Co2 supplementation

SoloKush

Hey guys..

So I have decided to add Co2 to my next grow..

Got a 20kg something tank and a regulator from growguru.. 

Still need to get a good Co2 meter..

Have any of you guys used Co2 and what advice can you give me ? I need as much advice as I can get.. 

Whats the best Co2 meter avail that won't break the bank ??

A pic of the Co2 regulator

is below..

Screenshot_20210212-140652_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SoloKush

Hey man unfortunately co2 meters are all gonna break the bank haha. 

Sounds like you have all your other limiting factors out of the way? 

Your plants are getting more light than they can use... Nutrients on point... Airflow and no watering problems? And have you sealed your tent 101%? 

Youre trying to push yourself to the next level in your grow? You are reaching breeders yeild markers and feel you have room to grow more? 

Then I think you are on the right track... But if you are not meeting all the above marks... Co2 is unfortunately not going to bump your yeilds up by that much. 

Co2 is a dangerous gas as it can displace oxygen in the room and raise the co2 to an uncomfortable level if you don't have a meter that can regulate your supply. 

Im not trying to discourage you... But I also don't want you to waste the gas and your time and not see a marked improvement in your yeilds

• Agree 1

In an effort to run a sealed grow room with no extraction to “outside”, I have had to get CO2 to replenish normal co2 which would come available from extraction and the resulting air intake from outside. So I’m not expecting yield benefits, rather just maintenance of probably double normal atmospheric levels (800 ppm).
I found this supplier locally
a42056b33fa72d8eb00b03c9e33dad81.jpg
Nice sturdy unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you going to deal with humidity buildup? Invest another few K into a dehumidifier?

Just how sealed off and isolated is your actual grow space. What is the size of the space around your grow. Ie. Is your tent in a room? How sealed is that room? 

Trying to seal off a grow space, and still cater for all the needed air exchange/minute, while keeping humidity and temperatures in range will be a feat on its own to dial in.

Are you able to provide the plants with the DLI needed for the extra CO2...otherwise maintaining double ppm concentrations is a waste of money. 

Really I'm shooting in the dark here as you haven't shared details about your space, your lights etc....

It seems a super expensive, complicated  move, for not wanting a higher yield...:poke

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you do not run a lab like environment, I honestly wouldn't go that way. Will take you a bit to have all balanced and then you live with the cost.. as long as you do not want to break high yield records, I would stay away from CO2 additives, your cost go up (you need more light, more power, more cooling).

If you go on out of curiosity.. nothing against, you only learn from trying.. just one very important rule: When ever you are in your grow room and you only start to feel a little dizzy, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY!!!!!! CO2 can kill you faster as you think. Sensors can fail.. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hey guys thanks for the replies..

Well its a smallish space 3m X2.2m and completely sealed with aircon.. all factors are dialled in.. 

Lights are 10 panels 320 watt kingbrite quantum boards..

Not looking to increase yield with Co2 but if it does thats a bonus.. just need Co2 supp coz its sealed and they will get no other source of Co2 as wall unit aircons only recycle air they don't bring in any fresh air..

Has anybody used this Co2 regulator in my pic above ?

You use 320 watt on a 3mx2.2m space? mhhhh how many micromol PAR you get on those heads? If you don't reach over 1200, the additional CO2 will have no effect at all. You will waste your money for zero effect.

CO2 is the building block plants use to get their carbon from.. carbon based life form ^^.. If the plant gets a lot of light, the CO2 concentration will limit her grow speed. When you add CO2 in a artificial environment and add the light strength, you get more plant faster. The reason to use a CO2 generator system.. but that is more for the medical producers. Setting up a CO2 system needs more light as you had before or you had massively more light as needed (I personally do not think that your 320watt can produce the mmol to justify a CO2 generator). Adding the additional light will cause your ventilation and AC to most likely need an upgrade. Running 1300 watt light.. I use on a 1.2m x 3.6m area.. would have to go in the range of 2500-3000 watt light to make a CO2 generator reasonable.. getting rid of that heat.. I get gray hair right away hehehe AC costs to run will increase drastically. 

As said.. have fun and give it a try.. if you run a grow in a second tent with no CO2, you can measure how much money you blow for how much more yield.. and if you get to hot, you ruin your taste, so balancing the new CO2 system will take a few grows to dial in again. 

Edited by Prom
a ? ^^
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Prom said:

Setting up a CO2 system needs more light as you had before or you had massively more light as needed (I personally do not think that your 320watt can produce the mmol to justify a CO2 generator)

Good point. Now actually thinking about it, I've only really seen dudes with 1000W HPS and 615W CMH setups supplementing with CO2. 

