House break in's

Wulf

Hey guys

So I just wanted to write a short post on how my last week was living in sunny South Africa 🇿🇦 

We had 3 break in's in 4 days, 1st one was 2 weeks ago on a Thursday at 3 to 4 am, guys broke a window so this woke us all up, so they fled. Police called, guys came out, done finger prints etc. And reported to us that there were many break in's the same night.

Landlady called, she recokns she is not doing anything about the broken window, neither is she installing an alarm system and she ain't putting up any fence or wall around her house..yikes!!! Like really??? (Yip no fence around this house)

Ok so the same Saturday morning these guys decided to come back, this time we don't hear anything and they managed to get away with some camping gear but it seems like they also scouted out the whole layout. Problem is we only realised this by Sunday night. (Items that did get stolen were still there on Friday).

Monday morning at 4am we were woken up to lots of voices downstairs,  we made our way down and lots of feet went running, got away with about 5k worth of meat and fish.(we had family coming over so we decided to stock up)

The reason for writing this post is just to make people more aware, people have to be more vigilant at this time of the year. 

Don't take your security for granted, if you can't feel safe in your own home where can you feel safe???

Reinstate the death penalty??? What about human rights, ok so wheres my human rights when you rape my wife in front of me, then kill me? And all the while my family continues to pay tax which government uses to feed you while you in prison, they clothe you, you can even get a good education while in prison,  and in fact you even have rights, if you a vegetarian the state must provide those meals for you, and don't call me a prisoner, that's a derogatory term, Im called a client of the state, what a joke!

• Sad 3

I feel your pain bruh.

We got same stories on the north coast.

SAP dont do their job, there is no visible policing at all. Most of the cops are taking protection money from the Nigerian wonga dealers and thus dont get touched. We have drug(most hardcore stuff except cannabis ) and whore houses in most neighbourhoods. 

Now that the cops are watching the beaches the criminals are having a field day. Brazenly robbing houses in broad daylight, last week they robbed a jewellery chain store in the mall in the middle of the day. 

My vehicles have been broken into 3 times this year as I was forced to park outside the garage. But no entry into the house-If they can get past the pitbulls (which sleep inside) there is some 9mm tablets ready.

We all have to get serious about personal security, as I doubt the state of chaos will improve any time soon. 

• Agree 2
  • Sad 2

@Bos and @Bakstein420 hey guys, thanks for your replies. 

I think its very important to have a dog as they usually alert you to the on coming danger.

The law fails us as even if you are legally armed and defend yourself, and end up killing someone, you will be arrested, charges brought against you, you would basically have to prove you innocent. Lots of headaches for you while if "He" is a "Kleva" and enters your home and there is a barrier between you and him like a gate, you CAN NOT open fire on him! The only time you can is if your life or that of another human beings is in imminent danger,  eg. He points a gun at you, by which time he would have already shot you. 

A wise forumite said to me its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it...

What drives me mad, really mad, is when people tell me at least you got away with your life, really???? Is this the norm??? Like we should just be grateful that no other human being killed us that day???  

How have we progressed as a species??? Why shuld I wake up and go to work? while u just come rob me of my belongings??? (Rant over...)🤐

Edited by Wulf
  • Like 3

Well versed in the those parts of the law and all the bulldust Mr Cele tries to spread. Have legally owned and used fire arms for almost 20years. 

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Try to be prepared as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guns... they are not always the solution. If you show your weapon, you will escalate the situation. If you want and have to use it.. do it, otherwise, think twice to show a gun.

Just buying one, doesn't make you hit and hitting you want with every shot on low distance. Getting a side arm demands that you educate yourself and train with it.. or you just escalate the situation to your worse. 

I am thinking into getting a side arm at the moment.. had a youngster trying to highjack my car. The size blade he pulled out, would have easy gone through my chest and into the seat 🙄 was pure luck i had my driver window going up as i felt uncomfortable suddenly. I avoid any road passing a township now and close windows on robots.

I think into getting a HK VP9, had a Desert Eagle 44 when living in Switzerland, sexy but to big. Not that you really need one there hehehe but a youngster and guns. When I got my first pay check from my first fix job, I walked with my credit card into a gun shop in Bern and came out with a Mossberg Pump Action 10 mins later. Stopped on the way home on the highway and tested the gun on a street sign 😂 wasn't the first hole somebody did ^^ Swiss love their guns. We shot on 50 meter with a Sig Saur P226, friends gun, cheaper as the Desert Eagle (awesome to fire at night, the fire blast out of the barrel is very much impressive) 😂 You even can select rifle shooting (0.22 caliber) in school.. what I did ^^ Free to use shooting range and free ammunition once a week.

