Mutation?

Green

Question

Hi everyone,

For my first grow, I decided to sprout some bag seeds I've been collecting. To my surprise (some were over 2 years old and not the healthiest looking) they all sprouted. However one of them just grew massive cotyledon leaves and stretched taller than the others. After a few days some tiny, hook-like stems with extra tiny deformed leaves appeared. The growth was really slow so I dismissed it as a deformed plant that was struggling and likely wont make it, but it wasn't dead yet so I kept watering. I wish I took photos at this stage because its hard to describe how super weird the initial growths were.  I really started paying attention when new, normal leaves started appearing, but from a new stem that grew at a right angle out of the cotyledons. It's like the plant was trying to grow upside down. That was a week ago, since then the sideways stem has slowly corrected itself and leaf growth has caught up with the other seedlings. 

I searched online and read some forums but could not find anything close enough to what is happening with this plant. Has anyone seen or heard of this? Here are some pics from today. 

20210119_140205.jpg

20210119_140348.jpg

20210119_140400.jpg

4 answers to this question

Haha, that does look a bit weird indeed but it seems as if the plant basically topped itself - so in terms of training the plant has already done some work for you.

Most likely a deformity or it got damaged while growing, let it continue to grow as it seems fine now. Just ensure your seedlings are getting enough light - it does look very lanky and this can often be due to an insufficient amount of light.

They're on a windowsill which gets a full days indirect light with about 4 hours direct sunlight. If the wind is ok then they get even more sun outside. 

More weirdness, looks like a tiny new growth is emerging from the cotyledons...

20210120_105137.jpg

• Like 1