f5c5f201fd19decf6.jpg

here is a PDF, not sure if you can get into it? but it's just about how any synthetic nitrate even the most subtle forms in our drinking water to the more heavy stuff like ammonium nitrate being way more harmfull all have links to the hemoglobin disorder.

nitratmethemog.pdf 174.44 kB · 1 download  

any quick search on the old google bitch on methemoglobinemia and its relations to synthetic nitrates will give you the info. 

I just think, we can do it without synthetics, but to convince the world to do one thing is insane hahah that's not what I'm after. 

Very interesting! I ll have to read this, thanx for sharing 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

with that said, you can present all the evidence in the world and people will believe whatever they feel is right for them.

This is ultimately what it comes down to.

You can lead a horse to water but cannot force it to drink.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 4/26/2021 at 9:31 PM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

faqme 

@PsyCLown 

that link is to an abstract from a book written by a couple of guys who I'm sure you'll be able to indulge, here is the list of authors and their qualifications, read most of it, it's quite a read. *if you scroll down on that page you'll find the whole chapter

nitratmethemog.pdf 174.44 kB · 3 downloads  

*edit

So I finally got around to having a read, the nitrate issue is more for drinking water though - this is where big commercial farms play a role - excess nutes running off into rivers, dams, wells etc.

I do agree that a change towards more organic and natural ways, or simply a reduction in the amount of fertilizers being used would be more ideal. However costs and effectiveness play a big role as we are talking about our food supply here.

For us home growers, quantities are tiny and typically the run off would not end up in rivers and dams and such, also water treatment plants I would like to think should be removing most if not all of the nitrates.

It is no secret that water facilities in some first world countries are shocking and there is a reason a lot of people only drink bottled water - in SA our tap water is actually pretty good in comparison to many other places.

I'd still recommend a filter though, something I have been wanting to get for myself but have not yet.

In terms of nitrates in plants, there is this article: https://fluence.science/science-articles/should-growers-be-concerned-about-nitrate-content-in-plants/

As for that chapter 5, I did not read it all but had a brief read through the first few pages.

Once again it seems to tie back to the long term effect of the way most commercial farmers do things, which certainly leaves room for improvement.

A combination of natural ways with supplementation should be reached first, inorganic / synthetic nutrients certainly have their place and advantages as they are immediately available to the plants and if a deficiency is noticed in crops, it can be treated and remedied much faster than an organic approach.

Once again, we are talking about changes will may effect our food supply. Shortage of food is a big issue and leads to higher prices, increased farming costs or reduction in yield once again effect the price and supply. This naturally has a knock on effect on our economy.

I am not sure farmers will get to a point where they can win, everyone wants food and needs food and they need to try achieve the best yield possible to maximize their profits and to ensure they can help reach the required supply and at the lowest cost possible.

Moving away from synthetic nutes will take time and will likely be costly and once again likely effect the supply. However it still leads to issues of pests and weeds affecting crops.

I do not see it as much of an issue or concern as some members have commented. Referring to synthetic nutes as a poison, well, if you want to go that far then really there are other substances which we consume which are far worse.

It is a similar concept and fight as the one we currently have going on with vehicles and fuel, it is not good for the environment and we all know it yet I am sure majority if not all of us here make use of cars which consume petrol or diesel.

We also all eat food, I doubt many if any members here are able to avoid foods which were grown with synthetic nutes - it isn't very realistic or viable at the moment for majority of the popular to do so. Processed foods would typically all come from sources where the plants were grown with synthetic nutes. In that regard, it becomes a bit contradictory.

Cannabis is consumed in multiple ways, mostly by heating it up though. Smoking is not good for us, period.

I really feel the dislike towards synesthetic nutes being used for cannabis is blown out of proportion, especially for us home growers.

It really is not nearly as bad as some like to think. In the bigger scheme of things, change is certainly needed - but in the even bigger picture there are many other things where a big change is once again needed.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

We can conclude that organic in terms of terpenes and flavour might be better than synthetics, but How do we view Semi-Organics than? Does it effect smoke & taste? It's safe to say that at the right dosage of synthetic in combination with organic we can get explosive growth. But does it negativly effect something else? 😕 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

So I finally got around to having a read, the nitrate issue is more for drinking water though - this is where big commercial farms play a role - excess nutes running off into rivers, dams, wells etc.

I do agree that a change towards more organic and natural ways, or simply a reduction in the amount of fertilizers being used would be more ideal. However costs and effectiveness play a big role as we are talking about our food supply here.

For us home growers, quantities are tiny and typically the run off would not end up in rivers and dams and such, also water treatment plants I would like to think should be removing most if not all of the nitrates.