Somebody in here more into gun licenses? I would like to make a license to carry my side arm with me.. possible here? You can't do that in Switzerland as a private, you need a job in relation or is a no no. Would be private for me, not sure possible.

• Like 2

@Prom  hi bud.

Sure there are legal ways to carry a sidearm in South Africa. You can have a look at a Section 13 licence which is for self defence and valid for 5 years.  (Only shotgun and handgun allowed under Sec 13)

Otherwise you can get a sec 15 which is an occasional sport shooting/hunting licence or a sec 16 which is a dedicated sport shooting/hunting licence. These licences are valid for 10 years and also includes semi automatic rifles over and above handguns and shotguns.

In order to obtain any of these licences you first have to complete a competency  process and examination in order to obtain a competency certification. After you receice this certificatiom from an accredited institution you still have to apply for a SAPS competency card. This will allow you to apply for the actual licence to possess a firearm. You will also need to first purchase the firearm before being able to process a firearm licence as the serial number and description of the weapon is needed to finalise the licence application.

There are lots of people out there that will be able to assist with such a process.  Institutions like GOSA and PHASA. 

I have to advise that the process is quite cumbersome and for a competency and firearm licence from SAPS can take up to a year..

I hope the information helps.

Saps link - https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/faq_categories.php

Cheers

Edited by John Stonedwell
Link added
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Prom said:

Just buying one, doesn't make you hit and hitting you want with every shot on low distance. Getting a side arm demands that you educate yourself and train with it.. or you just escalate the situation to your worse.

@Prom These words are gold! "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail!"

@Wulf that's a good question man. I had a chat about it with a friend just a couple of days ago on the range.

Firstly I am not legally qualified to give advice but our take on it was that if you were to use a sec 15 or 16 licenced weapon to defend yourself and the actual action of using the firearm falls within the ambit of the law. I.e all the legal requirements for self defence. One can argue that the action was warranted irrespective of the licencing status of the weapon used to protect yourself. So your competency status to use that weapon within the confines of common law and the firearms control act should be able to provide legal basis for the use of that weapon to protect yourself.

Again this was just our opinion.

Cheers

• Like 1

Sorry about your loss of many things, most importantly your privacy. Crime and corruption will be the death of South Africa. I dont think the ANC should be given the power of the death penalty.

SAP dont do their job, there is no visible policing at all. Most of the cops are taking protection money from the Nigerian wonga dealers and thus dont get touched.

Safest street in my area is the the local drug dealers den, he rents from a local cop. We dont call cops anymore. I have had to use some brain power to work out our security issues, and touch wood we are safe for now. The most important thing I have done is to be more vigilant. We have kilometres of fencing to monitor and I have got so intune with it, I can tell the different styles of fence cuts. We have two problems, poachers and house breakers. My first line of defense is the fences, as soon as they are tampered with I know to pick up patrols, especially over school holidays, month end, full moon and windy/rainy days. These are most of the times they tend to raid. I have confronted them a number of times, caught them twice,been to their houses, spoken with thier bosses. . The last time I called the police they charged me with assault and kidnapping of a thief !!!!!

Point of my waffle above is you have to be responsible for your own security, you cant rely on alarm systems or even security companies. We have setup many processes to initially protect ourselves now, early warning systems and not to proud, but we barely lock our doors at night.

Somebody in here more into gun licenses? I would like to make a license to carry my side arm with me.. possible here? You can't do that in Switzerland as a private, you need a job in relation or is a no no. Would be private for me, not sure possible.

As a foreigner, you should still be able to get a license. There is a good gunshop just off Louis Botha that does it all for you. I do believe they are taking much longer to process applications, was quoted 6k for a handgun with certificate and have to wait about 6 months for a license. Gun owners are also complaining that they have to send their guns in for balistics for renewals now. Ironic that Switzerland is the most armed nation in the world with the least amount of crime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Jay said:

As a foreigner, you should still be able to get a license. There is a good gunshop just off Louis Botha that does it all for you. I do believe they are taking much longer to process applications, was quoted 6k for a handgun with certificate and have to wait about 6 months for a license. Gun owners are also complaining that they have to send their guns in for balistics for renewals now. Ironic that Switzerland is the most armed nation in the world with the least amount of crime.

Taking the ballistics of guns, especially hand guns, is a good thing to do. This gets done all over Europe.. also Switzerland, takes 6 months to get your hand gun license, they check you up ^^ . The difference is a bit how people look at it. We can only shoot max 66 meters on a friends property. Were looking for a 100 meter target practice.. shooting a air rifle with a professional muffler.. completely silent, birds not even get disturbed a few meters away. Had a drive, found a spot, shot to calibrate till a car pulled up with some youngsters, calling us all names and so on. We packed and moved. Checked with a friend in Tulbagh, wine farm.. sure, we do distance shooting too, just hop in. 😁 That is the good part in SA.. you always find what you need hehehe. We do the air rifle on 200 meters now, 100 wasn't a real challenge. 200, little wind.. great fun. 

