3 different issues possibly

Live Canna

Hey all,

Been battling with some issues and not 100% sure what it is.

History/details etc.

1.0 I have a main tent compartment running 12/12 flower cycle and currently with one GG4 in her. She did have some thrips not so long ago, so I sprayed Vegol (https://biogrow.co.za/products/vegol/) as it was sold as a spray today eat tomorrow and a better version for 'fruit' bearing plants. As the GG4 is about to start week 7 of flower I didn't want to use Pyrol.

There are 2 issues with her. 
1.1 She has these spots on her leaves, but there is nothing on the underside, and overall she seems happy. My thoughts are it was when I sprayed her, and the lights were still on. Does that seem right based on the pic?

She also seems to have a bit of what we see in issue 2.0....but maybe I am looking at this too much.

1.2 The other issue that she has is the leaves look a bit nute burnt. I am growing in Freedom Farms soil with BioBizz Grow and Bloom nutes. Been sticking to the regiment. Tonight I fed her plain un ph'd compost tea. Hoping that may flush her a bit, but confused as to it being too much nutes? Is it just a strain that doesn't like the normal dose?

2.0 In my seedling area (small veg area of the tent, blocked off of course) my plants seem to be having all these small black dots on them. They do not seem to be mites as they do not move. But they are killing leaves. I feel like it is a nutrient uptake/soil thing? Seems to have affected multiple plants, making me think it is a disease or a pest? Found a few threads on the net about this and how guys all have the same thing and all believe it is NOT mites. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The one RQS Sherbit Queen I planted seems fine, although some lower leaves are looking like it. She seems the strongest, the rest of them not so much.

Thanks a mil in advance, not something that I have evere dealt with, so I am a bit out of my depth here.

Pics: The small seedling (lucky packet) is the issue 2.0 that I am speaking off. Rest is related to issue 1.0

Thanks!!

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.00.48.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.01.19.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.01.12.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.01.06.png

1953293780_Screenshot2021-02-20at22_00_58.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.00.53.png

Alright, so I took some magnified shots of the one leaf in relation to issue 2.0 above. Think it was at about 60x. In any case you can see close enough to see the little leaf hairs. All these dots are definitely not mites and seem to rather be some sort of glob/liquid thing (mainly above, but with some below the leaf). My theory is that maybe its a deficiency and the plant is excreting something? I have never seen or heard of this before. Would appreciate some input, thanks!

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.42.26.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.43.10.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.43.05.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.43.01.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.42.48.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.42.44.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.42.40.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.42.35.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 22.42.30.png

My first thought here is thrips as you said, from a bug infestation point of view.

What lights are your plants under? Are your plants getting enough light to utilize a full dose feeding schedule? How have you been feeding with the biobizz? Every watering? How often do you fertigate? 

• Like 1

Having a look at the seedling I suspect it may be Black sooty mold. Hows the airflow/ventilation?

Agree with @Totemic about the white spots on the leaves, that type of damage seems like thrips. 

But the leaves on the larger plant are showing another issue, almost looks like a deficiency or lockout.

The curling could be overwatering but that may be the tea flush.

4 hours ago, Totemic said:

My first thought here is thrips as you said, from a bug infestation point of view.

What lights are your plants under? Are your plants getting enough light to utilize a full dose feeding schedule? How have you been feeding with the biobizz? Every watering? How often do you fertigate? 

Thanks for the feedback! So in my main tent I am running a Phoenix Sky 240w light. I raised it a bit to reduce any other stress, so I think its around 35cm-40cm away which is good. On the seedling area side I have an LED floodlight. Its really just to knock off a few weeks of veg.

The seedlings have not had any nutes yet, as it has only been 5 weeks and they were still looking good. I have given them some compost tea. Thanks for the point though re having enough light to utilize a full dose, it does get me thinking of that aspect too. Been feeding every watering of the GG4 for the Biobizz nutes.

2 hours ago, Bos said:

Having a look at the seedling I suspect it may be Black sooty mold. Hows the airflow/ventilation?

Agree with @Totemic about the white spots on the leaves, that type of damage seems like thrips. 

But the leaves on the larger plant are showing another issue, almost looks like a deficiency or lockout.

The curling could be overwatering but that may be the tea flush.

