Just joined 420SA

Brain

Hi everybody, I just joined 420SA, just popping in to introduce myself. Gone through the rules. Looking forward to getting involved and to chat with other members.

If anybody would be so kind as to help me begin my first grow or to point me in the direction of where to find information and people on this forum to ask about this - That would be absolutely great! (definitely going to be an outdoor, until I set up a green house.) Hopefully I would be of some help to others as I find my feet on this forum.   🙂

• Like 1

Outdoor season is in flower now so not really the time to start.

Perhaps trying some auto flowers to get started. [mention]Biltong and Budz [/mention] has some cheap auto seeds to try out.

Biggest thing to start with I would say is light. Either a proper site In The garden that gets a LOT of sun, or a decent light for indoors.

Good luck and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

Welcome, Awsome community you jointed. As said its already flower time outdoor so good you got good advise with starting with Autos, or if you can get your hands on some photo plants with some size then you can put them outside and they will start flowering.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome.. You stumbled upon the correct forum to get you going and with very knowledgeable members, you will be well on your way to becoming a green thumb of note.. I would suggest to read as much as you can of the threads on the forum and then decide on the way forward.. This time of the year outdoors could be tricky.. Your plants will go into flower late in the season and will flower into winter.. If you do not have the right spot in the Garden you will be stuck with all sorts of problems.. But just do it and see what happens.. You'll be well knowledgeable for the next season.

Ensure that you choose the correct medium to grow in and ensure that you have good seeds to start off with..

Starting with Autos might be disappointing to a beginner as they are very sensitive. The best learning experience would be bag seed. When you have honed your skills a bit then you could spend some green on good seeds.. Practice germination first..

Enjoy and welcome to the best comunity ever..

:-peace

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Good Morning Pants, GGG & Stinger96,

Thank you for the information. I will take a look at the above mentioned  {mention} Biltong and Budz {/mention}. Plenty of space in the yard with loads of light throughout the day. But I will also look at purchasing the light for indoor grow. 

Speaking of Bag seed(and I hope I know what you mean by this) I have 7 seeds of a bud I had from last year, in fact in March it will be exactly a year that I have these seeds. Will they still be okay for planting? As this will be my first real attempt, perhaps it makes sense for me to use what I have and see what happens?

I have germinated seeds before, perhaps I could do so with the seeds I have then transfer them to a few small pots to see from there?

Please could you recommend a medium while I have you guys here, I read somewhere on the forum someone mentioned coco and perlite? From what I read this is an ideal medium for growing, Would I use this with some soil from outside? 

Thanks you guys.

• Like 1

What's up @Brain!!

Outdoor season! Starting now would be quite disappointing unfortunately. 

This is the time of year to start growing massive outdoor dongs on the already large and prepared bushes. Starting now would lead to very small plants with minimal bud unfortunately. 

How are you planning on going forward? What kind of soil does your garden have in it? Will you be growing in pots or the ground? 

I am on the fence about the Autos... At this time of year... I would maybe get a few auto seeds and give it a go... Even if you mess up, you will still get more bud from the autos than you will from starting now with photos. 

Hit us up with some soil pics and maybe give us some insight to your current green experience... Weed or not weed... Can you grow shit in your garden already or are you really new to the whole plants and growing thing? 

Edited by CreX
Spelling yussi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi @CreX

Ok, Planning on moving forward, I would love to be able to grow outdoor and indoor(greenhouse). 

I wish I could tell you what type of soil I have in my garden, but I really have no idea. I think its sandy but really cannot tell you for sure. I do know that so far it has grown, Butternut, Eggplant, Squash, Chilli, Tomato, Beans & one year, 2 or 3 watermelons.   

I have taken some pics, I hope these indicate something of use so you would be able to tell me which direction from here? 🙂 

Thanks

IMG_20210218_090123-min.jpg

IMG_20210218_090221-min.jpg

IMG_20210218_090325-min.jpg

IMG_20210218_090530-min.jpg

IMG_20210218_092709-min.jpg

IMG_20210218_092805-min_c.jpg

IMG_20210218_092818-min.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome @Brain where is Pinky at? 😜

Outdoor season is starting to come to an end with plants going into flower now, starting now will likely be rather disappointing as previously mentioned.

Your best bet if you want to get some bud this year still would be to try an auto or two, look at doing a grow indoors (not greenhouse, that is still outdoors - in the elements... The cold fronts in winter will still be felt and good luck trying to heat up the greenhouse).

So indoors in a room, cupboard or grow tent with a light and fans and so forth. Will be relatively costly to setup in comparison to an outdoor grow - alternatively this gives you lots of time to do research, play around a bit and get a game plan going.

Then you can get your outdoor going towards the end of the year and have a nice harvest in 2022.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brain said:

Good Morning Pants, GGG & Stinger96,

Thank you for the information. I will take a look at the above mentioned  {mention} Biltong and Budz {/mention}. Plenty of space in the yard with loads of light throughout the day. But I will also look at purchasing the light for indoor grow. 

Speaking of Bag seed(and I hope I know what you mean by this) I have 7 seeds of a bud I had from last year, in fact in March it will be exactly a year that I have these seeds. Will they still be okay for planting? As this will be my first real attempt, perhaps it makes sense for me to use what I have and see what happens?

I have germinated seeds before, perhaps I could do so with the seeds I have then transfer them to a few small pots to see from there?

Please could you recommend a medium while I have you guys here, I read somewhere on the forum someone mentioned coco and perlite? From what I read this is an ideal medium for growing, Would I use this with some soil from outside? 

Thanks you guys.

Your soil looks fine.. Might be good to mix with some Garden master Topsoil mix and ad 40% Perlite. Regarding your bag seed, they should be viable and would be a good option to start with and test the soil mix.. It's hit and mis with soil mixes especially with cannabis. Depending on your budget, I will go with Freedom Farms Premium Classic.. Depending on where you based, start the beans in pots so you can move them arround and get them out of harms way if necessary..👌👍🌱

• Like 2

I agree... Soil looks fine... It certainly brought you decent looking harvests!! ... But looks like it gets pretty packed... 

So adding some perlite or even coco to loosen it up a bit would go a long way as cannabis loves easy draining soil/meduims

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aweh @Brain

Welcome to the forum, best place to ask questions and learn. Seems you allready got some greenfingers there, nice yield.

Good advice in the above posts, bit late in the season now for planting photo periods. You could go the autoflower route if you want to start now, but as mentioned they can be finicky.

Your soil doesnt look bad at all. (We have pure sand here on the northcoast). For growing cannabis it would benefit from some aeration and more organics as mentioned. You could for example add coco, perlite and wormcastings and build your own soil or you can buy prepackaged soil such as Freedom farms.

You say you have space, why not start a compost pile for next year, then all your plants will benefit.

A greenhouse or nethouse will help a lot with weather, wind and vegetarian pests of which there are many to contend with. Make sure about location!

We have a 18m2 tunnel where our flowering plants finish up to avoid weather,  butterflies, worms and hoppers, cause you cant spray much on your plants while they are in flower.

Enjoy the journey.

• Like 3