help understanding DIY lights

StonerZN

Hi all.

So... I saw @SkunkPharmmake his own light so figured I would look into it... 
Nothing too crazy... Found the design I think will suit me (a 2' x 4' or 1.2 x 60 in English) on LEDGardener website here: https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/

Now under the 2'x 4' section, using the Samsung Q series, he reckons the given diagram will use 240W. 

2’x4′ Grow Space Builds

In a 2’x4′ space, we’ll aim for ~240 watts of power.

In the ingredient list, he specifies 14 x 2ft strips as below:

Samsung Q-Series LT-Q562A 2′ LED Strip Build – 2’x4′

Parts list:

14x Samsung LT-Q562A 2′ Strips ($168)

The digikey data sheet for the  LT Q562A however tells me each strip consumes 10W. 

my maths says 14 x 10W is 140W not 240W as he indicates. I would have expected to need to use 24 x 10W strips to reach 240W.

What am I missing? Don't wanna make an ass of myself with a comment on the site...

Any advice would be appreciated folks!

Your calculation is correct, but his isnt wrong either. He just uses a 240 driver for 140 watt load with a dimmer. Without a light meter... yeah, ok, but why 😁 i would not use strips, but 2 288 V2 boards, around 32$ a piece, knocks 100$ off the bill, uses the full wattage of the driver.. still leaves you clueless what distance to hang... what is important 😁 

using 24 of those Stripes, would be very expensive... using just 140 watts on a 1.2x0.6 is very ambitious, buds might be more on the fluff side 🤐

• Like 1
  • Agree 2