Questions about taking a domestic flight with cannabis

Good day 420sa community.  A few friends and I are taking a domestic flight for the holidays in December. We’d like to take some cannabis with us but we’ve never flown with it before. I understand that it is currently legal to take a small amount of cannabis with you on a domestic flight but I’m still somewhat anxious to do so. If anyone has any experience flying domestically with cannabis I’d like to hear about what the experience was like and if there were any complications.

I also have a number of other questions that I’d like help with:

1. Should we keep it in checked luggage or carry on?

2. How should we package it?

3. If we do get stopped by the cops what should we do?

4. How much is too much?

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have never heard of someone being allowed to take some cannabis with them on a plane.

Imagine everyone on the plane taking just a single gram of bud with them, that entire plane is going to be stanky!

I personally would try take cannabis with on a plane, perhaps someone else with more knowledge can comment.

I know the couriers are stopping and confiscating parcels which contain cannabis, does not make sense that they'd do that but you'd be allowed to take with you on a plane. If it was edibles, you could possibly get away with it, but it would be at your own risk, with bud I do not think so.

You are allowed to fly with it. It's on your private person and as the law allows you to carry a certain amount with you at any time, for personal use, the same applies to when you are flying domestically. 

I did it not too long ago. I think I had about 10g's in my backpack which went through the scanner at security. No issues. Was quite funny, after landing someone opened up the above head stow away compartment with my backpack in and the area immediately stank up

You may get the odd ignorant security staff member who thinks otherwise but quickly educate them and take the matter further if necessary.

I would definitely keep it in your carry on luggage or in your pocket. If they confiscate for whatever reason when finding it in your checked in luggage, you have no chance of arguing it.

More info 👇

https://zootly.co.za/flying-with-weed-what-you-need-to-know/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 420SA said:

You are allowed to fly with it. It's on your private person and as the law allows you to carry a certain amount with you at any time, for personal use, the same applies to when you are flying domestically. 

I did it not too long ago. I think I had about 10g's in my backpack which went through the scanner at security. No issues. 

You may get the odd ignorant security staff member who thinks otherwise but quickly educate them and take the matter further if necessary.

More info 👇

https://zootly.co.za/flying-with-weed-what-you-need-to-know/

Shot alot for this article @420SA.

Is it on any official documents? Or government websites?

2 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Shot alot for this article @420SA.

Is it on any official documents? Or government websites?

I don't think there is a need for them to state specifically about flight travel. Unless that has been done already. What's on your private person is exactly that, private. It falls in the same bracket as taking cigarettes or booze on board.

Also, it's just another mode of transport... if you're allowed to get into a taxi with it then why not a plane...

• Agree 2

So to summarise and cover each question:

1. Should we keep it in checked luggage or carry on? Carry On

2. How should we package it? Small jar to keep the smell at bay. Not that it's a major concern. Bank bag will do fine too.

3. If we do get stopped by the cops what should we do?  Tell them you have rights. Remind them of the law they should be aware of

4. How much is too much? I wouldn't push with more than 10g's but you should be allowed to travel with more

I've been flying locally with bud for more than 10 years, and never had an issue. My brother had a 1 hitter hitter on the apron while walking to the back of the plane to board. just put it in a Ziploc, and put that into another Ziploc, carry on your person. It's quite nerve wracking stuff so, Stay cool, be calm!