Tortoni F1 -> F2

Totemic

Just now, SAgrower said:
2 hours ago, Totemic said:
When your male starts doing this emoji4.png
IMG_20210528_112022.thumb.jpg.de5e542491e04cad9f40d8bb01be9c94.jpg
Can't wait to see his expression in a week or so more... 

Apologies for the kak question but what am I looking at here, besides it being a male? What is it in the picture that excites you?

The standing trichomes that are developing

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SAgrower said:
24 minutes ago, Totemic said:
The standing trichomes that are developing

Thanks. Never knew males produced trichomes

Good breeding males push globular or standing trichomes... The latter being sought-after. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Hey brother, thanks for the like on my update, and have to say that your plants are looking so beautiful and healthy, big respect. 

Also your layout was so similar to mine I had to comment, haha.

Thanks man. All thanks to FF premium, biobizz, and light from @Light It Up

Really have not been spending too much time with them at all. They only get attention when they need water. 

Once I flip to flower and the phenos really start expressing is when I'm up in their face all day every day with the loupe lol 

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 4

Day 1 of 12/12.

And we are down to 9. Removed the 4 taller phenos that were back row. They'll flower outdoors. 

The remaining 9 are +/- 40cm tall, and pushing the 14th node at 7 weeks. 

IMG_20210602_091203.thumb.jpg.f52489f2aaf8b5f56d35d587215f7461.jpg

IMG_20210602_093822.thumb.jpg.5dea124cd94f60a3926b92a8137c14d7.jpg

IMG_20210602_091234.jpg

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Day 1 of 12/12.

And we are down to 9. Removed the 4 taller phenos that were back row. They'll flower outdoors. 

IMG_20210602_091234.jpg

The Master shows the way.... sexy shit, bru! 😍😁

But why flower outside? So little sun, indoor you get best idea how well each develops buds. I could only judge the gelatos indoor. The winner in potency, taste and bud size only showed indoor how different she really is. 

9 minutes ago, Prom said:

The Master shows the way.... sexy shit, bru! 😍😁

But why flower outside? So little sun, indoor you get best idea how well each develops buds. I could only judge the gelatos indoor. The winner in potency, taste and bud size only showed indoor how different she really is. 

I'm only interested in the more compact phenos for this F2 run. I may want to do a separate run on the stretched pheno group at a later time. 

They are females though and don't just want to kill them. They will simply take up too much space in the next 3 weeks.

Even these 9 are going to compete in no time flat. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

If i would have the space... would more then welcome to finish those beauties. First day 12/12 😁 double size in 2 weeks, yep, they need space 😂

Just stunning... cant look enough on the middle pic. 4 in a 1.2x1.2 and should be full 😊

• Like 1

Day 1 of 12/12.
IMG_20210602_091234.thumb.jpg.3438db0d4054ed196a3e53842d097447.jpg
Girls are perky hey , now the fun starts

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Prom said:

If i would have the space... would more then welcome to finish those beauties. First day 12/12 😁 double size in 2 weeks, yep, they need space 😂

Just stunning... cant look enough on the middle pic. 4 in a 1.2x1.2 and should be full 😊

4 in a 1.2? thats a lot of additional veg time lol... id rather flood the tent SoG style, or with my totes.

i get 6 plants per tote and can fit 2.5 totes in a 1.2 space... or 15 plants . 

same canopy area covered, but with 4 times the amount of root systems contributing to the final harvest.

although, if i ever do decide to comply with the law, 4 per 1.2 would be the way i would need to go.... bleh

• Agree 2

Yeah, I would approach these girls differently if I was pushing for max yield, although they'll probably still hit a good yield. 

To me it's important to illustrate that when you are pheno hunting, it's one thing to saturate a space with as many little plants as possible in tiny pots and push single colas on a stick of a stalk if you are only interested in a floral outcome.

To me pheno hunting is more a whole plant experience, with its natural expression fully expressed. 

Part of breeding is also being ruthless with plant selection. On this run only 2 males are still around, and 9 females, so 11 of the 25 left.

Any one or more of these girls could go hermi on me in the next few weeks, or show traits I'm not interested in. 

I may not even find a keeper this round. I may find a few. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Let's talk stress testing. It's the one most important thing that many of the newer breeders aren't doing. Stress testing should be considered as part of your selection process. 

I stress test all my plants throughout their life cycle in an attempt to get them to hermi on me. Those plants that survive the stress I consider sexually stable. 

Stress testing should be an indoor endeavor. These plants really don't express their hermi nature easily outdoors. 

