Drying in Joburg

AlexJC

my first harvest is nearly ready for drying now i know exactly what and how to do everything but i have 1 small problem, the only place that i can dry my weed is in the garage hung from the rafters but during the day the temperatures get to 23C in the afternoon and in the garage its not much cooler anyone have any suggestions or alternative i would appreciate the help

Hi, you can do that, the heat isn't the best but as long as there isn't more than 25deg you will be okay mostly. 

Unfortunately, I havent got a layout of your place or options, so my advice can only be, as dark as possible, and cold as possible, till the small branches break clean, and snap.

18deg, at around 55 RH, for 14 days in the dark, then jar for a cure, perfect. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Hi, you can do that, the heat isn't the best but as long as there isn't more than 25deg you will be okay mostly. 

Unfortunately, I havent got a layout of your place or options, so my advice can only be, as dark as possible, and cold as possible, till the small branches break clean, and snap.

18deg, at around 55 RH, for 14 days in the dark, then jar for a cure, perfect. 

thats my problem ive been monitoring the temps in there for the last couple of days and it usually reaches around 24.9C. if i were to place a fan in there aswell would that help or counteract the high temps?

(also its a double garage with tin roof but we hardly ever open it during the day so it might get too hot)

Edited by AlexJC

A fan, can help, but not directly on the plant, oscillating for sure.

Anything over 25 will burn smell and taste off, not much, so if you cant, it wont hurt that badly.

I've had that too, and it didnt make a difference that much honestly. 

My mentioned, is for best results only🙌

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
  • Like 3

All the above sounds about right. There's anther method more advanced curing called "Sublimation". 

I got this right the 2nd time around , the best tasting buds i have tasted and amazing bag appeal. It baiscly takes the same principle of "cyro-freeze" cure but with a frost - less freezer. Dispite the grim idea of it, like I said it's probly the best cure I have ever done, first time was not so good, yet way better than "water - curing". I encourage people to do some research on it, if you have hot temps and bad RH with buds drying up as fast as 2 days than this method will work for you. Once you perfect it, you probly won't hang dry again 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Anything over 25 will burn smell and taste off, not much, so if you cant, it wont hurt that badly.

ok thanks will keep you posted on my progress

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

There's anther method more advanced curing called "Sublimation". 

Hi @Marzcanna I'm interested to hear how you did that. I don't think its derailing this thread too much... but maybe best to start a new thread?  

After a quick google, it looks like the simplest way is with dry ice in a normal freezer. Did you do that or something else?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, highchome said:

Hi @Marzcanna I'm interested to hear how you did that. I don't think its derailing this thread too much... but maybe best to start a new thread?  

After a quick google, it looks like the simplest way is with dry ice in a normal freezer. Did you do that or something else?

No, not dried ice altho it goes on the same principles. I ll post a thread tonight about how to do it and the science to back it up. Short summary, you need a "frost-less" freezer to be able to do it, you hang dry for a day or 2 than (I now cut and straight into freezer) throw them in a shoe box or plastic container with some bratheable material at the bottom, leave in there for 2 weeks after that, remove it from the freezer and let it stand out for an hour a day for a week, after that jar it and continue curing as normal. There's a thread on the international forums stating the process better , it's there I found out about this, after the 2nd try, What I found was that my buds lost almost no weight and the trepen profile was out of this world. Note: you need a frost-less freezer. Do not try with a normal freezer, save your bud 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

one more thing if the temp stays at around 24-25C how long would you estimate i dry it in there for?

high temperature does accelerate drying (you should avoid all over 26, same rule as for flower. I prefer to dry at 20).. but the main component is RH. if you can keep that at 60%, things will end good. If your RH goes below 50%, you are toasting your weed and curing will stop when to dry, till you have moisture levels back into range again, 58-68%, sweet spot is 60-65%.. I aim for 62% (Boveda bags ^^). If climate goes to dry, I put buckets of water with cotton cloth hanging in the buckets to accelerate vaporization or in the dry tent i fill the floor with water (tray) and let ventilation run on humidity control alone. needs not much air flow. "Forgot ^^ and over 68% you will have mold forming.. very clear no go zone.. let those dehumidifiers run!!"

My own drying procedure is rather simple.

First day I like it a bit more dry, 50% RH. 

Second day I try to set it at 60% and then take plants depending how heavy they are. Anything dry before 5 days passed.. I kinda failed. Anything later.. better job done. 

I hang whole plants or put buds on dry racks.. depending on the climate. When it is rather humid, I dress the buds for racks to dry on. If more dry, I hang whole plants to slow down drying process with more moisture to get rid off. Racks I usually use in combination with a dehumidifier. So we really talk wet humid climate.

The better you do your drying and curing, the better the result.. but just the procedure will not turn bad weed to good weed.. genetics always rule ^^

Edited by Prom
Forgot ADDON
  • Like 4