Thanks bud, I also thought it may be more fungus/mold related. And that a good thought, as with all the rain we had, we did have around 80-85% humidity. I haven't gotten the extractor on that tent working 100% yet, but there is a little fan inside to blow it around. I read yesterday that Vegol can actually treat WPM, so going to maybe treat that plant with it too. But for now I am going to boot it outside then, I don't want to risk it attacking my others.

Thanks for the confirming thought on lockout or deficiency. That one I am the least worried about though as the rest of the plant seems healthy. I did see some leaf tips that were yellow, so I was leaning more to the nute burn side, hence the compost tea. I think I will do another plain watering on the next one (post tea) and then resume with reduced nutes.

Once other thing I did think of now also for the GG4 is that I top dressed with some alfalfa meal or something (need to check actually, but I think that was it). I was trying to give another plant some extra when it was still in there, and the GG4 got at the same time.

In terms of the spots on the GG4, I definitely think this may be light burn from the oil in the Vegol when I sprayed with lights on. Rookie error there...I knew, but was more worried about the thrips. I see Vegol is like 97% oil, so that adds up. I don't think it is being affected by thrips anymore as I don't see any on there. 

So, I believe the GG4 has a potassium deficiency, from all that I have read, that seems like the most likely. Slightly burnt tips, browning and yellowing sides, etc. So I made some banana tea to see if that helps.

For the pest problem, I think it is mostly eradicated. I found one more (thrip I think? Would appreciate confirmation) of which I took a nice close up. I checked under most of the other leaves and don't see any. But I will do another spray in the morning as a preventative measure.

Seedling side I kicked most of the bag seed outside, not too concerned there. Left 2 inside, so watching those closely. Another plant (RQS Sherbet Queen) has some sort of other issue now, thought it may be light stress or over watering, so I have moved it away from the light a bit for now. Have attached that pic to for opinions? Thanks a mil.

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

With thrips you are going to have to treat systemically for a while. Thrips lay eggs inside the soft leaf tissues more often than on the leaf surface, so they are protected right up to the point of hatching.

Thrips are the worst of the insects to get rid of...even mites are easier to control 

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Totemic said:

With thrips you are going to have to treat systemically for a while. Thrips lay eggs inside the soft leaf tissues more often than on the leaf surface, so they are protected right up to the point of hatching.

Thrips are the worst of the insects to get rid of...even mites are easier to control 

Thanks for the input bud, I really appreciate it. So in my image that is definitely a thrip then?

Been reading how they lay their eggs. Shite. Well, I guess I will keep treating then until harvest. That puts it into perspective 😅 😆 Had mites once outside, wow, what a mission. But I knew very very little then.

I am proper upset with myself, as it came from the soil I top dressed with after I used it for compost tea. I got some soil from the in laws as they have a really rich compost heap they make year round with all their garden items. I have not had any indoor pest issues up until that point, hence my assumption as to where they came from. But I could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Totemic said:

That does look like a larval stage. As for the little ones, it could be a combination of overwatering and heat stress. Fixing that may be as simple as transplanting to a larger pot. It seems like rootzone issues really...

Thanks a mil, thats what I was thinking earlier when I read about that stage. Really appreciate the help. Funny you say that. I looked at her just now and thought, hmm maybe time for a transplant. Had one like that on the previous run and that fixed her.

11 hours ago, CreX said:

just a note that Thrips have 5 life stages, and 2 of them are spent in the soil meduim where they grow and mature and then come back up the plant to lay more eggs. they can live for about 45 days.

they are bastards

Thanks bud, appreciate the added insight, I didn't know that. Lil' feckers 😅  Definitely the soil I added on top, can't see where else they may have come from. I will finish this run and then also give the tent a good clean. I usually do after every run.

9 hours ago, Prom said:

When the plant leaves reach the outside of the pot, and is not the final pot, it is time to repot the plant. Very simple rule.

Thanks bud, I quite like that rule of thumb. I would need to look back on pics and see where she was at when I flipped to flower. I usually transplant just before flower and then don't touch her again. This gives them nice room to grow in for flower.

2 hours ago, GGG said:

Do you feed microbes?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I may be lacking knowledge here or not understanding. I am feeding the microbes, but I am not feeding microbes. Are you able to get beneficial microbes in SA? I know state side and Canada side you can get those things to add to the water, that then eat larvae etc. Not sure if that is what you are getting at? Thanks

• Like 1