Intense light

All my plants are blasted with more light than they are comfortable with from germination

Interrupted dark

I Interrupt the dark cycle a few times during the first few weeks of Flowering. 

pH issues

This is one I don't really do as causing pH swings in soil is hard to come back from. Compared to coco/Hydro. 

Over feeding

Simply over feeding N, running the soil hot. 

Over/under watering

Self explanatory. I run my plants on a wet/dry cycle. When I say dry I mean the plant is wilting from dryness. 

My plants may look healthy and perfectly grown, but they are being grown at their uppermost limits. 

These are all the most common stresses that plants are likely to be exposed to by new growers or just in general. 

If you are breeding and you are not doing this with your plants, you are skipping a crucial step in eliminating hermi plants.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

Hey @Totemic hope all is well your side!

I would like to quickly guage a few personal stances and hopefully give myself and others some motivation. 

since before growing cannabis and other stuff I have always been intrigued by breeding for genetic isolation, seeing what you doing here and being able to follow along is like mining for charcoal for years and one day you lift the pickaxe and boom there's the shiney nugget of gold that just happens upon my way! 

really appreciate your time and effort man!

So, if you don't mind me asking, here's what I would like to know. How long have you been doing this? When did you start taking cannabis growing serious and pushing your first harvest? How long did it take you to go from just growing to breeding? 

a guy I know been growing for 13 years and only now starting to think about breeding. he has done a few small breeding projects, but nothing really to write home about. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

So, if you don't mind me asking, here's what I would like to know. How long have you been doing this? When did you start taking cannabis growing serious and pushing your first harvest? How long did it take you to go from just growing to breeding? 

a guy I know been growing for 13 years and only now starting to think about breeding. he has done a few small breeding projects, but nothing really to write home about. 

Hey man, 

My history with plant breeding predates breeding cannabis, and I used to work with pepper plants. 

I started growing cannabis 2010, and by 2012 started tinkering with breeding, with limited success, as I was working with landrace bag seeds. 

By end 2013 though I had settled very seriously into breeding my Chocolope NL line, and spent a few years just working that one line, really getting to know it. I made a few other crosses in that time too, but they never got the attention the CNL did. 

Started out crossing the CNL line in 2018. 

Also started making feminized seeds in 2018, and applying what I've learnt over the years to other strains. 

Last year I decided that im taking it to another challenging level, to create a few poly hybrids to navigate what those lines will bring to possible backcrosses onto both my CNL and Chocolate Gelato lines. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:27 AM, Totemic said:

Day 1 of 12/12.

IMG_20210602_091234.jpg

What I like is the fact that these babies grow stems you can hang a pound on.. Thick and sturdy as if they grew up outdoors in the South Easter.. No stakes no scrog needed..?👌👍🌱

On 6/5/2021 at 9:02 AM, Totemic said:

Hey man, 

My history with plant breeding predates breeding cannabis, and I used to work with pepper plants. 

I started growing cannabis 2010, and by 2012 started tinkering with breeding, with limited success, as I was working with landrace bag seeds. 

By end 2013 though I had settled very seriously into breeding my Chocolope NL line, and spent a few years just working that one line, really getting to know it. I made a few other crosses in that time too, but they never got the attention the CNL did. 

Started out crossing the CNL line in 2018. 

Also started making feminized seeds in 2018, and applying what I've learnt over the years to other strains. 

Last year I decided that im taking it to another challenging level, to create a few poly hybrids to navigate what those lines will bring to possible backcrosses onto both my CNL and Chocolate Gelato lines. 

thanks man!

well surely it helps a bunch when you already got a handle on breeding with plants! 

I assume you already had the space when working with peppers and this is key to doing a project like this and is what is keeping a lot of people from doing it.

pretty cool you found a line to work with and invest in! 

with the poly hybrids you expect a bigger gene pool and a "new" set of different phenos and new traits to work with? or do I have this wrong? you still after a certain trait? 

53 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

thanks man!

well surely it helps a bunch when you already got a handle on breeding with plants! 

I assume you already had the space when working with peppers and this is key to doing a project like this and is what is keeping a lot of people from doing it.

pretty cool you found a line to work with and invest in! 

with the poly hybrids you expect a bigger gene pool and a "new" set of different phenos and new traits to work with? or do I have this wrong? you still after a certain trait? 

Space has always been an issue. Less so now than a few years ago, but I've always tried to compensate for this by making arrangements with local growers around me, and I have patches of 50 here and patches of 100 there

With the polyhybrids I have expanded the gene pool I can work with tremendously. There will be countless new pheno expressions as I take each line to F2 and on

I'm not focused on any single trait, rather looking for anything that is a positive step forward. 

• Like 5