The Underdog in the Arena

TheUltimateNoob

What's up everyone

Hope you all are doing well and staying safe.

It's been a minute, but I'm just gonna get right to it...

So this beast has been around for a while now, and I've had one with me for the past few months.

I'm talking about the MODUGrow 90W LED Grow Light.

IMG_20200721_102128.thumb.jpg.e50df5d0549b611871d9058f1f85cb6c.jpg

The unit I have is fitted with 192 x Samsung LM301H diodes as well as 16 x LH351H 730nm Far Red diodes for that extra boost in flower, all covered by an acrylic panel to keep the diodes safe, shining in at a warm 3500K spectrum.

Its daisy chain feature allows you to cover your canopy in larger tents easily by simply adding another unit.

It's also got an IP62 rating, meaning that it's dust tight and is protected again sprays of water up to 15° from the vertical, so no need to stress too much about accidentally spraying your light a bit.

Keep in mind that the dimensions of this fixture (without the power or daisy chain cable plugged in) is;

(LxWxH)

630,00mm x 119,70mm x 117,62mm

With this in mind, it's worth mentioning that this light will only narrowly fit diagonally (in order to accommodate the power cable) in a 60cm or 70cm wide tent although this isn't optimal as the corners that aren't illuminated well will have severely low PAR (comparatively) due to the distance from the center and PAR rolloff.

Speaking of PAR, this 90w unit packs a punch! Here are the PAR maps from the data sheet;

IMG_20210128_014000.thumb.jpg.a7123bde969efdd1ba02a58a4478e065.jpg

It's safe to say that this light would be suitable for veg or flower, just adjusting the distance of the light from your canopy in either phase will have you set on your way to providing your plants with the light they need - lifespan of the unit varies, you'll understand when I get to the prices.

Enough about the features, what about the performance?

Well, for the 2 trees I had in the custom grow box (I built it to take advantage of the lights dimensions and PAR map), they seemed to love every second under it.

The light itself has good penetration and I feel you could get away with putting this light in a bigger grow box due to its intense output - the internal dimensions of my custom box is only 75cm wide, 40cm deep and about 135cm in height (I had some issues or I would've went slightly bigger also).

In veg, leaf growth was lush and green, stems grew sturdy, and overall growth rate was quite surprisingly quick vs distance from the light when I compared it to my blurple and cob fixtures.

The plants love it, and the seem to be fine sitting relatively close to it - no leaves have been trying to hide from the light since the day I started using it.

I guess I haven't seen the need to drop the unit any closer to the plants so it's all good and it successfully avoids any light/heat stress.

While we're talking about heat, it was interesting to find out that this unit runs warm to the touch, even after being on for 16+ hours.

I expected the unit to be a bit warmer, but I could comfortably hold it indefinitely even while it was on (don't do this though, you run the risk of electrical shock if there is a problem with your ground wiring at home or you have a defective unit).

If you added a small fan blowing over the massive heat sink, the temperature of the heat sink itself will drop to somewhere around 30°C - keeping the light relatively cool, contributing less heat to your environment.

As for flowering, this light hasn't disappointed me yet! This is my first flower cycle using it, and the Purple Queen by RQS is surely loving it. Internodes are tight, and bud development looks thick so far.

I'm only in about week 5 of flower, so I have some time left to judge, although I'm expecting great things.

IMG_20210121_035604.thumb.jpg.2c9252b053788e686532f387f7a61bf1.jpg

Here's a short clip of what she looks like at the moment;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjfZfIAVE4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The other tree I had in the box unfortunately fell victim to a spider-mite infestation and didn't make it.

I managed to save the Queen, but now there's just a bunch of empty space here, which leads me to this;

My honest opinion is that, with this light in the right space, you'll experience the easiest 1g/watt you're ever going to achieve.

So, how much does it cost?

Not gonna beat around the bush here, there a few variants of the unit.

Driver lifespan: 50k or 100k hours

Unit: LM301H only or with LH351H Far Red Combo

Power: 90w or 120w

Depending on which you choose, the prices range from;

R2135 for the LM301H only, 90w, 50k hour unit

To R2785 for the LM301H + Far Red, 120w, 100k hour unit.

Along with all that, the seller keeps a full range of spares on hand, offers a 1 day repair service, and offers a service to refurbish the light at the end of its lifespan for a fraction of the cost of a new one!

Not gonna lie, it seems like this light has the greatest value for money that's available in SA right now... Oh, and its proudly made in South Africa. Hit me up if you want to know more or are interested in getting one already.

Anyway, I've still got a few weeks to go for this flower phase so let's see where we end up and what the total harvest is going to be like off this small tree I got going.

