Secret potions? Special concoctions?

PsyCLown

Hey all,

So how about sharing some of your secrets, wondering if any of you guys have special mixes of stuff you like to use on your plants which you feel make a difference and how do you use it?

I know some of the common stuff is kelpack, silicon, various nutrients via foliar spray, Triancontanol etc.

Then you get the stuff like trichoderma which can help keep roots happy and mycorrhizal fungi as well which you'd generally mix in with the medium or apply via a "soil" drench.

Your various bloom boosters, which is generally MPK.

Curious as to what you find works for you and how you apply it.

• Like 6

Personally, all the mycoroot, definitely tops. I even go as far as to rub my seeds with mycoroot before planting, and then again for every transplant going forward. 

Additional silicon during veg, especially when topping more than once, I find very useful. 

EM Pro-soil I add to every feeding. 

Otherwise, I try not to add anything else whether I'm using BioBizz or GHE nutes. Apart from the above, I trust these nutes to be sufficient. 

• Like 4

Bokashi bran everywhere lol, and i like using small amounts of washed rice water, asian folks been growing everthing green with that for thousands of years , my granny born on the pescador islands next to Taiwan, i can remember all the farms there had mutant veggies growing in the land, the were quadrupal in size to anything i had seen before, my gran always said rice water and all the farmers i met siad the same.... folks tale probally , that islands volcanic ,mineral and nutrient rich soil was probally the answer hahah

Edited by Roasty
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Roasty said:

Bokashi bran everywhere lol, and i like using small amounts of washed rice water, asian folks been growing everthing green with that for thousands of years , my granny born on the pescador islands next to Taiwan, i can remember all the farms there had mutant veggies growing in the land, the were quadrupal in size to anything i had seen before, my gran always said rice water and all the farmers i met siad the same.... folks tale probally , that islands volcanic ,mineral and nutrient rich soil was probally the answer hahah

Do you need to cook the rice or use uncooked rice in the water?I use cooked rice water to treat PM and it works wonderfully.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Roasty said:

Hi Batista,

uncooked rice water, use asian style rice grains much much smaller than tastic, very high in starch, gen rule is wash and rinse 3 times before cooking applies to sushi rice as well if you cooking lol, interesting regarding the PM part 👍

Thanks man, yeah its the LactoBacillus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_plantarum

Interesting from that link (this correlates to what you said about large veggies) - 'Lactobacilli are unusual in that they can respire oxygen' -< Thats basically an airline in your medium ? lol - I could see how that would supercharge growth!

So @Roasty basically to make it, leave rice water by a windowsill for a few days.Thats what I do,then dilute with water to prevent clogging spray pump.

Edited by Batista
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Batista said:

Thanks man, yeah its the LactoBacillus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_plantarum

Interesting from that link (this correlates to what you said about large veggies) - 'Lactobacilli are unusual in that they can respire oxygen' -< Thats basically an airline in your medium ? lol - I could see how that would supercharge growth!

very interesting... @Totemic I wouldn't say the additional oxygen from microbial life would be that useful in the medium but the ability to dismantle Reactive oxygen species into h202. Very similar to Superoxide-dismutase, which keeps coming up. 

This enzyme is the first line of defense in a plant. This can also be achieved with the right amount humus and kelp, administered best through the respiratory system. When plants have these enzymes available, stress tolerance increases drastically, growth, blooms and the list goes on. 10 year study done by Virginia tech on specific bio-stimulants. Plant respiratory increase that was noted that of the opening and closing of the stomata too, plants opened wider and breathed more deeply as if they had was would be the equivalent to a shot of Adrenalin.

Also another added benefit both Lacto and compounds increasing Superoxide dismutase - an increase in the Systemic stress response. Puts the plants on High alert and when they are in that mode, not much can become systemic, including PM. But that's while the plant is happy and thriving, when dying off towards the end of the plants life its a different story. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fridgedoor said:

I'll use this for my next grow:

https://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/cannabis-microbial-consortium-cmc-750ml-r125/

Can't say if it'll any good to my plants but it surely sparked my interest.

Other than that I add passion and dedication to everything I grow.

Huge benefits to adding microbes. Wish I could better understand all the different species of which there is soooo much! All with different characteristics and traits. That’s something I would love to learn. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Huge benefits to adding microbes. Wish I could better understand all the different species of which there is soooo much! All with different characteristics and traits. That’s something I would love to learn. 

Yes, I was actually thinking about getting a good microscope to be able to see them working, identifying them and so on.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In our organic realm there are a few...

Additional to normal feeding routine.

Mung and Adzuki SST's for veg.

Yellow corn SST's for flower.

AACT and BIM's for microbial. 

Comfrey FPJ for veg

Seaweed FPJ for micro's (live by the sea)

Catnip and or Tomato leaf extract for spidermite and aphids.

Varients of Banana/potato/sweetpotato/aloevera smoothies for nutrient boost and microbe support. 

Rice and pasta water also in the mix- starch, sugars and LAB.

Worm farm coming along nicely, vermicompost for the soil and tea for the ladies.

Edited by Bos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bos said:

In our organic realm there are a few...

