Problem at harvest time - pls help

HappyGrower

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of autoflowers showing a white powdery substance on many of the fan leaves (might be on flowers too). I am growing them outdoors (started them indoors for their first 4 weeks). Now, I have had mould issues indoors before, but have had plenty plants outdoors never showing mould, so I am not sure what to do.

Can someone pls identify this ? (attached 4 pictures of the 2 plants)

I was planning on harvesting these plants soon (one within a week) - can they be saved somehow?

Thanks in advance!

PS: BTW, I am in Cape Town, not sure about the strain of these 2 autoflowers and I am growing them using hydroponic nutrients.

1.jpg

22.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

• Like 1

@HappyGrower my friend that is the "we don't speak it's name" issue that most growers get when facing excessive humidity and lack of airflow.

Almost all growers have had a run in with White Powdery Mold. Its exceptionally difficult to control once it's on the plant (especially if the plant is in flower) preventative measures is the best medicine.

Some of the folks on the forum would recommend a bud wash after the harvest. So you don't necessarily have to loose your harvest.

It looks like your plants are still quite a long way away from harvest time and that infestation  looks rather on the bad side... I would cut my losses and start fresh. 

Good luck man, I am sure some forum members might be able to guide you better.

Happy growing

• Like 1

That is Powdery Mildew and it is a decent amount too.

Your plant is far away from being ready to harvest though, so you have time to try and treat it if you really want to.

Perhaps try some sulphur as that is a fungicide, it does leave a residue but can be washed off. Copper soap is an option too, however I'd prefer not to use that during flower.

For preventative measures, aq sf is a good option  - can also be used for an infection like you have, its spores for a fungus which feeds on the PM I believe. Worth a try as well, however I think start with Sulphur and then once its better consider moving over to aq sf to control and keep at bay until harvest and then bud wash for sure.

• Like 1

Very far from harvest ^^ but as you flower.. you can't go to brutal or your taste will suffer a lot... going direction compost heap. 

First I would do a radical defoil... every leaf with a trace of PM has to go. Then.. you can spray a bit... recommendations from the guys before work.. I add Bicarb of Soda as a spray, 2g per liter. Soak as good as you can, spray every 3 days till you see a result. 

I honestly would throw the towel and restart.. PM in your buds is the last you want to smoke. You still can bud wash, but that also depends how good you get rid of the PM now till harvest.

If you have over 68% humidity.. you will run into PM issues. Not sure where in CT you sit, I am Blouberg side and humidity was sweet till now. 

If you would have Serenade.. one proper spray and should be fine.

Just keep the plants in a environment with humidity under 60%! You will lose if you can't handle the humidity... Flowering plants should be kept at 45-55% anyhow.. or taste and potency will suffer.

• Agree 2

First - thanks for all the replies guys!

Ok, many ideas here which I will certainly explore! I am confused though - I had this type of mold in my tent before and there I knew that in my case humidity was the issue - without a dehumidifier the Rh in my tent (especially during flowering) averages around 75% - so that I understand. But these plants were OUTSIDE in the open in Cape Town. No way lack of airflow was an issue, and humidity is not high at all this time of year. How did this happen and I need to learn proper preventative measures since I hate losing any plants...

It needs to be considered that some strains are just more susceptable to mildew. Sometimes all it takes is a few days with high RH and boom....

While you follow your plan of action or treatment, you could cut a few 'clean' clones(just in case), it would be faster than starting from seed again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

For preventative measures, aq sf is a good option  - can also be used for an infection like you have, its spores for a fungus which feeds on the PM I believe. Worth a try as well, however I think start with Sulphur and then once its better consider moving over to aq sf to control and keep at bay until harvest and then bud wash for sure.

I apologize for my stupidity - I have no clue what the abbreviation "aq sf" refers to - can you xplain pls? Also, searching google for "sulphur in cape town" will not give me very usable results - can you refer to a product name or something to helk me find it online?

Again, apologies for the stupidity...

13 minutes ago, HappyGrower said:

Ok, many ideas here which I will certainly explore! I am confused though - I had this type of mold in my tent before and there I knew that in my case humidity was the issue - without a dehumidifier the Rh in my tent (especially during flowering) averages around 75% - so that I understand. But these plants were OUTSIDE in the open in Cape Town. No way lack of airflow was an issue, and humidity is not high at all this time of year. How did this happen and I need to learn proper preventative measures since I hate losing any plants...