Although @SoloKush did specifically say that his area is completely sealed and that's why he wants the CO2, because maybe there's really zero air circulation at all. In a normal setting, one would get enough CO2 simply from the air exchange caused by an extraction fan as the air in the room cycles naturally. I don't think @SoloKush has that in this case. 

Don't you think a carbon filter and exchanging air would be way cheaper compared to close the room 100% and use a CO2 generator? You can't even use the cool temps of the nights in that system.. as you better insolate that chamber to not have the AC go berserk during day time. Cooking climate in a single room is no easy task.. in most cases venting is easier to get rid of excess humidity. If the AC keep the temp more or less stable within the day / night cycles, yes, that can work.. but is no cheap system to run.

Log your humidity and check how it behaves when you watered your plants and it switches to nigh cycle.. if your AC can compensate that.. yes, should work.. otherwise, closed room.. mold will call in a rave ^^

I made my biggest step towards better weed with gaining control over my lights.. and before I would think into a CO2 generator, my grow flat will have perfect climate control.. and I mean 1 degree fluctuation during flower max. With the South African wall constructions, at least where i live.. I might have to build something proper insolated to get that goal going without building my own private Koeberg Power station 😁

But as said before.. if @SoloKush is on a mission.. then follow the path you see in front of you 😊 trying new stuff takes the boredom out of the routine of growing. Just treat that gas with the needed respect. Rest, enjoy the trip ^^

• Agree 1

@Prom 320 watt X 10 320watt panels = 3200 watt with an excellent spread over the area.. I do have 2 additional panels which I might put up in flower I'd think that would be enough.. ive gotten good results without Co2 , last harvest in a 150X150 tent I yielded just over a gram a watt and was running 1040 watts of quantum boards.

The new space has a 12000btu air-conditioning unit as that space gets quiet hot as the sun hits it from the outside for most of the day like up until 4pm , also Co2 would be good coz of the generally high temps in the new space.. so with the heat the 10paneps and ballast give off+the natural heat coz of the location of the space. With all of that said its ultimately a sealed space so Co2 would be the only option the above are just benefits using Co2 but I think it all fits in..

Please I would appreciate all the tips and tricks you can give to me

✌️

• Like 1

@Prom you are absolutely correct about the humidity, i had troubles in the beginning with humidity.. it took me a while to find the right set up. The other space where my 5X5 tent is extremely similar to the new grow space except that its a tent inside a room which and the new space is the entire room. In the tent set up I run a portable ac unit outside the tent feeding cold air via ducting inside and I leave the top of the tent open about 20 to 30cm and I have two windows behind the tent open one for venting hot ac air and one for fresh air and the room door is constantly left open for air flow.. ive noticed that light and intensity can lower your humidity alongside the ac so I've learnt how to get into that sweet spot. And ever since I just apply what I've learnt to the situation and it's always a good result, ofcourse you have to have hiccups here and there and every day is a learning day 🤓

I have a couple of friends who are not growers but they footing the bill for the equipment and what ever else i may need coz they smoke like chimneys!

oh and growing cannabis is really therapy for me literally its a win win 🤪

• Like 1

hehehe ok, 10 x 320 is sexy for that space.. 3200 is in the right number area. But to hang your lights correct, the Quantum Flux Meter would help.. pity not cheap those toys.

Closed environments are tricky, as you really have to get all parameters right yourself. In any case log your humidity in a full grow to check you are in the green during the heavy respiration phase (dark time) when the plants have some size. If you can keep your humidity in the right area.. with that climate control ^^ should get some serious tasty weed 😎

As the gas can kill you, always work with a backup sensor. I would install one with a reading outside the door and one when you enter. If both show the same result, you can enter. Otherwise you better check before you work in that room. You can't smell CO2.. and you need to check that your lower part is ventilated extra well, CO2 sinks to the ground as heavier as the usual air mix. So place your sensors low.

If your AC can handle the heat the lights will produce, you should have no issues.. depending on your humidity log, you might need an additional dehumidifier.. or your AC will have to switch to heating, to keep the temp stable. But if you run into humidity issues, venting the humid air to the outside, take in a fresh batch and get that cooled down again, is faster. I have very bad experience with mold and closed rooms. Perhaps I am just to much burned from that side. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SoloKush said:

@Prom oh lights off humidity does rise with the ac on but its not much coz of the ac , average increases of 5 to 7% which is lights on humidity is 50% to 58% depending on the light intensity so lights off it increases 56% to 62%

as long as you stay below 68%.. you have not much to fear. How many kwh does that system eat a month? 😂 I just saved 450 watts/h with the exchange of 4 of my inliners and made a happy happy dance 😆 

@Prom thank you for all the valuable info and tips I've made alota notes already from all your posts on this, much much appreciated!

I will be hard at work dialing everything i won't rest until I get it right i love a challenge like this..