In Switzerland, we went shooting in the forest, cases of ammunition, not silent hehehe every single hiker coming by had a look, talk and asked if he can shoot a few rounds.. and walked on. Never ever had contact with the Police in regards of shooting noise, hand guns to full automatic assault rifles. The major difference is that all male Swiss need to do military service.. or you have a medical document telling you are not fit to do that. So all are trained to use a weapon the right way, you even get your military weapon home.. with a full clip. 😁 Nobody messes with the Swiss.. as in each home there is a loaded assault rifle 😂 Lived there for 26 years.. I love em 😆

I will hand in my permanent residency this year... could already have done it a few years ago.. but the final point was the weed law 😁 i can grow my stuff legal.. yeah.. I get me the SA ID 😎 Have to do my Visa anyhow now.. so why not last time. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

@Prom, I saw you want to apply for the permanent residence. I applied for it a few months before the lockdown. A friend of mine applied a few weeks earlier than me and was lucky to get it just a week before the lockdown. I was excited about that, as I thought that when he got it I should get mine soon too. Not long ago I received an email telling me that DHA has changed it priorities and waiting time for processing the permanent residence will take 24-48 months from now on. I will not be around anymore by the time it's processed I guess. I hope you'll be lucky to get yours faster.

I wanted to apply for the gun license too but now it seems that's not going to happen. We are covered though as my wife has one.

16 hours ago, Fridge said:

@Prom, I saw you want to apply for the permanent residence. I applied for it a few months before the lockdown. A friend of mine applied a few weeks earlier than me and was lucky to get it just a week before the lockdown. I was excited about that, as I thought that when he got it I should get mine soon too. Not long ago I received an email telling me that DHA has changed it priorities and waiting time for processing the permanent residence will take 24-48 months from now on. I will not be around anymore by the time it's processed I guess. I hope you'll be lucky to get yours faster.

I wanted to apply for the gun license too but now it seems that's not going to happen. We are covered though as my wife has one.

Wasn't it always 2 years waiting time ^^ never heard of a fast handling, your friend was very lucky hehehe If.. you are in a hurry, I can give you a contact.. will cost a little but the Visa will get done within 2-3 weeks. The money you pay, will make you jump the queue 😁 corruption has its benefits

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Prom said:

Nobody messes with the Swiss.. as in each home there is a loaded assault rifle 😂 Lived there for 26 years.. I love em

I lived there for several months to, loved it, the people, country, the food, the freedom. In 1996 I could walk into certain shops and buy weed, bongs, pipes, papers. We were also able to grow weed where I was based ( Ticino ) working as a gardener. The time of my life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prom said:

Wasn't it always 2 years waiting time ^^ never heard of a fast handling, your friend was very lucky hehehe If.. you are in a hurry, I can give you a contact.. will cost a little but the Visa will get done within 2-3 weeks. The money you pay, will make you jump the queue 😁 corruption has its benefits

They worked faster recently, plus I have submitted it a year ago already. This has set me back by half a year at least and in the end the total waiting time for it to be processed could be ridiculous 4 1/2 years.

You see, I will have to take care of the current visa to be extended and extended and extended again. That's quite a bit of money flying right out of the window every time. So yeah I might get back to you regarding that contact actually. It might even be cheaper and less work to do that instead of extending my visa time after time.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 6:46 AM, Chris Jay said:

Sorry about your loss of many things, most importantly your privacy. Crime and corruption will be the death of South Africa. I dont think the ANC should be given the power of the death penalty.

@Chris Jay hey bud, thanks for your reply. 

You hit the nail on the head with this comment,  I think the part that really hits a nerve is the privacy part, I feel like a rape victim, violated!

• 1 month later...

Morning Guys!

Wanted to update this thread.

So apparently there were 4 burglars that broke into our home.

One was caught by a community member! he happens to be 17 years old!

Shortly after his arrest he was released into the custody of his mum as he was regared as a minor!!!

2 of the 4 have since decided to stop their nonsense but the other 2 have continued.("Inside information")

Having said that a week or so ago, the 2 that decided to continue were out late "working" (I have been now told that they regard this as "work"), They came across a coloured male and decided to rob him, and in the process they stabbed him in the neck!

At the time they did not realise who it is that they stabbed, this guy is/was part of a gang called the 28s, as soon as the gang found out, they searched the area for the 2 robbers and managed to locate one, while the other has now fled our town. (According to "inside" sources.)

