Advice on a dehumidifier.

CoolJ

sjoe... tough one man... 

a 1.2x1.2 tent isnt exactly large large, and you would be sacrificing a large amount of space to accommodate the dehumidifier.

why not beef up your extraction and intake?

what is your Rh outside the tent? If it is higher than you want it to be, and you are bringing new air into the tent constantly... you will battle to lower the RH even with a dehumidifier.

• Like 1

I always dunk on humidifier/dehumidifiers. The efficiency is jutt, and when it rains your humidity will spike anyways. 

A better question to ask would be for what reason do you want to lower the RH? Is it because a grow guide sold you some perimeters? Or are you actively battling against the consequences of an unhealthy plant, high humidity and exposure to PM/mold? 

I've flowered at over 60% with zero issues. In fact, it was one of the best harvests I've had yet. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Prom said:

The tent gets the climate from the room.. put the dehumidifier in the room.. not the tent. And cook your climate outside.. you have way more space.. your tent is for growing ^^

I agree with this, especially if one has more than a single tent.

However depending on where the tent is, this may not be a suitable solution - such as if its in a large open area.

In which case you may need to make a plan to sacrifice space in the tent.

With all of that being said, a dehumidifier might be nice but very seldom is it really needed. I'd rather keep my temps lower during flower in summer heatwaves than keep my RH low... if I had to pick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the tips guys. 

My tent is in an outside room that doesn't have proper insolation so putting it in the room will make it work harder I think. 

I'm willing to sacrifice some space in the tent. I've been having some PM issues and got it abit in control. 

My humidity during flower is hitting  60% - 70% and when my lights go off it goes up till 80% in the morning so looking to bring it down abit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolJ said:

Thanks for the tips guys. 

My tent is in an outside room that doesn't have proper insolation so putting it in the room will make it work harder I think. 

I'm willing to sacrifice some space in the tent. I've been having some PM issues and got it abit in control. 

My humidity during flower is hitting  60% - 70% and when my lights go off it goes up till 80% in the morning so looking to bring it down abit. 

You are gonna you need to drop that RH. 

How badly insulated is that room as it may still be more effective than sitting a dehumidifier in a tent with constant ventilation. If you are gonna sit the DH in your tent you need to cycle the ventilation on and off, like on for 30 mins and then off for 30 mins. Or even every 15 mins. Can be complicated as it's a small space with air that constantly gets exchanged, making it very hard for a DH to be effective.

If the air sits relatively still in that outside room then I would still say sit the DH in the room and not the tent. Cycling the extraction fan can work though if you can dial it in right.

There's someone selling their used DH here. I'm no expert on dehumidifiers though. I think the strength of the DH will depend on where you ultimately place it and how you dial in your ventilation.

Have you maybe considered a portable aircon instead? They're the same price and can do dehumidification. Plus it'll help you out if things get too hot or cold as well. You may also be able to channel the AC's output vent to run into the tent via ducting and use an extraction fan to exhaust the tent. Not sure if the same can be done with a DH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 420SA said:

You are gonna you need to drop that RH. 

How badly insulated is that room as it may still be more effective than sitting a dehumidifier in a tent with constant ventilation. If you are gonna sit the DH in your tent you need to cycle the ventilation on and off, like on for 30 mins and then off for 30 mins. Or even every 15 mins. Can be complicated as it's a small space with air that constantly gets exchanged, making it very hard for a DH to be effective.

If the air sits relatively still in that outside room then I would still say sit the DH in the room and not the tent. Cycling the extraction fan can work though if you can dial it in right.

There's someone selling their used DH here. I'm no expert on dehumidifiers though. I think the strength of the DH will depend on where you ultimately place it and how you dial in your ventilation.

Have you maybe considered a portable aircon instead? They're the same price and can do dehumidification. Plus it'll help you out if things get too hot or cold as well. You may also be able to channel the AC's output vent to run into the tent via ducting and use an extraction fan to exhaust the tent. Not sure if the same can be done with a DH

Thanks for the advice. 

The room has a cement floor and mental roof(sligh gaps between the roof) , not much air movement in the room so I will try the Dehumidifier in the room as well. 

I've looked at an portable AC but it chows electricity (probably will be my next step when things are financially better) 

I have a lot to consider now with all this information. 

I saw that advertisement but I'm in the Cape so will look for something here thanks. 

• Like 1

Great topic. Been wondering about this too as we have also had high RH this week (Jozi). But makes sense what you all say re air exchange.

My tent is in a garage and I pull and vent air from the outside mainly. Sometimes from the garage (if I keep the flap on the side open). So it is largely weather dependent. Air exchange is either constant or on a 15min on/off cycle. So to dehu. that air and then vent it outside is a 'waste'.

What does everyone else do in these summer months?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Live Canna said:

What does everyone else do in these summer months?

Time my grow to be in vegetative stage 😛

December should be interesting though in terms of heat, although I'll only be halfway through flower over New Years and full in flower through January, which can sometimes be hotter than December 😆

The room I grow in used to be a guest room so there's an AC on standby in case of emergency. Haven't needed to use it yet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Meaco dehumidifier and it’s been running 24/7 for months, it sucks an incredible amount of moisture out of the grow room or drying room. I’ve attached a hose pipe to it’s outlet which runs to a 20l drum which I have to empty every 3 to 4 days!
Probably the next biggest cost next to lights but so worth it.
Anyway I tried to run it inside my 5x5 tent during my last grow and it didn’t work. Besides the space it took up, it also heats the air it expels, probably 2 or 3 degrees warmer than ambient.
So it ended up super heating my tent so I moved it back out into the room and it worked perfectly. It also made the room a more pleasant, stable space to operate in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1