Budget Grow lights

lloyd81

From someone who has only been growing indoor for a year.
Started with cfl's first grow. I was happy, hey I smoked my own home grow even if it wasn't pukka shit.
Started investigating led's with the help of the forum and very quickly invested in QB's entry level bars available from @growopz for a few hundred bucks more. Best move ever.
My first few grows I maxed my cabinet with as many plants as possible, trimmed, butchered and mutilated them under 1 overworked QB75.
Over time I added to my light set up bit by bit, not that expensive if you able to save a bit instead of going to the pub or buying that pack of fags. I now have 2 x QB75's and an extra 30 watts side lighting.
Back to the lights. I learnt the hard way in some people's opinion but that's me. I know what I'm talking about now. Check what diodes as there are a few good ones then the not so good ones. Then stick to what the light manufacturer recommends concerning cover area. 35w needed for 1 plant. I stand corrected on this one.
So yeah, try and get more details on the light.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@lloyd81, take a feather out of @DamDave cap here... I promise you... If you can dump 800 on that light... You can find a few hundred extra for aomwthing that growers actually back and have good results with.

Those blurple lights are so old tech... I mean... It will work... But why buy a 34cm CRT TV when you can buy a 42" LED fullHD with surround sound for a few hundred extra? I mean... You can... But do you really want to

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@lloyd81, take a feather out of @DamDave cap here... I promise you... If you can dump 800 on that light... You can find a few hundred extra for aomwthing that growers actually back and have good results with.
Those blurple lights are so old tech... I mean... It will work... But why buy a 34cm CRT TV when you can buy a 42" LED fullHD with surround sound for a few hundred extra? I mean... You can... But do you really want to
I literally saved R10 here R50 there. You'd be surprised at how quick it adds up.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

This ''1000w'' led only has a 70w power supply or driver. Its output is 70w.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.64b966ebccc7ca8f56e0600274d3b5e0.jpg

This 110w Quantum Board has a 100w driver. Its output is a true 100w.

1764721591_Untitled2.jpg.c207d5000cc278f2f82029cfaa9866f3.jpg

This 2000w led only has a 100w driver. It may have  100x 20w led chips. but they never run at full power. 

1414350633_Untitled3.thumb.jpg.a293590a81e831436b76fc19c17a937f.jpg

This 3000w is listed as having 5850lm lumens and Lamp efficacy: 90 (lm / W) = So its actual driver is only 65w. 

2074686417_Untitled4.jpg.0423909382e6c69447228aee14cb70e2.jpg

This cheap 14w 6500k ''daylight led bulb has a 14w driver pushing 14 x 1w leds to the max.

1949055320_Untitled6.jpg.91001c0b5e214b02f3a9283fbe8f592d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eishh....You need to be real carefull when buying online as indicated in above posts by @Bay Seeds Many of these so called growlights advertised wattages are terribly overstated on the websites, especially the chinese cheapy lights. 

Another question...Is 45w enough? Wouldnt you need more watts/light/ppfd for 8 plants? 

My cloning dome smd strips are 45w. The vegging clones are using 200w (1×100w led flood and 2x50w blurples ) and I dont believe it will be enough to veg them all the way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bos said:

Eishh....You need to be real carefull when buying online as indicated in above posts by @Bay Seeds Many of these so called growlights advertised wattages are terribly overstated on the websites, especially the chinese cheapy lights. 

Another question...Is 45w enough? Wouldnt you need more watts/light/ppfd for 8 plants? 

My cloning dome smd strips are 45w. The vegging clones are using 200w (1×100w led flood and 2x50w blurples ) and I dont believe it will be enough to veg them all the way.

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 5:56 PM, GreenGrow Garden Route said:

Has anybody bought from Alibaba? I bought from Aliexpress often, not sure if Alibaba works the same? What are the import duties like?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sticks said:

Has anybody bought from Alibaba? I bought from Aliexpress often, not sure if Alibaba works the same? What are the import duties like?

Similar concept, generally Alibaba is for bulk items.