Additional to normal feeding routine.

Mung and Adzuki SST's for veg.

Yellow corn SST's for flower.

AACT and BIM's for microbial. 

Comfrey FPJ for veg

Seaweed FPJ for micro's (live by the sea)

Catnip and or Tomato leaf extract for spidermite and aphids.

Varients of Banana/potato/sweetpotato/aloevera smoothies for nutrient boost and microbe support. 

Rice and pasta water also in the mix- starch, sugars and LAB.

Worm farm coming along nicely, vermicompost for the soil and tea for the ladies.

@Bos knows his way around the organics, solid advice right there.

Check the origins (if possible) when sourcing your molasses/sugars for ferments.

I like making simple compost or worm castings extracts/leechates for plants. 

20 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

So is anyone using or has tried using Chitosan oligosaccharide, and/or salicylic acid or aspirin?

Nah, what would they be used for?

Heard some folk tales about asprins being used to force fems, never tried tho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dank said:

Nah, what would they be used for?

Heard some folk tales about asprins being used to force fems, never tried tho.

Chitosan is suppose to trick the plants immune system, think it is being attacked and eaten by bugs

Aspirin & salicylic acid is meant to help the plant handle stress better, handle extreme temps better and even consume less water (so more resistant to drought).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

Chitosan is suppose to trick the plants immune system, think it is being attacked and eaten by bugs

Aspirin & salicylic acid is meant to help the plant handle stress better, handle extreme temps better and even consume less water (so more resistant to drought).

Good to know, i keep a small colony of mealworms for the frass, supposedly does what Chitosan does.

Neat hack if the Chitosan works, keeping mealworms requires a bit of dedication, i wiped out a few colonies already 😅

Wouldnt be organic tho would it? No idea what Chitosan is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dank said:

Good to know, i keep a small colony of mealworms for the frass, supposedly does what Chitosan does.

Neat hack if the Chitosan works, keeping mealworms requires a bit of dedication, i wiped out a few colonies already 😅

Wouldnt be organic tho would it? No idea what Chitosan is.

I believe chitosan oligosaccharide is from the shells of crabs, shrimp and so forth, but purified into a white powder.
I believe the frass does not contain chitosan, only the shell itself - so ground mealworms may work... Not 100% sure though.

So how organic it is, well, up to you to decide. You spray it on the plants. I believe it also has benefits for humans if consumed and is particularly good for kidney issues.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shot man, surely sounds worthy of an experiment down the line.

The mealworms shed their skins quite a few times, this frass is their poop, skins, bran and exoskeletons of the beetles.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

@Roasty do you add milk to your rice water to isolate lactobacillus? After seeing your post I searched how to make it and this article says to add milk to isolate the bacteria you want and remove potential threatening bacteria. 

http://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.com/2017/04/how-to-turn-rinsed-rice-water-into.html?m=1

The article goes on to say the following: This particular beneficial microorganism is popularly used in composting that specifically arrest foul odors associated with anaerobic decomposition. Lactic acid bacteria thrive and feed on the ammonia released in the decomposition normally associated with foul odors. So if you need to decompose or ferment wastes less foul odors, lactic acid bacteria is the specific bacteria to use.

Can this be used to safely compost dog waste? 

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Shot man, surely sounds worthy of an experiment down the line.
The mealworms shed their skins quite a few times, this frass is their poop, skins, bran and exoskeletons of the beetles.
Ahh ok, I thought it was just their poop. My bad.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Ahh ok, I thought it was just their poop. My bad.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Awe no worries.

The frass sold in shops might be just that, not sure if they include exoskeletons etc.

Most of the frass gets fed to worms before going to the soil.

1 hour ago, ORGANinc. said:

I hear neem seed meal is a next level add. 

That is the seed meal, which differs to the neem leaf powder, busy trialing the leaf powder in my soil now, both should have hugely beneficial antioxidant qualities. 

Just dosing it right is quite NB. 

Are these easily obtained in SA?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dank said:

Awe no worries.

The frass sold in shops might be just that, not sure if they include exoskeletons etc.

Most of the frass gets fed to worms before going to the soil.

Are these easily obtained in SA?

I’m pretty sure the frass contains huge amounts of chitin and massive amounts of microbial, also could be quite important to sustaining good fungal colonies. 

Neem seed meal is only found overseas from what I’ve seen. Can’t find it anywhere, happened to stumble upon a supplier for the leaf powder. If anyone knows where to purchase seed meal locally, I’m all ears. ☝🏻🔥🙌🏻

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, ORGANinc. said:

I’m pretty sure the frass contains huge amounts of chitin and massive amounts of microbial, also could be quite important to sustaining good fungal colonies. 

Neem seed meal is only found overseas from what I’ve seen. Can’t find it anywhere, happened to stumble upon a supplier for the leaf powder. If anyone knows where to purchase seed meal locally, I’m all ears. ☝🏻🔥🙌🏻

Cotton and soybean seed meals or 'cake' are also worth mentioning as soil amendments. The byproduct of oil pressing.

But...seems finding a supplier is a difficult.

RSA is not as clued up on organic amendments/supplements as the US of A. 

• Agree 1