Who is Totemic?

Totemic

This last year or two has been challenging and interesting. I have been the topic of both good and bad conversations. Realizing that it is because people generally don't know who I am, is why it has been such a multi polar experience.

I started growing 10 years ago, fumbled around with bags seeds for a year or two, before gaining access to other imported genetics. What started me on my breeding journey was when I was given the Chocolope seeds from DNA genetics by another well known growmie back in 2013, who has undoubtedly touched all your lives in some way or another. I have since bred a few strains over the years, and established a rythem within the micro-breeding sector.

The state of Cannabis back then was still rough, and most of my work had to be low key, and there are a few of the OG's on here that have been following what I have been doing. Even now I keep a lot of what I do low key, and within the reasonable limits that prevail.

I am a father to two teenage boys, husband to a beautiful wife, and earn my living in the property maintenance sector. Cannabis is my passion though, and where all the extra time in my life pours into, and over the last 2 years I have been gravitating toward a full-time commitment. Sharing this through my seeds, my activism, is part of my drive to free the plant.

Doing this has inadvertently thrust me into the public. A place I'm not yet used to or comfortable in as I'm generally a private person. However, I thought it a good place to treat this thread as a Q&A about my breeding. Here are a few that have have already recently popped up:

Q: Where do you get your seeds?

A: I do all my own pollination, and produce my own seeds. The plants I breed with are selected cuts from the original breeders seed stock and my own seed stock.

Q: How do you manage to pheno hunt with so few plants?

A: My pheno hunting spans across many growers tents, gardens and farm spaces, besides my own space.

Q: Do you sell other peoples work/gear and pass it off as your own?

A: No. I see myself as an ethical breeder. I am transparent about the genetics I work with, and credit the original breeder and their work.

Q: Do you have any autos?

A: No. Although there is a demand for them, to protect the photoperiod genetics I work with, I will not be working with autos at all into the foreseeable future. EDIT: I have since this actually started working on a few autoflower crosses, since making major changes to my setup. 

Q: Why are your prices so low?

A: We are at an automatic disadvantage with our poor exchange rate when importing seeds. This makes it inaccessible to many more than you think. Part of my mission is to make good quality genetics available at prices everyone can afford. 

So, what do you want to know?

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

What is your aim when you create new seeds / strains? What is it that you like to look for in a plants when breeding them and deciding what is a keeper and what is not?

When do you determine that it is time to change things up a bit and add some new strains into your mix of breeding material? I recall you recently started some breeding with Slurricane for example.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

What is your aim when you create new seeds / strains? 

My primary aim has always been to preserve the genetics. Creating new strains is experimental to me. Giving the genome space to evolve in a controlled environment while I watch and learn.

15 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

What is it that you like to look for in a plants when breeding them and deciding what is a keeper and what is not?

There are many things I take into consideration. THC is strangely not one of them since most of the strains I Work with all fall within the same THC range, and dont really vary from it. Most of the female phenos I select either from my own stock or from the clones I receive, are the standout plants of that run. I decide on the keepers based on the outcome quality of the offspring. 

I do spend more time selecting my males as opposed to females. 

27 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

When do you determine that it is time to change things up a bit and add some new strains into your mix of breeding material? I recall you recently started some breeding with Slurricane for example.

For every years grows I plan and collect various genetics. And every year I select 4 or 5 new lines and cross in some of my older crosses. I also focus on finding one pollen donor for that run so males get thinned until one remains. For 2019, my focus was on my bubbleberry line for the pollen. This year it has been the choc gelato line(my standout line from 2018), and next year is still in planning. Generally the best performer from those runs are my keepers that I'll work on again in future. My 2019 Bubbleberry Glue is my keeper from that year for example. The next few months will tell what the 2020 keeper will be.

Looking at Slurricane specifically, it has been a standout strain this year. It is also being bred by a micro breeder that is constantly changing his gear up. So they are kind of limited edition. It fits into my mission of preserving the genetics as those seeds will soon not be available. 

• Like 7

• 420SA pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

What an interesting few months it has been. The culmination of 1 year of pushing totemic as an official brand in SA, I have distributed a little over 45 000 seeds, 15 000 regulars and 30 000 feminized seeds. I feel it is important for me to share this with other local breeders not at all to flex as some are assuming, but to illustrate how big the local industry is, how big the need is, and how much of our economy is still flowing out to the international market. I feel I'm drowning and can't keep up with the market! 

I'm not here to compete with other local breeders. Breed your fire. Let's grow this industry together. 

