When to Harvest

Rob189

4 minutes ago, Prom said:

No insomnia issues with a 50/50 harvest 😬 but if you want to have a productive day.. wrong selection 😂 

LOL you open the jar of that and your couch sommer fluffs up and grows seatbelts hahaha i would be locked for days on that couch hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now how does sativa/indica strains come into play? 

From all that ive heard on sativa/indicas, the it doesnt sound like it means much. It all depends on when you harvest??

I have wondered this myself before after learning the above.
I'm sure having the right strain for the situation exacerbates the effects like...
A late harvested indica becomes even more sleepy like.
I dunno...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rob189 said:

From all that ive heard on sativa/indicas, the it doesnt sound like it means much. It all depends on when you harvest??

sort of.. it is a very fine line and a bit of guess work.

Sativas are known for a racy high, uplifting, energetic. and Indicas are known for a more mellow high and high euphoric feelings.

now imagine you have a baseline where sativas are as above and indicas are as above. 

that would likely mean that you have harvested with maximum cloudy trichomes, and few amber and few clear for each plant respectively.

Nooooow, you have a sativa, and its flowering, and you harvest early when the trichomes are just starting to go cloudy . This will result in a very light smoke, not too much of anything really and in my opinion is just to early for any recreational or medicinal use.

Same sativa, and you leave it to go all the way till 50% amber, and you are looking for a speedy high, but also don't sit down if you plan on being productive. so it is quite a tailored smoke that, and I'm not sure if it ticks all the boxes for a full blown sativa high.

okay so for the Indica, same story if you harvest early... it just leaves you wanting more, minimal euphoria, minimal couch lock, minimal pain relief, minimal anything.

and then on the flip side if you leave her late, the smoke becomes almost debilitating and you will be left being a shell of a human... which is great for bedtime... but not before an important meeting haha

i hope tat clears things up a bit.

i look for different things now in a sativa vs Indica plant. i like my sativas to display full-bodied sativa flavours and highs, but with the growth structure of an Indica, so that i can grow it inside in a tent.

I have grown one plant before that grew very Indica like... but the high was the craziest sativa high i have never again experienced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rob189 said:

They are still there.. smokers know 2 (sativa/indica) and growers know 3 (sativa/indica/ruderalis)

The ruderalis is just a timer, if we look at it in a simple way. Taking the photo sensitivity out, brings other advantages.. but autos have one big disadvantage.. you can't pheno hunt them over clones.

The sativa high is still the sweet sexy uplifting high you can only get from a sativa. And nothing can couch you like a indica 😁 but over all, yes, the old rules got changed to what science found out. When you come to my smoking cabinet.. right now I have 18 different jars with 15 different strains, 3 outdoor, rest indoor. Some very little and some quite big jars ^^ I pick and smoke depending how I feel or want to feel. Before lunch time, you will never really see me running around with a late harvest indica, or I plan to go back to bed. The Royal Gorilla is my preferred day smoke beside the early Blue Cheese and Early Blueberry Kush at the moment.. or what the jars provide 😁 Afternoon to evening I prefer a not as potent but going relaxing smoke. Late Blue Cheese, Candy Kush. Evening after dinner, Gelato, my Nr1 right now. And when I want to couch or have issues to get asleep.. late Bubblelicious, a passion fruit knockout. Others just got in the cabinet and need curing time, the early Somango and late Critical just going into the cabinet (trade with a friend.. what I can recommend to stock up your selection ^^ 100g swaps). The longest cured weed inside the cabinet is now 8 months in the jar and just this change of taste is hard to believe. A Amnesia Haze.. mouth watering. 

Harvest is one thing.. curing the other. But there is one main rule.. bad weed doesn't become a good weed with curing. But good weed gets better with curing. ☺️ You boarded the train to a life long learning and each year new tastes.. will keep you busy and happy to keep up with all the new stuff each year.. growing is never boring 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rob189 said:

I appreciate all the input 🙌🏻 

Now what type of sorcery do you guys use to view them trichomes? 

I use a USB microscope, just a cheapy one but it gets the job done and for me it's far easier than trying to use a loupe.

The below picture was taken with this microscope.

190908_194507.jpg.64a99e1f360a2bb3ff3334e2ac41092a.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

DSLR camera then magnify on the computer. Sometimes I get lucky with a phone pic, but less so now that my phone is packing up. 

^^ Is also my way to check em fast. Macro pic with my Nikon and zoom in on the computer and check in peace with a smoke for the good things to come 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

im more of a now generation in this regard.

taking pics and then going to a separate device to look at them... not for me 😛 

i have always liked those little microscopes most places sell. 

but recently moved over to the same one @Psyclown uses. 1600x magnification is never wrong 😄😄 

4 minutes ago, CreX said:

This one is supposedly 1000x not sure how much of a difference it actually makes compared to the 1600x version.

• Like 1

Just now, PsyCLown said:

This one is supposedly 1000x not sure how much of a difference it actually makes compared to the 1600x version.

mmmm im sure mine said 1600 on the box or on the microscope itself.

1000x is still excellent and you wont be able to guess incorrectly haha

funny enough, the max zoom is actually too much to get a good enough picture.

you see the trichomes super close up! but like in @PsyCLown pic, you only get a few in the scene to look at, which makes me end up looking at many many other places.

i stick to the 300x zoom i think it is... where i can see like 50 trichomes at a time and be able to get a better guestimate on when to harvest 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CreX said:

mmmm im sure mine said 1600 on the box or on the microscope itself.

1000x is still excellent and you wont be able to guess incorrectly haha

funny enough, the max zoom is actually too much to get a good enough picture.

you see the trichomes super close up! but like in @PsyCLown pic, you only get a few in the scene to look at, which makes me end up looking at many many other places.

i stick to the 300x zoom i think it is... where i can see like 50 trichomes at a time and be able to get a better guestimate on when to harvest 

Good stratergy. Aint no body got time to be checking tiny amount at a time. Especially u guys who grow massive plants and multiple plants.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, afternoon blazer said:

Good stratergy. Aint no body got time to be checking tiny amount at a time. Especially u guys who grow massive plants and multiple plants.

the zoom is adjustable via a thumb roller, so you can adjust on the fly.

other microscopes iv tried arent as easy to adjust without lifting the microscope off the bud

• Like 1