Import duties will vary depending on the price of the items you are bringing in and the items themselves. Lights should not attract large duties, unlike with clothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I bought my 240w QB from Alibaba. Paid just under 3k with duties(I did ask the supplier to make the invoice slightly less but the customs fees were still 40%)

Just check reviews of suppliers, my "Samsung Lm301" diodes were not Samsung (confirmed with a local company) but I can't really complain when paying $135 for a 240w 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

I bought my 240w QB from Alibaba. Paid just under 3k with duties(I did ask the supplier to make the invoice slightly less but the customs fees were still 40%)

Just check reviews of suppliers, my "Samsung Lm301" diodes were not Samsung (confirmed with a local company) but I can't really complain when paying $135 for a 240w 

Ok thats good to know, thank you.

How is the light performing? Because I am also after a 240w QB.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

Don't feel shy to ask to reduce the bill by 50-75%... customs are very very greedy for material not getting produced in SA. They actually ask for getting cheated on.. if they would charge a fair amount, 15-20%.. wouldn't even worry and pay my share.. but when they go 40-60% import tax.. that is just robbing the own people.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoolJ said:

you should really complain man... you did not get what you paid for. further, you do not even know what you paid for anymore.

the light should still work... but will it give you the same results as genuine LM301 diodes? likely not.

not that you will see any results if you complain... maybe drop a link here so we can avoid the alibaba supplier and go with other options

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CoolJ said:

a 120 Watt LM301B 288 QB is around 25$ with no heat sink or driver. If you don't get what you paid for.. I would always complain.. or you encourage the other side to cheat more. And I agree with @CreX, old diodes are less efficient.. the reason they got a upgrade in the first place hehehe You want to work with the newest generation.. or you can just run HID 😜 

• Like 2

@PromI agree, I wouldn't mind paying duties if they were reasonable but 40% is abit much

@CreXI didn't complain as I most likely wouldn't get a replacement or refund but when it was tested the guys who tested said that the spectrum was good and there was slight drop off in efficiency after a few hours. I've been using it over a year now and can't complain. 

Company info attached if anyone wants to avoid 

Screenshot_20210721_124202_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

14 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

@PromI agree, I wouldn't mind paying duties if they were reasonable but 40% is abit much

@CreXI didn't complain as I most likely wouldn't get a replacement or refund but when it was tested the guys who tested said that the spectrum was good and there was slight drop off in efficiency after a few hours. I've been using it over a year now and can't complain. 

Company info attached if anyone wants to avoid 

Screenshot_20210721_124202_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

https://ihylight.en.alibaba.com/product/1600143081972-804100833/LED_3030SMD_Hydroponic_Full_Spectrum_240W_QB288_board_LED_Grow_Light_for_Indoor_Plants.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.46.705372fa25CxFk

They use a 3030SMD diode.. that is a LM301 diode, bru.. who told you that it isn't a IM301? I prefer the 3000k version with no UV.. but that is just a detail.. those are nice grow lights. And good priced too 😁

Addon

Epistar 660nm are good diodes..  work, I have em on all my boards.. I would prefer if they would add a few 720 or 730nm too.. but they will learn over time hehehe 

Edited by Prom
quick addon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prom said:

https://ihylight.en.alibaba.com/product/1600143081972-804100833/LED_3030SMD_Hydroponic_Full_Spectrum_240W_QB288_board_LED_Grow_Light_for_Indoor_Plants.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.46.705372fa25CxFk

They use a 3030SMD diode.. that is a LM301 diode, bru.. who told you that it isn't a IM301? I prefer the 3000k version with no UV.. but that is just a detail.. those are nice grow lights. And good priced too 😁

The guys at PHOTRONIC tested my light so I took their word for it💁🏽‍♂️

Here's the Facebook post they did. 

https://www.facebook.com/107191161071571/posts/213845203739499/

9 minutes ago, Prom said:

Addon

Epistar 660nm are good diodes..  work, I have em on all my boards.. I would prefer if they would add a few 720 or 730nm too.. but they will learn over time hehehe 

It is very easy to say one thing and do another, and say LM301B on page and put something else...

Called, bait and switch 😥