Spidermites and CO2

CG420za

Howzit ladies and gents? As the title suggests, I'm planning to nuke my grow tent.

I have 4 girls in week 5 of 9. On Saturday I noticed that I have these fuckers chowing my babies. I don't see any webs just yet, but the spotting on my leaves makes me nervous. Ideally I'd like to use ladybugs to get them, but it's not available to buy in SA at the moment.

I have a bottle of pyrol, isopropyl alchohol and neem, but I want to avoid spraying any sort of pesticide. I did some research and it seems CO2 is an inexpensive solution. I do however have concerns regarding the amount of CO2 and the amount of time that I should bomb the tent for. Also, is there a chance that I could kill my plants using this method?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Kill your plants.. not sure.. piss off.. yes. Over 1100ppm CO2 they do not like that anymore. Question is.. how long you need to kill the pest 😁 i like radical solutions.. so a clear 👍 from my side. Just try to avoid killing yourself in the process. If you should get the idea to use a fire extinguisher.. please.. make a video 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Is it really an inexpensive solution though. Are you looking to use a co2 bottle or a co2 fire extinguisher to pump co2 into the tent?

I have a C02 tank that I used to used for paintball may moons ago. The ASA screws onto the bottle so I can vent it in there that way. I'll tape the zips with duct tape to prevent any leakage and my exhaust fan vents straight out the window.

17 minutes ago, Prom said:

Kill your plants.. not sure.. piss off.. yes. Over 1100ppm CO2 they do not like that anymore. Question is.. how long you need to kill the pest 😁 i like radical solutions.. so a clear 👍 from my side. Just try to avoid killing yourself in the process. If you should get the idea to use a fire extinguisher.. please.. make a video 😆

@PromMy tent is automated, I can turn the fans on remotely. I won't be going into that room while the C02 is present. I don't mind pissing the girls off, I'm just worried that I could suffocate and kill them. As for the spider mites, I would've loved to kill them with a blowtorch, but plants burn 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CG420za said:

I have a C02 tank that I used to used for paintball may moons ago. The ASA screws onto the bottle so I can vent it in there that way. I'll tape the zips with duct tape to prevent any leakage and my exhaust fan vents straight out the window.

@PromMy tent is automated, I can turn the fans on remotely. I won't be going into that room while the C02 is present. I don't mind pissing the girls off, I'm just worried that I could suffocate and kill them. As for the spider mites, I would've loved to kill them with a blowtorch, but plants burn 😂

If you have a co2 tank and a good idea of how to get the co2 into your tent then go for it. When you first start pumping co2 into the tent I would suggest leaving the exhaust vent open for a little while to help purge the o2. Perhaps a burning candle can help you determine when there's a good co2 concentration. You could set up an old phone on an IP webcam to monitor.

I'm sure 30 mins at a high concentration should do the job, and keep the plants safe.

Lol as for the fire extinguisher, you can hook regulators up to them. Wasn't suggesting you shred your plants 😂 would be a bit counter productive.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 420SA said:

If you have a co2 tank and a good idea of how to get the co2 into your tent then go for it. When you first start pumping co2 into the tent I would suggest leaving the exhaust vent open for a little while to help purge the o2. Perhaps a burning candle can help you determine when there's a good co2 concentration. You could set up an old phone on an IP webcam to monitor.

I'm sure 30 mins at a high concentration should do the job, and keep the plants safe.

Lol as for the fire extinguisher, you can hook regulators up to them. Wasn't suggesting you shred your plants 😂 would be a bit counter productive.

Awe man, I figured I could leave the tank outside of the tent with the hose running in via the top vent. That way the CO2 would filter down nicely seeing as it is heavier than air. The downside is that I don't have anything to measure the CO2 PPM, but the candle idea seems solid. No IP webcam though... Guess I'll just wing it and max the CO2 concentration for 30 mins as you said. I've read somewhere that you should run it for an hour at 12000 PPM. I need to read some more.

12000ppm lol... That's stupidly high.... As much as you are in the shit now... Your plants are 4 weeks away... Not all of flower at least!! 

What's the option to do like.... Nothing? 

Also... How much co2 do you have? Those little ones you screw into a paintball gun aren't nearly enough to get your ppm above 500... You gonna need like a hundred of them hahaha. 

Also, from my prior research... Co2 doesn't like.... Kill bugs... They just suffocate... That, or they just mission away from your grow while the co2 is high, and then come back when you're done. 

It is a very cool experiment... But I don't think your goal will be reached as easily as you hope. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CreX said:

12000ppm lol... That's stupidly high.... As much as you are in the shit now... Your plants are 4 weeks away... Not all of flower at least!! 

Also... How much co2 do you have? Those little ones you screw into a paintball gun aren't nearly enough to get your ppm above 500... You gonna need like a hundred of them hahaha. 

Also, from my prior research... Co2 doesn't like.... Kill bugs... They just suffocate... That, or they just mission away from your grow while the co2 is high, and then come back when you're done. 

It is a very cool experiment... But I don't think your goal will be reached as easily as you hope. 

Its a solid concept, with a 'herbal' infused execution 😆  Having played paintball, I think besides all these other very valid points, the one that stands out the most is that, as Crex says, to begin with you don't have enough gas I would imagine.

But feck I love a good out of the box idea like this 🙂  As for alternatives, doing nothing, again as Crex said, is solid. Else, what about the soap and water spray trick? I know that works for a lot of pests. Something worth trying.

Pyrol is out at this point, as is Neem IMO. I bought another product the other day, same company, called Vegol. Slogan is something like spray today, eat tomorrow. So I used it on my plants (infested with thrips) from like week 7-8. They turned out alright. And even though they say 'eat tomorrow', I still just did a plain water wash when I harvested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreX said:

The thing is CreX, I could do nothing, but it hurts my heart that this will be the ONLY hiccup to a flawless run. My ladies are looking great. I can't just watch those litter fuckers go to town after all I've put in.

12 000ppm is kak high if you don't have a clue. Like me, I don't have a clue🤣😂 But, to aid my mission, I have 3x18oz CO2 bottles. I reckon that will do something in a 2x4.

Doesn't suffocation = death? Also, spider mites don't have long legs man, they slow AF.

Lets see what happens, it's either this or fork out R600 on predatory mites.   

Edited by CG420za

Have some other options, but its not for everybody.

1.Tomato leaf alkaloids.

If you have access to tomato leaves. 

Roughly chopped, add enough water to cover the leaves and then blitz with food processor, leave overnight to draw, filter solids and spray. Additional-veg oil and soft soap(wetting agent) optional. 

Active compound should deteriorate in 2-4days if exposed to sunlight and UV.

Worked on spidermites, aphids and thrips.

(Soft bodied insects)

2.Garlic chilli onion-diy pepperspray

4 cloves garlic, handfull of hot peppers(habanero) and half an onion. Rough chop, cover with 2lt water, blitz with processor, steep overnight, filter and spray. (5ml oil and soap optional)

Stand upwind when you spray, or you will be sorry....

Works on spidermites and aphids, busy checking efficacy on whitefly.

Smell should dissipitate after 2 days.

These are organic remedies found on the interweb that have been used with success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bos said:

Garlic chilli onion-diy pepperspray

4 cloves garlic, handfull of hot peppers(habanero) and half an onion. Rough chop, cover with 2lt water, blitz with processor, steep overnight, filter and spray. (5ml oil and soap optional)

Awe @Bos, this is the business my man! Thank you! I happen to have all of the above at my disposal. Also, these okes made me second guess my experiment 😂

I'll be sure to wear goggles!

• Like 1