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

What an interesting few months it has been. The culmination of 1 year of pushing totemic as an official brand in SA, I have distributed a little over 45 000 seeds, 15 000 regulars and 30 000 feminized seeds. I feel it is important for me to share this with other local breeders not at all to flex as some are assuming, but to illustrate how big the local industry is, how big the need is, and how much of our economy is still flowing out to the international market. I feel I'm drowning and can't keep up with the market! 
I'm not here to compete with other local breeders. Breed your fire. Let's grow this industry together. 
This is awesome news to read and many congratulations. I went to a nursery the other day which was recommended by@Stinger96 , just went to browse and see what they stock.

Apart from the wonderful guy and lady that owns / works at the place, the abundance of amendments and nutrients etc I also saw a cabinet with your seeds in which could be bought right there and then. Was really refreshing to see.

Keep up the good work and thanks for always sharing your knowledge.
  • Like 5

how did I miss this thread!!

very very usefull and motivating information here!!! mr Psyclown hit the nail on the head with the question I wanted to ask, but also have already gotten my answer on another thread! 

just wana give a credit here, a close friend of mine grew a chocolope cut he got from a guy a while back. he said the name was chocolope something something. not a serious grower so wouldn't expect of him to know the name and this was before I was on the forum and neither of us knew where the local genetics came from neither did we take any of this serious. joining the forum it didn't take me long to figure out, that had to be some of mr. Totemics work! 

So even people who aren't aware of who  Totemic really is are already growing your stuff and you are making strong impressions and firmly embedding your roots deep in the community and got supporters spreading good words I am sure you don't know of! 

my hat goes off to you sir. @Totemic

4 hours ago, SAgrower said:

I also saw a cabinet with your seeds in which could be bought right there and then.

this is epic! what shop is this?

• Like 1

how did I miss this thread!!
very very usefull and motivating information here!!! mr Psyclown hit the nail on the head with the question I wanted to ask, but also have already gotten my answer on another thread! 
just wana give a credit here, a close friend of mine grew a chocolope cut he got from a guy a while back. he said the name was chocolope something something. not a serious grower so wouldn't expect of him to know the name and this was before I was on the forum and neither of us knew where the local genetics came from neither did we take any of this serious. joining the forum it didn't take me long to figure out, that had to be some of mr. Totemics work! 
So even people who aren't aware of who  Totemic really is are already growing your stuff and you are making strong impressions and firmly embedding your roots deep in the community and got supporters spreading good words I am sure you don't know of! 
my hat goes off to you sir. @Totemic
this is epic! what shop is this?
Interlude Hydro

• 11 months later...

It's a bitter sweet ending, and standing at that cross roads having to decide which direction is going to best serve the next decade of my life... 
Totemic was really never meant to become a brand, but kind of gravitated that way.

It's always been about actively opposing those laws that would criminalize me for growing, breeding, and sharing that with the community. 

My genetics is out there in practically every corner of the country, serving their purpose beautifully, and will echo in other strains they inspire. 

It really has been an awesome journey, and while I move onto other things, I'll always be growing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Totemic said:

It's a bitter sweet ending, and standing at that cross roads having to decide which direction is going to best serve the next decade of my life... 
Totemic was really never meant to become a brand, but kind of gravitated that way.

It's always been about actively opposing those laws that would criminalize me for growing, breeding, and sharing that with the community. 

My genetics is out there in practically every corner of the country, serving their purpose beautifully, and will echo in other strains they inspire. 

It really has been an awesome journey, and while I move onto other things, I'll always be growing. 

May your new chapter be blessed man. And thanx for sharing the love. 💪

• Like 3

Good luck with the future ventures bud.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Totemic said:

Blessings and salutations sir. Please do let us know of any endeavors you might have in future so that we may continue to support you in any way we can. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Totemic said:

All the best bru, lucky we all know you personally and will surely still be able to get some of those awesome genetics, what ever the future holds, it must include your strains I hope! 

this doesn’t necessary mean you are stopping what you are doing with breeding? If you are closing the store.l? I dono, I’m making assumptions.  

• Like 3

When they said, all these bad things happening in the world, it couldn't get worse...

Well, it got worse😥😥😥

Very sad to not have given your goods the run that I wanted to, and feel that I'm the one whose missed out. Yes I could find seeds, but would I pop them, knowing they essentially the last, probably not. 

That Grape Gorilla, evaded me, the seed, then the clone, and will always be in my memory for this, and that smell of Chappies Grape gum in the long stick, epic🤤

Please stay in contact and best for your new adventure 

• Like 1