Thirps 4/5 weeks into flowering

Nope

Ez 420SA growers,

As per the title, I've discovered mother f***ing thrip damage on a few of the larger fan leafs in my tent. I am 4/5 weeks into flower and things are looking tasty apart from these little suckers(lol!) ruining my morning.

Can i spray this deep into the flowering period? I was thinking that a weekly spray of Pyrol may be of help? or should i just let them run a mock in the tent? I predict i have another 4 weeks to go for this run.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

• Like 1

You're quite deep into flower now and I wouldn't really advise spraying pyrol now... problem is you still have a few weeks to go. 

That leaves you with few options right now. You can try control it manually by removing/wiping by hand. Quite tricky with thrips as they move around quite quickly. 

Another drastic but effective measure is purging your tent with CO2 but this is a tricky procedure and needs to be done with caution as you could kill yourself.

I'm currently renting out a co2 bottle for homebrew beer. I rent from MyGas who sells 10L of co2 for just over R300. They then charge you R4-00 a day for the bottle rental. No deposit needed.... As I say its a drastic measure but it should work. Will give your plants a little boost in the process as well

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 420SA said:

You're quite deep into flower now and I wouldn't really advise spraying pyrol now... problem is you still have a few weeks to go. 

That leaves you with few options right now. You can try control it manually by removing/wiping by hand. Quite tricky with thrips as they move around quite quickly. 

Another drastic but effective measure is purging your tent with CO2 but this is a tricky procedure and needs to be done with caution as you could kill yourself.

I'm currently renting out a co2 bottle for homebrew beer. I rent from MyGas who sells 10L of co2 for just over R300. They then charge you R4-00 a day for the bottle rental. No deposit needed.... As I say its a drastic measure but it should work. Will give your plants a little boost in the process as well

DUDE!!!! My Gas head office is less than 100m form our warehouse! Thank you for the tip. I'm going to contact them now!

Does the CO2 kill them off, while boost.

THANK YOU!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heteropyxis said:

DUDE!!!! My Gas head office is less than 100m form our warehouse! Thank you for the tip. I'm going to contact them now!

Does the CO2 kill them off, while boost.

THANK YOU!

It's a sign from the gods! :-bow

So basically you need to purge the tent of as much oxygen as you can and have co2 displace it. Once you think you've displaced with co2 you'll need to seal up the tent and let it sit for an hour or 2. With just co2 in the tent the bugs will asphyxiate and die. That's where the dangerous part comes in for you though. You need to make sure that you don't inhale too much co2 yourself in the process. If you pass out with a bunch of co2 in the air and a tank still releasing co2, it's tickets :-flyinghi

Strongly advise you don't do it alone and plan it out carefully. 

How big is your tent?

EDIT: you may need a regulator to attach to the bottle. See if mygas can rent one out to you as well

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 420SA said:

It's a sign from the gods! :-bow

So basically you need to purge the tent of as much oxygen as you can and have co2 displace it. Once you think you've displaced with co2 you'll need to seal up the tent and let it sit for an hour or 2. With just co2 in the tent the bugs will asphyxiate and die. That's where the dangerous part comes in for you though. You need to make sure that you don't inhale too much co2 yourself in the process. If you pass out with a bunch of co2 in the air and a tank still releasing co2, it's tickets :-flyinghiS

Strongly advise you don't do it alone and plan it out carefully. 

How big is your tent?

Small grow,  Mammoth Pro 100, 1m² floor space 2m³ total. Seal up the inlet and exhaust and let the CO2 fill up the tent, can i leave the circulation fans run while this happens?  I'll be sure my master(partner) keeps a watchful eye over the proceedings.

• Like 1

depending how bad the damage is, i would ride it out.

pyrol will leave a funny taste on the maturing buds. i spray pyrol in the 3rd week of flower and that takes care of any populations that could cause kak.

the CO2 would need to be crazy high to kill the thrips via asphyxiation . but it will definitely make them not want to hang around and likely try leave the area, so you would need to keep it going the whole time in order for it to be effective as a pest deterrent.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CreX said:

depending how bad the damage is, i would ride it out.

pyrol will leave a funny taste on the maturing buds. i spray pyrol in the 3rd week of flower and that takes care of any populations that could cause kak.

the CO2 would need to be crazy high to kill the thrips via asphyxiation . but it will definitely make them not want to hang around and likely try leave the area, so you would need to keep it going the whole time in order for it to be effective as a pest deterrent.

When you say the whole time, do you mean for the next few weeks of flowering?

The damage is minimal, and i don't think it is at the stage where it will affect the plants performance to badly. The bigger leaves have the characteristic white spots where they have been punctured but that's about it, nothing to wild. Nothing dying off yet, maybe the plants will make the next 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

Bit of a tricky one, I have sprayed Pyrol in flower before and then I bud wash come harvest time. Pyrol works wonders for getting rid of thrips.

Alternatively, although its a lengthy process and may not be ideal not ... maybe for future reference though, you get a fungus which will grow on pests and kill them. That can be used during flower without issues I believe, it is called Beauveria bassiana and Argo Organics sell it under the name Bio-Insek.

A few other places sell it as well.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Bit of a tricky one, I have sprayed Pyrol in flower before and then I bud wash come harvest time. Pyrol works wonders for getting rid of thrips.

Alternatively, although its a lengthy process and may not be ideal not ... maybe for future reference though, you get a fungus which will grow on pests and kill them. That can be used during flower without issues I believe, it is called Beauveria bassiana and Argo Organics sell it under the name Bio-Insek.

A few other places sell it as well.

Thank you! Always willing to share!

@Heteropyxis i see you have some sort of fix for this in mind currently.

i will still say stick to leaving them as is for now...and focus on your veg area and get rid of them there.

then harvest and clean your tent well and then going forward you should have little to no issues with thrips anymore

rather not taint your current harvest if the thrips arent that hectic

you can use almost anything and everything in veg. but flower time is especially sacred

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CreX said:

@Heteropyxis i see you have some sort of fix for this in mind currently.

i will still say stick to leaving them as is for now...and focus on your veg area and get rid of them there.

then harvest and clean your tent well and then going forward you should have little to no issues with thrips anymore

rather not taint your current harvest if the thrips arent that hectic

you can use almost anything and everything in veg. but flower time is especially sacred

Thanks for your input @CreX. Not applying anything to these plants at this stage. Just going to ride it out. 

• Like 1