For my next run in the box, I plan on having 2 slightly smaller trees (gonna pop 2 wedding cake seeds) under this unit in the same box to better use the space. I'll train them for 4 to 8 mains each and throw the box into flower then.

I'll link you guys to the grow journal once it starts, but for now, watch this space for updates on the flower performance of this unit on the Purple Queen.

IMG_20210125_035719_1.thumb.jpg.e670c07f048d2789ed2b1f1c8c8a80aa.jpg

Thanks for the read guys.

Happy Growing.

• Like 2

Thanks for the write up man, very informative and helpful.

I have been running these lights for quite some time now. He use to also sell the spares when he first got into the scene and I picked myself up 2 of the DIY boards and he threw in the heatsinks for free.

I see now he no longer sells the DIY kit or drivers separately so I have purchased one of the 90w lights, I really don't have any complaints wrt these fixtures, they are well priced and pack a punch.

The only issue I have is that they are a bit too wide to fit into a small tent properly, as you mentioned, but will be perfect for something like a 1,2m wide tent.

I want to run 2 of these in a Mars Hydro 1.2m x 0.6m x 1.8m

• Like 1

That is quite a peculiar size for such a low powered LED light. Especially if you compare it to your typical QB288 which is quite a bit shorter, but wider. The QB288 form factor makes a lot more sense in a smaller tent as far as I am concerned.

Your Qb288 has more diodes, higher output and is a more slimline light.

Your typical QB288 has 33% more diodes compared to that Modugrow light - 192 LM301B diodes vs 288 LM301B diodes, therefore difference of 96 diodes is 33% of 288.... or 50% more of 192. Quite a significant difference as far as I am concerned.

Now the output of the Modugrow is 90W, so the diodes are running at around 0.46w each vs 0.41w each on a QB288 being run at 120W.

We know that these Samsung diodes are more efficient when run at lower power and you get to the point where there are diminishing returns in terms of giving them more power vs the heat output and the PPFD. Not to mention the rate at which the diodes will degrade.

I know MiGro did a test early last year where he took a look at how much the diodes degraded over a 12 month period and on average it was around 5% and based on that he suggested that one replace their lights after 4 years maximum. If the diode degradation is consistent, that is 20% less output (PAR) after 4 years for the same power input. While the diodes themselves may last for 50k hours (around 7 to 8 years), you certainly do not want to be using your light for such a long time due to the degradation.

I am in no way trying to knock the modugrow light, the plain light for R2k sounds like good value for money indeed, however in terms of price per diode it is sort of comparable to spending R2.8k on a QB288 (33% less diodes, so in theory should be 33% more for the additional diodes).

I am just trying to provide a different perspective and help people compare apples with apples, we are fortunate in the sense that we have multiple choices in terms of quality LED grow lights locally.

I have never tried one of those Modugrow lights, but they would be relatively similar to my QBs I imagine considering they use the same diodes although form factor and light intensity would differ a bit. I tried LED strips previously and I personally much prefer my Quantum Board form factor, easier to work with and the intensity I felt was better (more diodes in a smaller area).

Tent size plays a big role too obviously, as mentioned that form factor does not work so well in smaller tents. For interest sake, are you able to dim the light and what driver does it come with?

• Agree 2

On 1/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, PsyCLown said:

That is quite a peculiar size for such a low powered LED light. Especially if you compare it to your typical QB288 which is quite a bit shorter, but wider. The QB288 form factor makes a lot more sense in a smaller tent as far as I am concerned.

Your Qb288 has more diodes, higher output and is a more slimline light.

Your typical QB288 has 33% more diodes compared to that Modugrow light - 192 LM301B diodes vs 288 LM301B diodes, therefore difference of 96 diodes is 33% of 288.... or 50% more of 192. Quite a significant difference as far as I am concerned.

Now the output of the Modugrow is 90W, so the diodes are running at around 0.46w each vs 0.41w each on a QB288 being run at 120W.

We know that these Samsung diodes are more efficient when run at lower power and you get to the point where there are diminishing returns in terms of giving them more power vs the heat output and the PPFD. Not to mention the rate at which the diodes will degrade.

I know MiGro did a test early last year where he took a look at how much the diodes degraded over a 12 month period and on average it was around 5% and based on that he suggested that one replace their lights after 4 years maximum. If the diode degradation is consistent, that is 20% less output (PAR) after 4 years for the same power input. While the diodes themselves may last for 50k hours (around 7 to 8 years), you certainly do not want to be using your light for such a long time due to the degradation.

I am in no way trying to knock the modugrow light, the plain light for R2k sounds like good value for money indeed, however in terms of price per diode it is sort of comparable to spending R2.8k on a QB288 (33% less diodes, so in theory should be 33% more for the additional diodes).

