How to make tasty weed ^^

Prom

😁 I was reading over terpenes once more to see what new is out there. 

You find about 200 terpenes and 100 cannabinoids in one plant. My simple calculation was, the bigger my plant, the healthier, the better. So main focus was fertilizer.

I will most likely redo my Biobizz tables and make a monstrous change.. but that has strangely not much to do with terpenes, just more yield.

It wasn't hard to recognize, that my weed quality went up, as long as I kept my climate in the perfect range. The Quantum Flux Meter gave the next huge increase in quality. And ran into this short but rather significant article on Royal Queen Seeds. As I always said.. you have to unpack your A game from start to end and keep the climate in ranges not hurting your terpenes... and if you screw over drying or curing, you still end with bad weed 😉

Can You Increase Terpene Production?

Genetics play an important role in the terpene content of a strain. Cannabis breeders actively combine desirable terpene profiles to create strains that possess a specific blend. However, environmental factors can sway just how much of a specific terpene a cannabis plant expresses.

Growers can take advantage of these influencing cues to drive up terpene levels, subsequently enhancing the taste, smell, and effects of a harvest. Cultivators can hone in on several key methods to increase terpene levels, including:

• Adequate stress
  • Correct lighting
  • Optimal temperatures
  • Flushing before harvest
  • Proper drying and curing
  • Like 4

Soo many variables and factors which come into play, soo much we do not really know and are unable to measure.

Climate certainly plays a big role, excess heat can certainly lead to terpene degradation.

I must say I disagree with flushing before harvest, it is a myth and does not benefit the plant whatsoever - a recent study I saw and posted somewhere on the forum actually seems to point in the direction that no flush may end up with better tasting weed if anything.

Stressing a plant is not always a bad thing, it can trigger various defense mechanisms in the plant and boost yield, trichomes and terpenes. Too much stress or the wrong type of stress on the other hand can be bad and lead to undesired affects.

While the article is a nice read, it is not always very precise. A lot of what we do is still guess work and following charts and there is still legacy information going around from who knows how many decades ago when growers needed to figure shit out via trial and error and make use of what they were able to get their hands on.

In agriculture, companies are able to tell you what nutes to give and what quantity to give for each week of the plants lifecycle based on your specific soil and so forth to ensure you are able to maximize yields and so forth. This does not happen with cannabis, we do not know for example that perhaps during week 3 and 4 we should actually lower all nutes to increase growth as a random example an then perhaps during the 2nd week of flowering / pre-flowering we should just feed P and K or whatever may be the case.

The approach is a broad one, generalized nutrients, follow a chart and it should work out quite well and your plants should yield decently and get a good end result. You can add these things to possibly help the plant along the way and make it more resistant to this and that but it's still quite vague I feel and a lot more testing needs to be done and I am sure is being done and will continue to be done now that it's a lot easier for this to take place and happen.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's not as easy as I thought. Thank you for your detailed answers, you've encouraged me to take this a little more seriously. I've wanted to start growing weed for a long time, but I didn't have enough time to do it. Now, during the quarantine, I am at home all the time, and so I have time to do this. I know almost nothing about cultivation. My goal is to get something similar to the products you can buy from PureHempFarms, which is my favorite store and a standard of quality. I don't think I can do it on the first try, but it will probably take several attempts. How quickly were you able to get a good result?

Edited by fmustang1981
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, fmustang1981 said:

Wow, it's not as easy as I thought. Thank you for your detailed answers, you've encouraged me to take this a little more seriously. I've wanted to start growing weed for a long time, but I didn't have enough time to do it. Now, during the quarantine, I am at home all the time, and so I have time to do this. I know almost nothing about cultivation. My goal is to get something similar to the products you can buy from PureHempFarms, which is my favorite store and a standard of quality. I don't think I can do it on the first try, but it will probably take several attempts. How quickly were you able to get a good result?

Hi bro, start with learning the basics, do a bit of research of what method of growing suits you best, whether it be coco, soil, hydroponics. Each have its advantages and disadvantages whether it be difficulty to grow, costs, better yielding, etc. 

from there do a further research( it doesn’t have to be independently, this forum is filled with people that are willing to help.) on the basics of growing according to the method you have decided and what tools/equipment you require then when confident try it out.

Maybe try with bag seeds or cheap seeds first as I found after doing months of research before my first grow, I actually knew not that much but it didn’t demotivate me instead it actually made me realise how much planning and attention to detail you require and decided to increase my effort. Basically whatever effort you put into growing is what will determine the outcome, but have fun at the same time, because there’s no better feeling of smoking your own weed.

when I first got myself a tent I germinated every bag seed I could find and messed around with them like my little expendable experiments. I only managed one harvest since Aug last year which yielded about 20-30 per plant while expecting 100s of grams😂 I consider that as relative success considering I made many rookie mistakes such as using tap water in soil, impatience, and general poor practices and now have a bench mark to go by. 

Only started my proper 2nd grow now because I needed to go back to the drawing board as it can become expensive and already seeing massive differences in quality. I know I’m far from where I’d like to be but every positive step brings me closer to the standard I’d like to be at. 

also don’t just buy equipment, do a great deal of research in what you invest your money in, spending 1000s of hard earn cash on substandard equipment can really mess with you so do research, ask for a second opinion, even a third, you’ll save yourself from looking back whether you really needed this or could have gotten it for much cheaper elsewhere. 

This might sound cliche but the more I know, the more I realize I know nothing. That is really applicable to growing weed as many fields of study overlap. I hated biology and science at school but all of a sudden it has become a passion and it’s just amazing how, for me, I was dismissive of certain things only to realise now that I’m older I actually like it. 

With all that said, it comes down to you. If you want to grow and take that responsibility and act accordingly you will learn but it’s a process like anything else which doesn’t happen overnight.