Bud Wash Drying Advice

Hi, today is chop day and I am considering doing a bud wash for half my grow. I plan to use 4 buckets, 1st with a 0.3% Hydrogen Peroxide water mix, 2nd bucket with lemon juice and bicarb water mix, 3rd warm water and 4th cool water. Read up quite a bit on it and this seems to be alright. My biggest concern is the drying.

Currently my plan is to dry in my tent with all flaps open and leaving my tent fan running. I will open the window in the room and leave the room door open as well. Considering having a bigger standing fan oscillating at the tent as well for the first hour or until the bud isn't wet to the touch. The tent fan is quite small, I will probably leave it running till tomorrow.

Would this be fine or are there any suggestions on improvement anyone has? Really don't want to risk getting mould.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You have mold on or not? If you don't have on, don't wash. 

Drying.. yes, is a bit of an art 😁 you do not need loads of air flow. What you want to achieve is stable temp (around 20 degrees) and the right humidity to dry in (50-60%). You got that, air flow is not really important. And as long as you let the weed DRY!!!!! and don't jar it to fast, you should never get a mold issue on dry weed. Remember that those spores are EVERYWHERE, you can only prevent them from starting to grow, as long as it is to dry for them to do anything. Over 68% air humidity, you WILL run into troubles. Most people jar weed to wet.. patience is the key to harvest, dry and cure.

• Like 2

Why wash off potency??? Why would it be a better smoke? Washing off dirt? 

You wash your buds when you have to. Rest you get the smoke you have in the plants genetics. If you are in the mood to wash your weed.. I can't stop you.. I wouldn't do it just for the fun of it hehehe if your weed is so dirty from the wind.. you want to grow on a different spot anyhow 😋 

Edited by Prom
typos ^^
  • Agree 3

😁 I quickly went to your first link.. Yes, salad from the garden you wash ^^ I just read the first bid and wasn't sure if i should read on.

I think we had the discussion about washing buds in here before. As I said, I only do it, if I have to.. and if i really really have to, the compost heap gets visit 😂 Soft PM or soft parasite infection.. I would wash. Rest I declare myself the loser and try to make it better next time. I would never ever use a chemical pesticide on my weed (biological warfare i use against PM ^^). That would go compost in any case. Very hard to get it clean and making your weed wet, is also asking shortly for biiiig trouble. When you dry your weed correctly and wait till it has the right moment to jar.. the inside of a big bud can stay very long moist inside, it will release that to the rest. If that goes over 68% in your jar, mold will start to grow. Slowly but steady.. you always smell it first. And if you smell it.. the batch is off. 

Most save way is to watch your parameters when you dry and OVER dry a bit. As most take it to wet, over dry is a better chance to not have a mold issue. Then get a Boveda bag. I use 62% for the first 2 weeks and 58% for long term storage. You can re-moist the bags, so they last forever, as long as they don't come from a moldy glass.. dump those right away. If you do not trust your own judgment, get a cheap cheap humidity meter to drop in your Jar.. 68%.. you go over.. re dry your stuff! 😁 You do it right, you end with weed you can store for as long as you want. 

1662119273_AmneziaHazeMarch2020.thumb.jpg.2c7b270ef1070d72cc7556b8cc7d1d58.jpg

Should add.. you want to end up around 62-58% and you will have a sexy smoke 😎

Edited by Prom
last sentense
  • Like 2

Thanks for the drying advice. I think I'm still going to give it a go, I like doing these little experiments. The harvest should be big enough for me to still have enough for myself and friends should the wash go bad. Reading up a bit more it sounds like I can exclude the Hydrogen Peroxide, so will just be lemon + bicarb then 2 plain water buckets.

If you fear mold.. just use the bicarb of soda. 2g per liter and wash off with clear water. Look that the water is around 20 degrees. Not to warm to make the resin soft, not to cold to make it brittle. One bucket with water is fine, the solution of the first gets massively diluted, just leave it in the second bucket as long as you, gentle move it in the first. Right away hang it in a very airy spot and try to get them as fast back to normal dry.. and start your procedure.

Have fun 😁

PS: Don't mix the bicarb with lemon juice.. you cancel the effects out to my understanding. Lemon juice is acidic.. PM not likey that.. same with to alkaline, Bicarb of Soda. One or the other. I prefer the bicarb of soda. 

