Mainline in soil issue?

Slartibarfast

Hi, I have mainlined a Kush x Cheese grow in Freedom Farms soil using a 10l pot. I have been feeding it nutrients on a weekly feeding schedule but am finding that the buds are just not getting all that dense. Attached are some pictures from it currently at 9 weeks of flowering.

Would mainlining a soil grow hinder the plants growth at all? Or does it look fine and maybe it's just genetics?

I have a Sour Diesel grow in the tent with it that was only topped and it looks to be fattening up quite well. 8c4bb94cb8fd8c5963504b98241e6788.jpg0d21e554cb323cb676c4f21874d9e529.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, I mainline my plants always and never used another medium than soil. You'll be fine.

Keep in mind that your plants generally grow faster in hydro as you're kind of force feeding your plant whereas in soil your plants take only what they need and therefore grow a bit slower.

• Like 2

I would not suggest doing anything drastic this far in, however, the plants look super healthy and if I didn't know they were 9 weeks in I would think they right on track.

So I would say maybe doing a partial clean up of the bottom fan leaves, and all fan leaves covering buds for better light exposure, then a lot more patience. maybe about 3 weeks more patience... that and beef up feeding as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

I dont think you will change much about the plant at this stage. Bigger bags and wrapping the top half of your fabric pots with cling film seems to be the answer for me. 

Why do you wrap the tap half of the pots? Help retain water?

2 hours ago, Fridgedoor said:

Hi, I mainline my plants always and never used another medium than soil. You'll be fine.

Keep in mind that your plants generally grow faster in hydro as you're kind of force feeding your plant whereas in soil your plants take only what they need and therefore grow a bit slower.

Plants will always only take what they need, in hydro the nutrients are just more readily available to the plant.

In soil this is not the case.

2 hours ago, Slartibarfast said:

Would removing some of the lower branches help at all or is it too late into the grow for that?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

A bit late now, you want to do this earlier on.

The way you train and work with your plants, will also determine the outcome. I find cleaning up a plant heavily underneath where light ill be limited will ensure more energy is put into the remaining bud sites and you then can end up with larger bud. Strain will obviously play a role too.

Also pot size could be a limiting factor. Try with a 20L pot next time.

• Like 3

When you wrap you pots it retains more water and your roots actually grow to the side of the pot. The more root space you have the bigger your plant can grow. Most of the new grow bags in the states come with a plastic lining sown into the bag. Specifically for organic growing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

Most of the new grow bags in the states come with a plastic lining sown into the bag. Specifically for organic growing.

That's interesting to me and I think about trying that this grow. But they also only sow the plastic lining into the top half of the pot right? Otherwise it would kind of defeat the purpose.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, Fridgedoor said:

That's interesting to me and I think about trying that this grow. But they also only sow the plastic lining into the top half of the pot right? Otherwise it would kind of defeat the purpose.

I only use this on my indoor plants. Outdoors I have 40~70l pots and they have irrigation so I want them to dry out before the next watering cycle. They get water multiple times a day. My indoor plants get water once a day so they need some assistance. But hopefulle I will just do grow beds in future.

• Like 2