Over Nute or getting sick?

Venom

Here are some pics of my gorgeous SSH. One week into BioBizz Bloom and Grow, there is a change in her. Critical factors that everyone will need to know is:

I am a new grower, so some mistakes have been made.

What type of medium; soil or hydro? - Soil

What brand and type of soil? - Organic, Compost, Vermiculite

Indoors or outdoors? - Indoor, grow tent (Small inlet fan, larger extractor fan)

What strain? - SSH

How old are the plants? - 5 weeks into flower.

What type of lights and how many watts? - CFL (5 surround this plant and all are rated at 125W)

How far from the lights? - about 20cm

What is your watering frequency and source of water? - Still water every 3 days

What, how much and when was it fed? Two doses so far of 4ml/Litre of BioBizz Bloom and 1ml/litre of BioBizz grow.

What are the temps and humidity in the room? - Humidity is controlled by Dehumidifier. It is set to 50%. The small hygrometer on my carbon filter says 30%.Temps are ranging from 25 degrees C to 19 degrees C

What size pots? - 15 Litre?

Any bugs? Look real close. - Nothing

Other useful facts.

Seedling grew up in a peat mix. I later added organic soil and compost and vermiculite. The plant has been growing well for months. Although, it seems to be flowering so slowly. SSH takes while right?

Because the original Peat mix is still there, I am reluctant to give too much water, just because I am let to believe the Peat retains moisture too much.

This plant has never had a solid flush of water and I am worried that if I do this, that the plant may die. I would appreciate your thoughts. Pics are attached. Note the twisting, claw and slight tip burns.

1.thumb.jpg.f66c98a82b90cca504c3c880533c51a1.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.370322321910b64ef8a330fc6bb81324.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.e3fbf2b20f17d5c4c3bb8c0396907ba8.jpg

Guest spootch

Ahoy Venom I'm a hydro grower so not very clued up on soil, the burnt and clawed tips kinda point to a nutrient problem but a couple questions, how was the onset of this ? Where did u notice it starting ? Did it move through the plant from bottom to the top ect ?? I have a feeling its an enviro problem that's causing the nutrient uptake problem, do you have a proper hygrometer? I think 30% humidity is way to low couple with low light cfl could be stress the plant making it not feed properly ???? Not sure about flushing in soil tho ??? I'm a newbie myself so just throwing things out there to help, good luck 

Benn throwing my problem around on the net and the consensus seems to be that the plant needs a solid flush. And this may well be the case. I have never watered her so that I have any significant run-off. She's a big girl, she grew up in that pot and has been the strongest of all my plants. So step one will be a flushing today and then I will post an update in a few days time. I am a bit concerned that she won't respond well to the flush, but what can I do, it looks like it is the only solution right now. I'll just make sure that the soil dries for the next few days after the flush.

It really is strange how different strains are. The Guava Ghost right next to her is still loving her life and growing nicely. (Exact same regime)

I did the flush, I put the pot onto a steel grid and left her to drain as long as I could. She is in what i think is a 10L pot. So I flushed her with 20L of water. She is in the tent now sleeping. The dehumidifier is running, and so are the fans. I will test the soil in the morning and see how dry it is. I expect that the soil will take a few days to show drying. I am just worried about her. But, a part of me really does believe that this was the right thing to do. Some people recommend flushing a plant atleast once in it's life. So let's see!

Hi bud

I am so sorry I did not reply earlier before your flush. ... I feel kak about that.

Well here's my 2 cents...

Those plants are over watered and by flushing her I presume she is looking a lot worse.

After reading through your initial post you say , she was started in peat (huge water retension and extremely low ph 4.2) you them say you planted her into an organic mix of vermiculite compost and soil  and you water it every 3 days... that to me is screaming to much water and lack of air exchange with the roots. Roots need air , that is one of the main reasons why we put perlite into mixer .

When you say "compost" do you mean that chunky stuff?