It is no secret that water facilities in some first world countries are shocking and there is a reason a lot of people only drink bottled water - in SA our tap water is actually pretty good in comparison to many other places.

I'd still recommend a filter though, something I have been wanting to get for myself but have not yet.

In terms of nitrates in plants, there is this article: https://fluence.science/science-articles/should-growers-be-concerned-about-nitrate-content-in-plants/

As for that chapter 5, I did not read it all but had a brief read through the first few pages.

Once again it seems to tie back to the long term effect of the way most commercial farmers do things, which certainly leaves room for improvement.

A combination of natural ways with supplementation should be reached first, inorganic / synthetic nutrients certainly have their place and advantages as they are immediately available to the plants and if a deficiency is noticed in crops, it can be treated and remedied much faster than an organic approach.

Once again, we are talking about changes will may effect our food supply. Shortage of food is a big issue and leads to higher prices, increased farming costs or reduction in yield once again effect the price and supply. This naturally has a knock on effect on our economy.

I am not sure farmers will get to a point where they can win, everyone wants food and needs food and they need to try achieve the best yield possible to maximize their profits and to ensure they can help reach the required supply and at the lowest cost possible.

Moving away from synthetic nutes will take time and will likely be costly and once again likely effect the supply. However it still leads to issues of pests and weeds affecting crops.

I do not see it as much of an issue or concern as some members have commented. Referring to synthetic nutes as a poison, well, if you want to go that far then really there are other substances which we consume which are far worse.

It is a similar concept and fight as the one we currently have going on with vehicles and fuel, it is not good for the environment and we all know it yet I am sure majority if not all of us here make use of cars which consume petrol or diesel.

We also all eat food, I doubt many if any members here are able to avoid foods which were grown with synthetic nutes - it isn't very realistic or viable at the moment for majority of the popular to do so. Processed foods would typically all come from sources where the plants were grown with synthetic nutes. In that regard, it becomes a bit contradictory.

Cannabis is consumed in multiple ways, mostly by heating it up though. Smoking is not good for us, period.

I really feel the dislike towards synesthetic nutes being used for cannabis is blown out of proportion, especially for us home growers.

It really is not nearly as bad as some like to think. In the bigger scheme of things, change is certainly needed - but in the even bigger picture there are many other things where a big change is once again needed.

I agree, here and there, 

however, if you put it like that, the advantage of synthetic nutes is the cutback on crop time and upscale yield. this is to "feed the masses" right? 

here's where it starts to hurt, the planet is over populated. as harsh as it sounds we shouldn't be accompanying for the masses in the way we do. it stems from supplying the demand and the demand is the problem. 

it's all for economic gain, which I am firmly against. I would love to move away from all the destruction we cause, not add to it. where I see fit. 

again taking things back to what I stated in my first post here on this thread, and that is that I believe synthetic nutes shouln't be available at all. even the process of making them is harmfull to our environment.

but hey, I am not here to change the world, lol. 

also as many of us would agree here on the forum, it's always quality over quantity, and that comes with organics. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

That discussion is on for decades 😁

I make it more simple. The better you can dial in your strain to your fertilizer, light, climate, counts more compared to what medium or fertilizer you use... bio or chemical. The better you know the strain you grow, the better the result.

• Agree 7

14 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

There definitely is a global shift towards a more sustainable approach and it really doesn't have to include finger pointing or forcing people to change their ways of getting a desired outcome. I do not have anything against people who use synthetic fertilizers at all. When it's a home grower trying to get some bud out decent home grow, that's a win! 

I do feel as though I can tell straight away when the bud was grown with salts. It really is a different type of experience, then depending on how well said bud was grown or fertilized then cured, you sometimes get a snap, crackle and a pop, almost like someone snuck some pop rocks in there... that evidently cant be organic matter being burned (this is a inorganic salt residue) - also worth mentioning this can happen in full organic methods as nutrients in the organic form first need to be converted into an inorganic form for uptake (which happens in the plant). 

There are no stories of negative effects I've come across to support that nitrates or nitrate residues in the fruits are bad for human beings who ingest them / there are however studies of nitrate residues being an attractant for pathogens and disease. I must also agree with the fact that there are way more unhealthy things we folk do and probably wont stop doing anytime soon, one of those being ALCOHOL! man how I love my dopskies. And we all know how that story ends, proven many times over.

But really. No hate for home grower using synthetics or anything like that, growing weed is already hard enough. 