Edited by Prom
  • Like 1

@Slartibarfast so I bud wash my plants. Generally the hydrogen peroxide is only require if you have pests and/or PM. Otherwise you can likely skip the Hydrogen peroxide.

I am quite rough with the dunking of buds in the buckets,  I then "spin" it in my hand to get excess water off and then hang it up to dry before putting it into a tent to dry.

Temperature is very important when drying, heat can degrade the terpenes - try keep it under 26C.

Humidity is also very important, you do not want it to be too high (higher risk of getting mold) - but at the same time not too low (can dry out the bud too quickly).

Do not have fans blowing directly onto the bud either as it will dry it out too quickly.

What I like to do and I understand not everyone has such a setup,  but have an extraction fan linked to a RH probe to ensure the humidity stays below 70% (65% if you want to be safer).

Then fans inside the tent moving air around but not blowing directly onto the bud which is being dried and I check on the drying buds every day to make sure all is going well.

I do prefer to bottle before the bud becomes too dry. I prefer my Boveda packs to lower the RH slightly as opposed to have the Boveda packs increase the RH and try add moisture back into the bud. The trick when doing this is to ensure the bud is not put into the jars too wet - if it is too wet take it out the jars and put it back into the drying tent.

• Like 5

@Slartibarfast so I bud wash my plants. Generally the hydrogen peroxide is only require if you have pests and/or PM. Otherwise you can likely skip the Hydrogen peroxide.

I am quite rough with the dunking of buds in the buckets,  I then "spin" it in my hand to get excess water off and then hang it up to dry before putting it into a tent to dry.
Temperature is very important when drying, heat can degrade the terpenes - try keep it under 26C.
Humidity is also very important, you do not want it to be too high (higher risk of getting mold) - but at the same time not too low (can dry out the bud too quickly).
Do not have fans blowing directly onto the bud either as it will dry it out too quickly.

What I like to do and I understand not everyone has such a setup,  but have an extraction fan linked to a RH probe to ensure the humidity stays below 70% (65% if you want to be safer).
Then fans inside the tent moving air around but not blowing directly onto the bud which is being dried and I check on the drying buds every day to make sure all is going well.

I do prefer to bottle before the bud becomes too dry. I prefer my Boveda packs to lower the RH slightly as opposed to have the Boveda packs increase the RH and try add moisture back into the bud. The trick when doing this is to ensure the bud is not put into the jars too wet - if it is too wet take it out the jars and put it back into the drying tent.
Awesome thanks for the advice. Will make sure to keep the fans from blowing directly on the bud. Temp and humidity is looking good in the tent around 25°C and 55% RH.

• Like 1

This is all so interesting to read as well as the different perspectives.

I have been watching a lot of videos and reading up in the recent week/weeks as I am coming near harvest.

I have also been in 2 minds with a bud wash, as I have run into a slight bit of PM on a few leaves. Doesn't look to be on the bud sites yet, however, I am still new at this, so could not be looking carefully enough 😛

So with the PM in mind, with the googling, I came across washing your buds.

I was first blown away as I thought this must be a joke and thought, this would affect the potency, taste etc.

But as far as I have read, it doesn't seem to have any negative impact and read so many people saying for outdoor, you should definitely bud wash as anything could have blown into a bud or a sneaky worm created his home in there XD

I do believe, if you do run into any pest or PM issues, it should be treated prior to harvest time, but there could be a time when this stuff comes in at the worst time e.g. a week before harvest (then possibly doing a bud wash would be the solution here with the hydrogen peroxide)

Obviously, I have never tried this and cannot say yay or nay.

But thought I would add here as it was something I have been looking into due to the recent PM issue I have run into.