I hope the Ac will handle the heat , I just pray the Co2 will compensate a little if the temps do increase over 31 or 32degrees. I get an average temps of between 27 and 32 without Co2 in summer with excellent results (1.1kg dry) and TOP quality bud.. so I pray the Co2 compensates for the heat. I can open a window and 2 doors in the new space incase I need to clear the air out very fast.. but you know until you get your plants in there and let it run i can only pray for now lol

The Ac runs 23 hours a day and the lights 18 to 19hours a day..

Lights 1040watts at full throttle and ac 1.5kw and 30cm desk fan and 2 clip ones too blow over legs.. 

Total monthly charge for grow stuff alone is  around 2k on top of the normal monthly bill.. I have not bought weed for a very long time and that always puts that big smile on my face.. 😁

• Like 1

@Dookie69 hey man thanks pointing me in euca direction, they don't seem to have the one you showed above but another model , will post a picture of the 1 i saw..

I'm basically using Co2 for the exact reason you are.. what regulator are you using ? And what are the technicals on your regulator? How much gas do you release ? And what space ? 

I still have to read up on how to use the regulator on tank im just so busy with so many projects and not enough time.. your info would be great brother 

✌️

Screenshot_20210221-225355_Chrome.jpg

Over 30 is not good.. your terpenes suffer rather bad over 30. Your goal should be to stay under 26.. best 20 dead during flower (😁 is my personal opinion and experience, talking Celsius)

1040 watts and 3200 watts are 2 different pair of shoes 😉 as it not just adds the lights wattages, you need fans for that 3x2.2 area.. 2-3 50cm directional to get a circulation going and some oscillating ones to mix all up. I write a friend and check if he has some input to your CO2 meter. He has a lot more knowhow then me on that area. I just read up and decided that I have way to many other issues to solve, before I can even consider to use a CO2 setup.

You let the 3x2.2 room run for a day phase and see how the AC coops with the 3200 watt lights? I am rather curious, if a 1.5kw ac can handle it, my guess would have been higher.. but I have been wrong many times before 😄 

Durban summer ain't no joke lol its only in summer my temps are so high.. I use to love the summer! Not so much now 🤣can't wait for winter from May onwards my temps average 25 to 27 and I'm at peace also my 5X5 is jam packed , the pic below still had 3 plants taken out prior to taking that pic

20210128_112001.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes a quick chat brings new points to think into.

I got some input from the mentioned source, love Telegram hehehe 

You need to vent the room, you are not getting around it.. or you plan to use some kind of scuba tank and breather to work in that room (joke). Reason is simple. You shouldn't enter the room with a concentration of 600ppm of CO2 and above.. and you also shouldn't go over 1100ppm but stick over 900ppm for your light cycle, over 1100ppm it hurts more as it helps. What means.. you can't enter during light time and can only enter during dark time after venting.. or you vent during light and have to refill your CO2 ambient concentration to get the benefit back. 

The sensor has a rs232 interface.. if you connect it to a controller and a stepper motor, you could get it handled automatically. ^^ Was my suggestion to your regulator.. he recommends more a system made to work in combination, meter and release valve. Saver, more expensive.

So directly spoken.. you walk into that room without thinking to much.. might be the last you do. The concentration you work with is lethal. Mhh.. I think I go that way when I have employees 😏😬 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SoloKush said:

Durban summer ain't no joke lol its only in summer my temps are so high.. I use to love the summer! Not so much now 🤣can't wait for winter from May onwards my temps average 25 to 27 and I'm at peace also my 5X5 is jam packed , the pic below still had 3 plants taken out prior to taking that pic

20210128_112001.jpg

The floor will not grow weed ^^ SoG rocks 😎 what kush you grow there? 😉

Forgot: One positive thing you get, the terpene bad border seems to go from 26 to 28C with the higher CO2 concentration.. but still ^^ over 30 is just way to much

Edited by Prom
forgot

Ok just added some notes to my list , thank you once again , this will save me time and my life.. both are precious after all.

Well the room does have 2 sep doors opening at right angle to each other leading to two extremely well ventilated area which always has a good draft coming through.. I will indeed take extra precautions regarding the breathing in of Co2 and the ventilation of the area when working in it so thank you again.

Those are all strawberrypie in the pic.. 3 different phenos from 12 plants,  one fully purple , and one 50%purple50%light greenish,and one fully light green.  the light green and half n half are very very similar more identical in structure than the fully purple one so basically two distinct phenos

I was just planning on doing a Co2 meter and manually opening and closing the Co2 regulator, i know technology will make life easier its just that I like to be hands on and in control of something,rather old skool type of thought but yeah.. some may laugh lol 

Mayb I'm just lazy mmm 🤓