My only hate is for the commercial industries not observing the crucial rolls they are playing in climate control and managing their soils better. Its complete and total ignorance, monocropping, heavy tilling, bare ground (that's left because it doesn't work anymore) and the likes. This is who I don't like - Big Farmer, haha dick heads. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

We can conclude that organic in terms of terpenes and flavour might be better than synthetics, but How do we view Semi-Organics than? Does it effect smoke & taste? It's safe to say that at the right dosage of synthetic in combination with organic we can get explosive growth. But does it negativly effect something else? 😕 

You can get the best of both worlds if your timing is impeccable, and you know how fast you are depleting your organic matter, which takes out a whole host of benefits, also rendering many other nutrients in the soil unavailable for such a time, then it becomes a guessing games especially for the next plants if you using the same soil

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I agree, here and there, 

however, if you put it like that, the advantage of synthetic nutes is the cutback on crop time and upscale yield. this is to "feed the masses" right? 

here's where it starts to hurt, the planet is over populated. as harsh as it sounds we shouldn't be accompanying for the masses in the way we do. it stems from supplying the demand and the demand is the problem. 

it's all for economic gain, which I am firmly against. I would love to move away from all the destruction we cause, not add to it. where I see fit. 

again taking things back to what I stated in my first post here on this thread, and that is that I believe synthetic nutes shouln't be available at all. even the process of making them is harmfull to our environment.

but hey, I am not here to change the world, lol. 

also as many of us would agree here on the forum, it's always quality over quantity, and that comes with organics. 

I agree, the world is over populated. Ultimately things are done for profit, the issue stems from capitalism I feel. As long as there is the benefit of some people being better off than others and in a way having more power than others by doing these things which are not always good for the environment and Earth, they will continue to do so. It applies to many different industries though and stems much further than synthetic nutes and I feel the synthetic nutes are the least of our worries.

Your statement of synthetic nutes not being available at all, well, it is a bit harsh and there are loads of other things which should be "banned" before synthetic nutes are.

I strongly disagree with you on your statement that organic grows lead to better quality bud over synthetic. Based on my experience, this is far from the case.

As Prom has mentioned, there are also a looot of other factors which will play a far bigger role in the end result of your grow than the medium or nutrients being used.

@ORGANinc. I agree with most of what you say, although I have never experienced any pops or cracks from my bud - be it the organic or synthetic grows. Sounds pretty dodge to me.

We do need to keep in mind that many people who grow cannabis to sell, regardless of what nutrients and medium they use... there is a lot of other things they use and do which I feel can be dangerous and not good for the end users, however I believe it is done because it is cheap and easy. Ultimately, the wrong reason to do it. I am not saying everyone who grows to sell does it, but there are growers out there who simply do not give a fuck and do it anyways.

I strong disagree with some of the things they do and I likely do not even know the half of it.

When we think about it, the same happens with pretty much any other illicit substances out there as well, being cut and containing adulterants.

Knowing where your weed comes from is a big pro and the best way to do this is to grow it yourself!

Or know the person who grows it, perhaps they're a friend of yours who you know well and can trust.

Alcohol consumption, as well as cigarettes both offer no medicinal benefit but can be addictive.
Both lead to multiple deaths, although I think alcohol more than cigarettes.

Ultimately, I want to try get the point across that when it comes to going cannabis for oneself.

There is no right or wrong decision as to whether to make use of synthetic nutes or organic nutes.

One is not better than the other. One is not safer than the other. It really comes down to personal preference and I feel all growers should do grows with both to experience the difference themselves and make up their mind themselves and not going with the flow of what others out there are saying.

Also making use of some natural / organic aspects of growing and combining it with synthetic nutrients I feel offers a very good solution to very happy plants with great growth and good yields as well as excellent top notch bud. I know a lot are against this and feel that synthetic nutes is like taking alcohol or bleach to bacteria, although based on my experience this is far from the case.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Marzcanna said:

I have to disagree with you there.

Based on my personal experiences, I did not notice any improvement in terpenes / flavour of bud grown with organic ferts vs bud grown with synesthetic ferts.

I'd love to be able to do a side by side grow, same cut and then send samples from both plants to a lab for testing and see what the results say.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I have to disagree with you there.

Based on my personal experiences, I did not notice any improvement in terpenes / flavour of bud grown with organic ferts vs bud grown with synesthetic ferts.

I'd love to be able to do a side by side grow, same cut and then send samples from both plants to a lab for testing and see what the results say.

Fair enough, I have however done a side by side for this same reason, as my friend swore by better flavor with organics, at the time I was all about synthetics and yield, so to keep it relevant I had the same strain, same medium, same watering method, only difference was in one I used organic fert, the rest synthetic. 

The organic in my case did taste better, the synthetic like most of the 90% of the times had this "certain" taste to it. I think it's the same taste people were referring to in previous posts. 

But without proper lab tests its hard to be sure of it, and I cant say it is defiantly better in terms of terpene profile. It goes to say its again a 50/50, some say its better others don't find a difference   

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 3