Tobacco

Stinger96

Yeah, get them in the ground. Full sun. Very little to no nutrients. Water often, daily or every second day depending. Basically keep soil moist. 

If you want seeds then let the flowers grow until the seed stalks dry out. But if it's for the leaf, then you need to pluck off the developing flower stalks on the sides and top. Removing flowers will give you massive leaves. Leaving the flowers to develop the leaves are way smaller.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Very nice @Stinger96, do u know what strain they are, virginia or burley?

@Totemic is spot on with the conditions they need.

When tobacco is cured it can also be slightly roasted, or soaked in Rum, then dried and roasted slightly.

First time i just used the dried leaves until somebody gave me some pointers about roasting leaves slightly.

Soaked in some Alchohol and its possible to make homemade blunt wraps, trick is to let em dry out a bit but not all the way after soaking.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Dank said:

Very nice @Stinger96, do u know what strain they are, virginia or burley?

@Totemic is spot on with the conditions they need.

When tobacco is cured it can also be slightly roasted, or soaked in Rum, then dried and roasted slightly.

First time i just used the dried leaves until somebody gave me some pointers about roasting leaves slightly.

Soaked in some Alchohol and its possible to make homemade blunt wraps, trick is to let em dry out a bit but not all the way after soaking.

I was told it is Verginia.. How would I know though?

• Like 1

• Ill_Evan changed the title to Tobacco
16 hours ago, Stinger96 said:

I was told it is Verginia.. How would I know though?

Lekker man, you will be able to tell from the smoke when its dried and a bit cured.

Virginia is your milder tobacco, the ones i grew almost taste like a cigar (possibly a burley variety) , Virginia should taste less cigar like and more a rolling tobacco.

(Does depend a bit on cure, light toasting, etc)

Edited by Dank
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dank said:

Lekker man, you will be able to tell from the smoke when its dried and a bit cured.

Virginia is your milder tobacco, the ones i grew almost taste like a cigar (possibly a burley variety) , Virginia should taste less cigar like and more a rolling tobacco.

(Does depend a bit on cure, light toasting, etc)

I have found with my Virginia that the lower bigger leaves have a higher sugar and lower nicotine content when I harvest them yellow. Very much cigarette tobacco. The smaller top leaves are usually still quite a bit greener, and cure to that cigar taste without any roasting, just a dry and bag cure.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Super topic. Also have some lockdown tobacco plants in my garden growing nicely. Easy plants to maintain and grow rapidly. I flippen bought 4 kilos of dried tobacco leaves about 5 days before the end of lockdown, drats. But always in need of mix! @Totemic you seem to know alot about tobacco. I am interested to know more about the processing of the leaves for commercial cigarettes. What is the point of dehydrating the leaves and rehydrating leaves before it is cut into something that you can roll? What suggestions do you have for home toasting your leaves?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris Jay said:

Super topic. Also have some lockdown tobacco plants in my garden growing nicely. Easy plants to maintain and grow rapidly. I flippen bought 4 kilos of dried tobacco leaves about 5 days before the end of lockdown, drats. But always in need of mix! @Totemic you seem to know alot about tobacco. I am interested to know more about the processing of the leaves for commercial cigarettes. What is the point of dehydrating the leaves and rehydrating leaves before it is cut into something that you can roll? What suggestions do you have for home toasting your leaves?

Can't help you with commercial preparations. The leaves are pretty brittle when dried though, and turn to dust easy. Perhaps re moistening helps make the leaves a bit more leathery and workable again. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3

Keep the seeds... I think...😶 Have no idea if pollination is important here... haven't read up on it yet.. Been having a hectic two weeks.. and will be having a few more hectic days.. but I assume pollination is needed and whala.. I have some more to plant and grow....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Totemic said:

They self pollinate. Each individual flower bulb will house about 500 seeds. 

Holy shit, 500 seeds per bulb, germination rate must be low though otherwise we'd see tobacco growing everywhere, no?

Edited by Psylecta
  • Like 1