I am just trying to provide a different perspective and help people compare apples with apples, we are fortunate in the sense that we have multiple choices in terms of quality LED grow lights locally.

I have never tried one of those Modugrow lights, but they would be relatively similar to my QBs I imagine considering they use the same diodes although form factor and light intensity would differ a bit. I tried LED strips previously and I personally much prefer my Quantum Board form factor, easier to work with and the intensity I felt was better (more diodes in a smaller area).

Tent size plays a big role too obviously, as mentioned that form factor does not work so well in smaller tents. For interest sake, are you able to dim the light and what driver does it come with?

Thanks a lot for the well structured response bro, much appreciated. 

Let me start off by saying I agree with everything 100% 

I'm not saying it's "cheaper" in the regular sense, , however it certainly has a better appeal to people growing in closets, slightly wider spaces, or that just don't want to drop 3.5-4k on a fixture to grow some bud, you know - as for the price, the par map makes it he fixture look a lot sexier it, lol...

Also, if you only have 4k to fill a 0.8m x 1.2m space, you could get 2 of these and create a really nice,even PAR canopy instead of saving up 1.5k more to spend on a huge PAR hot-spot in the middle, catch my drift? 

With that said, IMO, if someone wants a light for a regular square tent (70cmsq and below) rather save and get a classic QB288 for the form factor and output. 

About the driver, I've been looking and can't seen to find it anymore. It's efficiency is about 88% from what's in the description, and I don't remember it being meanwell... It was some lesser known brand if I remember correctly. Also, it isn't dimmable. 

They had the power supply for sale under spares on their site but seem to have taken it off. 

Anyway, I feel like if someone was going to DIY some strips and order everything abroad, this might be a better and possibly cheaper option (due to customs), with the backing of a South African company, warranty and all that good stuff.

Any more feedback on this unit will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again gents. 

Thanks a lot for the well structured response bro, much appreciated. 
Let me start off by saying I agree with everything 100% 

I'm not saying it's "cheaper" in the regular sense, , however it certainly has a better appeal to people growing in closets, slightly wider spaces, or that just don't want to drop 3.5-4k on a fixture to grow some bud, you know - as for the price, the par map makes it he fixture look a lot sexier it, lol...
Also, if you only have 4k to fill a 0.8m x 1.2m space, you could get 2 of these and create a really nice,even PAR canopy instead of saving up 1.5k more to spend on a huge PAR hot-spot in the middle, catch my drift? 

With that said, IMO, if someone wants a light for a regular square tent (70cmsq and below) rather save and get a classic QB288 for the form factor and output. 

About the driver, I've been looking and can't seen to find it anymore. It's efficiency is about 88% from what's in the description, and I don't remember it being meanwell... It was some lesser known brand if I remember correctly. Also, it isn't dimmable. 
They had the power supply for sale under spares on their site but seem to have taken it off. 

Anyway, I feel like if someone was going to DIY some strips and order everything abroad, this might be a better and possibly cheaper option (due to customs), with the backing of a South African company, warranty and all that good stuff.
Any more feedback on this unit will be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks again gents. 

Yeah, this form factor could work well in a cupboard or make do grow area.

88% efficiency isn't bad but is lower than the Meanwell drivers. For what you're paying for the light, not the end of the world. At that price point you don't expect top of the range anyways.

DIY often works out cheaper, but buying is much easier and quicker. At this price point, DIYay not be worth while for such a light.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have 2 90w Modugrow and really do enjoy them, I've used the 2 for Veg in my 1.2mx1.2m and will now add my 240w QB in the middle for Flower. 

The driver is 94% efficient. 

I do think they are abit expensive when looking at R/per watt and there are a lot of options available but I must say the customer service is good, part of my one light failed and they shipped me a replacement light within a no further questions asked when I messaged them. 

They also have spares for end of life replacement which I think will pay in the long run. 

• Like 1

I have 2 90w Modugrow and really do enjoy them, I've used the 2 for Veg in my 1.2mx1.2m and will now add my 240w QB in the middle for Flower. 
The driver is 94% efficient. 
I do think they are abit expensive when looking at R/per watt and there are a lot of options available but I must say the customer service is good, part of my one light failed and they shipped me a replacement light within a no further questions asked when I messaged them. 
They also have spares for end of life replacement which I think will pay in the long run. 

Thanks for the info bro.

I got the 88% figure from an older post I think. I rechecked the data sheet, is it 94%.

I agree, their customer service is insane, I get same day (within a hour or 2) replies almost every time I message.

Also,@PsyCLown
Here's the spare part list, maybe you can find which driver it uses from this.
91b9274fd7ddd3fa7762804bce0d2ebd.jpg

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1