• Like 2

This is all so interesting to read as well as the different perspectives.
I have been watching a lot of videos and reading up in the recent week/weeks as I am coming near harvest.
I have also been in 2 minds with a bud wash, as I have run into a slight bit of PM on a few leaves. Doesn't look to be on the bud sites yet, however, I am still new at this, so could not be looking carefully enough
So with the PM in mind, with the googling, I came across washing your buds.
I was first blown away as I thought this must be a joke and thought, this would affect the potency, taste etc.
But as far as I have read, it doesn't seem to have any negative impact and read so many people saying for outdoor, you should definitely bud wash as anything could have blown into a bud or a sneaky worm created his home in there XD
I do believe, if you do run into any pest or PM issues, it should be treated prior to harvest time, but there could be a time when this stuff comes in at the worst time e.g. a week before harvest (then possibly doing a bud wash would be the solution here with the hydrogen peroxide)
Obviously, I have never tried this and cannot say yay or nay.
But thought I would add here as it was something I have been looking into due to the recent PM issue I have run into.
I think I went down a similar rabbit hole as you. The process was not too bad, was just a bit taxing after the cutting and trimming. So far the drying is looking good too, this is just a normal dry in a tent with good air circulation. Seems to be drying at roughly the same pace as the non washed batch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slartibarfast said:

I think I went down a similar rabbit hole as you. The process was not too bad, was just a bit taxing after the cutting and trimming. So far the drying is looking good too, this is just a normal dry in a tent with good air circulation. Seems to be drying at roughly the same pace as the non washed batch.

I typically do the bud wash, then I trim afterwards, then hang to dry.

I find it easier this way, but much of a muchness really I guess. It is quite nasty to see the dust and dirt on the bud which comes off and even worse is the stuff you probably don't see. Each time you open your tent, dirt gets in, and when you get inside your tent you are bringing dirt in as well... there is soil or coco most of the time and fans blowing stuff around in the tent etc. etc.

Do you really want to be smoking all of that? Likely makes the smoke a bit harsher too. I personally don't want to smoke hair, dust and bugs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Do you really want to be smoking all of that? Likely makes the smoke a bit harsher too. I personally don't want to smoke hair, dust and bugs.

For sure @PsyCLown
I had never thought about it until recently.

To think of it from another perspective.

You have spent a lot of money on everything from the medium, to seeds, to nutrients and so on.

Why not go the extra mile and bud wash before drying and curing to insure all your cash and efforts have not been a waste, also seeing as a lot of the people have said that it would have no impact to the potency.

On the opposite side of things though, I doubt I have ever smoked a bud washed bud ever in my life and I haven't died yet 😂

But I guess this is the beauty of doing it for yourself now, you get to test all these different techniques until you find the way which fits your needs 🙂

@Slartibarfast let us know how it goes 🙂

• Like 1

Washed my buds last season due to being close to sandy piggery and you could see the dirt. It was a serious mission but you would be surprised at all the stuff that comes off the bud. The difference in before and after was huge. I cant for certain say the smoke was better, but I did know I smoked alot less junk. As per above, try and do it when its hot and sunny rather than cold and wet. Mold is horrible.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I always wash my buds simply coz of the amount of dirt that accumulates on the flowers. I agree with the smoke being better as I've done a side by side, washed and unwashed sections of the same plant.

My process is first to remove all fan leaves, the 3 buckets, 4 if i had PM. Lemon and bicarb wash, i think the fizzing helps with dislodging hairs and shit. Then 2 baths of clean water. After that it's the spin cycle, swinging buds like a mal donner.

I like to hang my plants on the washing line, in shade obviously, just until the excess water is out. Once it's not dripping anymore, i swing again and then into my tent with only the extractor fan. This works well for me, coz the tent vs ambient temp and humidty is around 1 degree and 8% RH different.

1 minute ago, Ill_Evan said:

Legit thought I was the only dummy swinging my dagga branches around 😆

After all the washes i've done, this method has proven to be the best for extracting water from the buds. I wonder what my neighbours think I'm doing

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Samjardine said:

just found a local place selling 3 Vol so no need for complicated math now. All I've read doing the H202 rinse is best to rid of bugs. so will give this a shot. 

Sweet, will make life easier but may be expensive.

It will help to kill bugs & eggs which may remain on the bud after harvest and can assist with PM as well if you have had some.

Let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, CG420za said:

After all the washes i've done, this method has proven to be the best for extracting water from the buds. I wonder what my neighbours think I'm doing

Used your ratios to the 3 bucket wash last year.. For the life of me can't find it again.. Input on ratios again please dude...😎👌👍🌱