Powdery Mildew and U

Prom

i never had issues with PM before, but since i grow in the Cape region indoor, Serenade saved my ass till now.

The main issue is, if you have it, something in your system is wrong! HEPA filters will help, but at the end the solution is more simple in my opinion. My life got a lot easier, as soon as i increased the tent ventilation a lot. Opening the tent and walk inside will bring spores with, if you like it or not. If they hit the wrong climate, nothing will happen. In general, your enemy is the dark time. The drop in temp will lead to a release of moisture. Warmer air can hold more water. Temp drops, water gets released. If you shut down the light, you must increase ventilation or switch on a wall plug heater to compensate. Keep it between 50 to 60% Max humidity and you will never see the white spots again. PM hates fresh air... vent that tent!

As good as copper soap keeps it at bay, you cant use it during flower... strict no go! Serenade Graden Disease Control is your best shot, leaves zero taste on the smoke, if used while your plants are green, dont use it on dry buds! If you have a nasty PM issue, spray several times a day to a run off and let them dry down in between. 2 days and your plants are squeaky clean. Hang to dry.

Cheap version to wash would be a simple bicarb of soda (every supermarket has it) wash. 2g per liter water and a pure water rinse. If it is in your buds... only serenade will clean it, hard to wash the inside. Get it wet, the bacterias will eat, your job is to get it wet. i never did a serenade wash.. the stuff costs 😂 but spray works just fine. Dont worry, open those buds. Only option is the compost heap, you dont want to inhale fungi.

Hope it helped sonebody with the issue.. first.. dont look for serenade (import only so far), increase the air flow in and out of your tent! Helps a lot already, then go from there..

• Like 3

This is the info people out there need, thanks for sharing. 

I agree the spores are everywhere. You just need to create the right environment for PM to thrive and it WILL thrive. I believe it also has something to do with your plants ability to fight it of (not saying your plants aren't strong prom ;)). 

The person who imports Serenade in bulk could make quite some money selling it here on the market.

I’m wondering could you, could you spray with the bicarb weekly as a preventative in early stages of flowering ? I spray weekly with neem oil to keep pest at bay , but wondering if I could take a similar approach to combat PM until I can get the correct resources to have the correct environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it didnt reach your buds, your can spray. Best is if you swap between bicarb of soda and apple vinegar, helps also to keep your ph in range, soil wise. The PM doesnt like the swing... i still wouldnt recommend during flower, just final taste wise. You get sorted during veg and keep your humidity under control or taste will suffer.. general it swings to bitter with the stuff you left behind on and in the buds. 

The bicarb is to wash your weed.. emergency solution.. and only works to a certain degree.

I also want to add, beside me, there are 8, very posh smokers, confirming, no side taste at all from serenade treated plants. Just works..

1 hour ago, Fridgedoor said:

Wouldn't it be great if we as a collective of growers order and import a load of Serenade? Maybe problematic logistically but I would be in.

Not difficult to do.

The difficult part seems to be finding someplace which actually has stock of it. Has it been pulled? Has production of it been stopped or WTF. Like every place I have found on a quick google search is out of stock.

eBay has for like $78 when the normal price was around $15 - $17 so hiked up really high it seems.

The bacillus strain bacteria is effective at fending off PM 

how effective each strain is compared to that of another bacillus strain, well thats another set of trials in its own but Bacillus amyloliquefaciens is pretty good I think. Can be used thoroughly 

There are trials available for controlled testing on their page. Can definitely agree with its effectiveness 

https://vuna-agri-shop.com/amylo-x/

Same as Disease-Pro 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prom said:

That is the stuff 😁 i check for a seller in the US and ship to my planet express address. Pool with other parcels and ship further to SA over DHL.

16022624702454366950592771119927.thumb.jpg.d5995b57b428579c8c3714e3cd3d3cf8.jpg

How often do you end up using this product though? If on the instance, and when timely. Then quite regularly? I feel like @Fridgedoor said it just right. If you gna get it, you gna get it. But stronger plants are proven to be more resilient, then what happens when they start dying out? Around the same time everybody gets PM anyway 

As mentioned above, first I would drastically increase the air flow to the tent. Serenade helps to get all clean again.. but if you get PM, you have a environment issue to sort. All running smooth, you shouldn't get PM in the first place.

Yes, I think that applies to indoor grows. Luckily indoor growers can tweak their setup in a way PM isn't going to get a chance to grow on the plants.

Outside it's a bit of a different story I feel. Last season I observed PM on my sunflowers and pumpkin plants long before I found some signs of PM on one of my cannabis plants. It only showed up late in flower and I managed to control it and bud washed the infected parts.

This makes me think that the cannabis plant's immune system gets weaker towards the end of their life cycle. That's just a hypotheses of mine which is probably wrong.

6 hours ago, Prom said:

As mentioned above, first I would drastically increase the air flow to the tent. Serenade helps to get all clean again.. but if you get PM, you have a environment issue to sort. All running smooth, you shouldn't get PM in the first place.

Ya I hear what everybody is saying about airflow and the importance. But I’m ventilating my tent quite well, and I run it 24/7. Ventilation will always be required and done properly, but more so movement of stagnant air in and around the tent, getting rid of all the dead spots in the tent made huge difference. So incorporating everything to successfully battle PM needs to be taken into account. Definitely an environment issue