So in my opinion  without seeing the new pic I would put this down to much water retention with lack of air exchange due to a poor medium and to much water , I would also guess you have ph problems in pockets.

Since she is 5 weeks into flower there's not much you can do , more than likely she will hermie if she survives and you can probably add on about 4 weeks to her flowering time now as well.

It's kak when it happens but learn the lesson and more forward with a proper medium.

Cheers

Reaf

Guest Maxwell

Air. Yes the key is air. Not oxygen. Air. Nitrogen is vital and recent studies show how N fixing bacteria can take N from the air and give it to your plant...

Thanks for the comments guys. Here is what I did. Two days ago, I was wondering if she was drowning, so I took a pot, the exact same pot as she is in and punched it full of holes with a soldering iron. I then put some dry soil into the bottom of this pot, not much soil, very little actually. I then took a soldering iron to the pot she is in and made a cut about 1cm above the base and ran the iron all the way around the pot. I also punched a whole bunch of holes into her pot from the sides all the way around. She looks like her pot was shot by a pellet machine gun. I was able to drop the base of the pot out. (My biggest fear was root rot). Out came a solid compacted flat 'plate' of soil . Essentially, I was holding the piece that I cut out and it was solid with soil. Wet compact soil. There were some roots in it, so I checked them and the did not smell, they seemed quite healthy. Anyway, I put that base aside. I picked up the pot that the girl is in and inserted it into the other pot that I punched full of holes. According to my measurements, there should be about 2mm gap between the dry soil in the outer pot and her base. Such a small gap, but enough to let some air in and if the soil in the base falls, it's only 2mm. I then placed a fan blowing onto the outside of the pot and the soil.

I have stopped using the dehumidifier as it seems that the extractor is doing a fine job. This morning, she still looked droopy. Her giant fan leaves are dying and lying on top of a lot of the buds, so I cut them away. I did this for a number of reasons. I wanted to get airflow through the lower section and also to get some light to the buds and their leaves. Also, just past 6 weeks into flowering, I was expecting these leaves to die soon. After I cut away the leaves, she looks a little less 'bushy', but I was surprised that she does not look 'that' bad anymore. I may still lose her, but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Her smaller leaves seems to be good. Some are erect and some are a little droopy.

The fact is that I have cared for her and I genuinely care about her and I think this will make a difference. I am also hoping that the fan and the double pot will dry out the base soil. She was getting a bit weak knee-ed, so i put a dowel in to support her. Hope that this means that her buds are still growing and that she is getting heavy. I must make a correction. I made an error with something, I used Perlite, not vermiculite. (Sorry guys). The compost that I used was that organic 'super grow' stuff. Yes yes, next grow will start soon and the learning curve has been ridiculously steep. I won't use peat again and I will ease up on compost. Next is Durban Poison and two little Cinderella 99's.

I will post photo's tomorrow of her and then of my pride and joy, the gorgeous Guava Ghost Train. (please note that I am a beginner and that even my Guava Ghost is showing small over nute signs. I have adjusted everything since two/three weeks ago. Now all they will be getting is water.....and not very much of it)

Watch for the pics tomorrow.

Pics as promised:

Some leaves look good, some are drooping. Is there hope?

This dowel is very thin, it looks huge, it's not. (And to any smart-asses, no, that's not what my wife says)

481_26_05_15_6_29_12.jpeg

More:

481_26_05_15_6_32_04.jpeg

And a couple of pic of the Guava Ghost Train

481_26_05_15_6_33_05.jpeg481_26_05_15_6_33_34.jpeg

The SSH has gone Hermie as Reaf said it would. What do I do? The Guava Ghost train is 2-3 weeks from finishing. The SSH (under normal conditions has 5 weeks. Will the Guava Ghost get fertilized if I leave them together? Is there enough time for the Guava to start focusing on seed production? I will destroy the SSH if it is the best thing to do. I can start again.