Budget Dehumidifier

Slartibarfast

Any ideas on non-dehumidifier methods to lower tent humidity? I have a 1m x 1m tent and the room is probably around 3m x 3m with a door into the house passage and a single window. I am using ducting to exhaust tent air out the window and have 1 intake open.

I have experimented with opening more intakes, opening the room door and increasing the temp on the dry air heater in the tent. Not having much success really.

I have 2 flowering plants in the tent and the humidity is usually between 50% and 65%. I use a Blumat drip system for watering so there isn't excess water in the pots.

Any advice would be super appreciated

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Slartibarfast keep in mind that the ambient humidity will be the lowest you will achieve in your tent.

If you want it lower, the only way is with a dehumidifier.

So best is to monitor the ambient RH of the room and perhaps even the house, then you know how far off the RH in the tent is compared to the room / house.

Increasing the amount of air moving through the tent will help get rid of excess humidity in the tent. Any lower than the ambient humidity, you'd need a dehumidifier.

I have decided to just stick it out and go with the flow as I do not really want to run a dehumidifier, so sometimes humidity is high during flower - just monitor for PM or spray something to help prevent PM from occurring. 

• Like 3

This winter run I added a humidity sensor to my exhaust fan and it's the first time I had no PM, looks like the humidity spiked when lights went of in the past and then my temp/exhaust fan didn't suck it out and it created a perfect inviorment for PM. That Sonoff sensors are just over R200 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GGG said:

This winter run I added a humidity sensor to my exhaust fan and it's the first time I had no PM, looks like the humidity spiked when lights went of in the past and then my temp/exhaust fan didn't suck it out and it created a perfect inviorment for PM. That Sonoff sensors are just over R200 if I remember correctly.

So what did you do to counter it? Increased fan speed when the lights go off?

Now the humidity sensor kicks the fan on at the set range. At the moment I set it to 73 just before lights goes of, and when lights go on I set it at 53 again. I know the 73 sounds hight but if I put it any lower it drops temp to 12-18 when lights are of. Got to work with what I have.

• Like 2

I see, I have always had my fan set on static - despite it having built in RH & temp sensors.

That way it moves the same amount of air out the tent regardless of the temp and RH. I understand the issue with the temps dropping too low during lights off.

Although with us going into summer now, shouldn't be as much of an issue at least.

@Slartibarfast keep in mind that the ambient humidity will be the lowest you will achieve in your tent.
If you want it lower, the only way is with a dehumidifier.

So best is to monitor the ambient RH of the room and perhaps even the house, then you know how far off the RH in the tent is compared to the room / house.
Increasing the amount of air moving through the tent will help get rid of excess humidity in the tent. Any lower than the ambient humidity, you'd need a dehumidifier.

I have decided to just stick it out and go with the flow as I do not really want to run a dehumidifier, so sometimes humidity is high during flower - just monitor for PM or spray something to help prevent PM from occurring. 

Thanks for that, looks like humidity in my place is roughly the same as the tent so looks like a dehumidifier is my best bet. I have an oscillating fan in the tent and the 150mm extractor fan is always running at max. Have you successfully flowered at humidity ranges similar to mine?

16 hours ago, Slartibarfast said:

Thanks for that, looks like humidity in my place is roughly the same as the tent so looks like a dehumidifier is my best bet. I have an oscillating fan in the tent and the 150mm extractor fan is always running at max. Have you successfully flowered at humidity ranges similar to mine?

I have, not to say you wont run into issues but if you do not have a dehumidifier - then you gotta work with what you got.

Spraying the plants to try keep possible issues at bay could help. Defoliation as well and ensure ample air circulation inside the tent to avoid stale spots.

• Like 1

I have, not to say you wont run into issues but if you do not have a dehumidifier - then you gotta work with what you got.

Spraying the plants to try keep possible issues at bay could help. Defoliation as well and ensure ample air circulation inside the tent to avoid stale spots.
Thanks, what spray should I use?

In flower one needs to be careful, something like aq sf could work well. http://www.agro-organics.co.za/aq-sf/

Mixture of milk & water has been effective against PM as well. But it can smell and make a mess when being sprayed.

Some use sulphur, but some say it leaves a residue on the bud which can be tasted and others say it makes no difference to the taste. So this one is for your discretion.

Serenade I have heard good things about, I believe it can be used during flower - but you'd need to source it and import it. Not available locally.

• 2 months later...