The one that was found is the 17 year old black male, the 28s tried to assault him,/kill him, who knows, but the police were called. They, the police I mean, apprehended the 17 year old and put him in the back of their bakkie but the gang members got into a quarrel with the police and one of them was also put into the back of the bakkie without been searched! He happened to have a knife on him and stabbed the 17 year old!!!! (NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).🥳  He was injured and taken to hospital....this is as much as I know for now.

I was called by the police to ask if I want to pursue any legal case against the 17 year old as he is still a minor, what a joke, so he was old enough to break in to my house and stab someone in the neck, but not old enough to take the punishment for his crimes???

BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY! And dont tell me about human rights, wheres my human rights when you rape and kill my wife in front of me and then kill me just for fun? Rape a grand mother, your own grand mother and rape your neighbours male kids? These are sick people and dont belong in society, please dont tell me that people are hungry and they doing what they neeed to, to survive. GO GET A JOB!  The worst part is that I must work, pay tax, the goverment takes my tax money and pays for the rapist and killer of my wife to have a nice life in priosn, you have a roof over your head, you have your meals sorted out,clothes are provided, you have TV, Lights and water etc etc etc. Hell you can even become a lawyer while you in prison and you cant be called a prisoner as that is a derogatory term, you must be called a client of the state??? Plus you have rights, so if you dont eat meat, I mean you are a vegetarian, then the state must provide veg dishes for you?? WTF??? Seriously? haibo and eish!

• Like 1

Some people do not want to work, they want an easy life.

So they sit at robots and beg for money or they turn to crime as its easier and less effort than finding a job and doing the work.

If you are that desperate, you will make a plan and find something - take any job you can find. I am sure he could work in someones garden, pay may not be great and it's a lot of effort but its a job... But no, its too difficult to they decide to take the easier route.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wulf said:

BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY! And dont tell me about human rights, wheres my human rights when you rape and kill my wife in front of me and then kill me just for fun? Rape a grand mother, your own grand mother and rape your neighbours male kids? These are sick people and dont belong in society, please dont tell me that people are hungry and they doing what they neeed to, to survive. GO GET A JOB!  The worst part is that I must work, pay tax, the goverment takes my tax money and pays for the rapist and killer of my wife to have a nice life in priosn, you have a roof over your head, you have your meals sorted out,clothes are provided, you have TV, Lights and water etc etc etc. Hell you can even become a lawyer while you in prison and you cant be called a prisoner as that is a derogatory term, you must be called a client of the state??? Plus you have rights, so if you dont eat meat, I mean you are a vegetarian, then the state must provide veg dishes for you?? WTF??? Seriously? haibo and eish!

Sorry for the repeat, I just had to! This makes me so crazy!

15 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Some people do not want to work, they want an easy life.

So they sit at robots and beg for money or they turn to crime as its easier and less effort than finding a job and doing the work.

If you are that desperate, you will make a plan and find something - take any job you can find. I am sure he could work in someones garden, pay may not be great and it's a lot of effort but its a job... But no, its too difficult to they decide to take the easier route.

@PsyCLown Dude my point exactly! Flip man, get a garden job and earn R200 for that day, suffer for one day, buy food for R50 and take the other R100 go buy tomatoes and sell it on a corner and make profit doing that and you on a roll now because you now started your own business, plus you have R50 left over from the day before so food is sorted....something along these lines...I mean you get my point....people want goverment grants and instant gratification! no more hard work....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wulf said:

you cant be called a prisoner as that is a derogatory term, you must be called a client of the state

They can go F themselves. They should be called what they are, rapist, murderer, thief, low life. They should be reminded of that every day. "Prisoner" is too soft of a term, and already seems pretty PC to me. 

Funny thing is that is many prisoners or thieves are in fact clients of the state literally, or rather "Friends of the state". So that term does hold some water 😐

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. In this country we have to accept it right now, that very often justice will not prevail, and if we can accept that then we'll deal with the lack of it better. Otherwise we'll just go nuts.

• Agree 1

Hi Wulf, I am sorry you need to go through that. I think crime will increase sharply in not too distant future. Everything gets more expensive, more people are unemployed. The poor population increases and they get even less for their little bit of money. Of course that doesn't justify hurting other people or just take things that aren't their's. But do you really want to allow the death penalty as a tool for the authoroties in South Africa? The same authoroties that are a big part of the actual problem? I am sure it will be missused and many innocent people will die. That guy has been sorted out even without the death penalty right?

I believe in a "what goes around, comes around" kind of thing. Put negative things out there and it will come back to you in some kind of way, sooner or later. The same goes for doing good things.

Again, I totally see why you say what you say. I would be outraged too.

I think it's not just lazy to break into other peoples houses and rob them off their hard earned belongings, I think it's just sick what people can do to other people and still be able to live with what they have done.

I too believe many people do not contribute to society, are a waste of space and should vanish. Especially the ones with the "hand--out mentality".

• Like 1