We just had a bad weather front.. did you got rain? And yes, you get PM issues more outside as inside.. as inside you can fight it. Outside you endure the mercy of mother nature. PM spores are everywhere.. they just wait for the right conditions to go berserk. Once you have it... not as easy to get rid of it again. And if you grow indoor beside, you will carry more spores inside when handling your infected ladies.

I am that honest.. I would dump those and save the fertilizer for a clean batch. Just started to flower... you lost 4 weeks.. bummer.. and spray regular with copper soap during veg.. if you expect more issues. copper soap just not during flower.. ruins the taste. And if you really battle with PM, Serenade Garden Disease Control. Import you a bottle.. better 2 ^^ just to have it on stock, when you should need it.

31 minutes ago, HappyGrower said:

I am confused though - I had this type of mold in my tent before and there I knew that in my case humidity was the issue - without a dehumidifier the Rh in my tent (especially during flowering) averages around 75% - so that I understand. But these plants were OUTSIDE in the open in Cape Town.

The way I understand it, PM is a fungus and can travel through the air via spores. Plants in your garden or just even outdoors, sometimes even partially underground, can suffer from PM which then passes on to your outdoor cannabis plants. 

• Like 1

i would spray the plant with a 5050 mix of water and fresh milk... do this weekly for a month and you will see a drastic reduction in the PM

h202 will not work well ...it is not able to kill the spores at the low dose you need... you need a 3% solution spray and it will stop the PM from spreading, until the spores grab hold again... 

the way the plant is fox tailing... im not sure it will even yeild anything smokable... what pot do you have it in and what meduim are you using and what nutes and stuff?

i would get some more plants on the grow if you dont plan on tossing this one... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyGrower said:

Awe bru, PM has been a problem in Cape Town hey. I had it, I'm in the south. My mate had it who lives in the northern suburbs. TBH, all the mates who grow had it this year and last. This is both indoors and outdoors.

I sprayed my ladies with milk, H202, and some recipe i found online. Eventually ended up tossing all my plants and resetting. Goodluck man!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyGrower said:

I apologize for my stupidity - I have no clue what the abbreviation "aq sf" refers to - can you xplain pls? Also, searching google for "sulphur in cape town" will not give me very usable results - can you refer to a product name or something to helk me find it online?

Again, apologies for the stupidity...

Here we go, take a look at these products:

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/biosulfur-250ml-r85/

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/aq-sf-ampelomyces-quisqualis-liquid-250ml-r100/

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/bio-build-1kg-r60/

Milk and water also works well actually and is easy to get, but does smell a little and leaves a residue on your plants and tent.

• Agree 1

Wow - I am now starting to really realize how little I know - much 2 learn!!! Again, thank you to everyone for indulging my lack of knowledge here!

I am still trying to get to grips on all the additions and changes I will have to make to try (as best I can) to avoid PM in future - as well as other issues Im discovering (Psy - your grow posts also helps a HUGE amount!!). I hope you guys can help with a few more questions... Here is one - im sure there is more to come...

The milk & water mix. It was mentioned to use a 50/50 mix. Application details - when, how often - how much? 
Psy: The residue you mentioned from using the milk & water mix - any good/easy ways to get rid of that?

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Here we go, take a look at these products:

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/biosulfur-250ml-r85/

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/aq-sf-ampelomyces-quisqualis-liquid-250ml-r100/

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/bio-build-1kg-r60/

Milk and water also works well actually and is easy to get, but does smell a little and leaves a residue on your plants and tent.

When using milk make sure you get unpasteurized..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HappyGrower said:

Im in Kuils River - humidity should be less of a problem here than in Blouberg I think...?

I must actually agree with @Prom Might be a good Idea to toss them clean your tent good and start over.. I have some of @Totemic 's Ginetics going and they will be sexed by the end of the week.. I will not have space for all of them so you welcome to the extras.. Send me a PM if you interested. I'm also in Kuilsriver.

:-peace

4 hours ago, CoolJ said:

I've actually had a similar experience where I took a plant from inside(no PM) and placed it outside next to my other plant but only the plant I brought from inside had heavy PM and no signs of PM on the one that has been outside. 

LOL! Im sorry, I think I smoked wayyy too much cuz I am trying to make sense of that but just can't... 🤔