Would you support a company because its local?

jordz2203

Hey guys,

So if a company was a local company and attempting to do the "RAW" of SA, would you guys support it and make an effort to purchase it even if it was slightly more expensive? or would you just leave it and buy your normal rolling paper, products, etc

Discussion welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

very inclined to support local! and its not so much the price...but the quality.

if you can get me a rolling paper that i can buy almost anywhere, that is high quality and natural , even burn and no paper taste, then you have my attention.

but i guess it also depends... if its R5 more than authentic RAW, its not a bad deal... but if its anymuch more than that... then its going to be tough to support you know?

i am a big fan of RAW because i only taste what i put into my joints...nothing else... no paper taste, no chemical taste,... just weed.

if the quality is there then alternating my supply may be an option!

• Agree 1

what's up @jordz2203

I myself am very much out to support local, even made a thread a while back regarding SA cannabis brands and how to help these guys make it out here.

building on what crex said, raw is a company a step above the rest. 

to "compete" with them, as anyone who enters the industry would have to, would be like a David and Goliath situation. and I want to highlight the big meaning behind what I just said, and that is that it is completely possible!!!

a thing to keep in mind though, is that Josh Kesselman, the founder of raw papers didn't want to create a brand or big name, he wasn't motivated by taking over the market and making big money. he traveled the world and did research on papers trying to find what works best. at the moment they have people in Alcoy, Spain, producing their papers from trees that only grow there, gum from trees, and a whole bunch of science behind the diamond pattern on their papers that help it burn even. 

RAW is really on another level by now, there really isn't any competition for them, because the other guys who make the same papers as them end up loosing money because the process is so expensive and nothing sells as good. 

if you wanted to produce rolling papers and have the whole world buy them, just make papers forget about quality and focus on the business end, your papers will sell, but even then you competing with rizla and all the others.

if you wana go for making a big name/brand for yourself, I wouldn't enter the market with rolling papers on my mind. 

I would look at the market, what's doing well, what are people looking for right now? if you can brand something you need the products to flow as soon as you get your name on it to help your advertising. start there, create the name, and outshine the rest. 

remember, there's already a local market you gona have to compete with also :-puffpass

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jordz2203 said:

Hey guys,

So if a company was a local company and attempting to do the "RAW" of SA, would you guys support it and make an effort to purchase it even if it was slightly more expensive? or would you just leave it and buy your normal rolling paper, products, etc

Discussion welcome. 

If it's available everywhere I go to find rolling paper, yes. If it's exclusive to a particular chain, maybe nah. 

Also gotta have the roach cardboard attached, perforated of course. 

Unbleached, maybe my name on it. Then we good. 

• Like 1

I always try and support local and would love to see a quality local rolling paper brand, there was one a year or so ago, I forget the name. Myrtle, one half of the DaggaCouple taught me a lesson, after discussing something once. She said along the lines of support yourself, then your home, then your neighbours, then your community, province, country etc. That lesson stuck in my head and is generally how I try and spend my time/money now. However on the other hand something that finally pissed me off recently is the following. I am a farmer and try my best to support local. I been buying homemade pepper pork pies for 4 years from the same friends, bulk at R25 per pie, plus salami, chops etc. We raise the pigs here and sell them to the butcher to be processed, so its a no brainer to support. Sitting at the pub, a guy asked me about the pies, prices etc, and said he buys bulk pies from a different brand just down the road for R16 per pie. It left a seriously bad taste in my mouth! Its just a lesson before you jump on this journey!  Funny enough I am buying a pulled pork roll ( one of our pigs ) tomorrow from the same people. Pig on spit, yum.

• Like 4

As has been mentioned, availability is a big one - especially for a small item such as rolling papers. Low in price and often purchased in smaller quantities.

One does not want the inconvenience of having to go out of their way just to get rolling papers, especially a stoner.

Also the price difference won't work in your favour, wanting people to move from a popular brand which they are very familiar with (RAW) and now paying more for a different product they do not know much or anything about... Not everyone is going to be keen to do so.

• Like 1

Ive started importing over sea products for years, such as biobizz, great white etc, This was during a time were good local products were hard to come by, infact products for cannabis were almost non-existent, back in the days we had to look hard for them, some of us used nutes for tomatoes or other veggies that demanded certain NPKS. Now a days the industry is expanding and you can find some local products that are just as good if not better than of those over seas for the fraction of the price

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Agree 1