Cultivars/Strains

SkunkPharm

Yes and yes...

Some Strains seem to hermie even when all growing parameters have met. That to me qualifies for crappy variety for example. Also some varieties just don’t have a nice terpene profile no matter what you as a grower do. But I guess taste differs from person to person.

But I think in most cases it's mostly up to the grower. It takes time to be able to 'read' your plants and each strain likes different things. Meeting your plants needs and growing with passion is getting the best out of your plants. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've run into a couple of duds - multiple plants, same strain, same breeder - all different in growth and terpene profiles - one hermied in flower for no reason. Will never buy from them again. Schoolfees. 

If the genetics are weak or the breeder messed up somewhere, the grower can try his best and still end up with shite.

But I must also add, some growers have greener fingers than others....and some should rather stay away from plants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 11:44 AM, PsyCLown said:

Without a doubt, lots of shit out there I feel.

Although with that being said, what I look for in a strain may differ to what you look for.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I agree there is lots of shit out there. I think if your starting out and you dont have the cash. You go through lots of shit before you realize that you have to pay for good genetics. 

• Agree 4

@SkunkPharm I personally prefer fem seeds, growing regs is just a hassle as it means space will be a problem. I will never be able to maximize on my space in my flower tent when regs are involved - something will be thrown out of the mix.

However I do grow regs if I have to, if its a good strain I want to grow and only comes as a regular.

I also grew some GTH by Rare Dankness, such a lanky plant with huge internode spacing. Made for quite a challenging indoor grow as it was not growing the way I am use to and training was not having the effects I am use to.

Eventually I managed to pull over 200g dry from that plant, it got really big too. Neglected a bit as well, but the smoke was decent.

I harvested too early as well I feel, but I had no choice. The frost was lacking, the buds weren't massive and not dense either. Could have been my fault though.

The smell and taste, I have not had any other plant smell or taste the same. Extremely unique and I found it quite pleasant. The high was decent too, not the most potent but I enjoyed it.

With all of that being said, not sure I would grow it again. Stupidly long flowering plant. Probably needed like 16 weeks or more in flower to mature properly - at least the one I had. I'd rather grow it outside too, if I was able to.

• Like 2

Fem seeds are convenient. That's about all for me. They are too 'flat' ito expressions and that's great in a commercial environment.

I prefer regular seeds. Plants are just more robust, express better etc

Even for my breeding I prefer creating regulars, as it's more about preserving genetics as with fems you aren't preserving the genetics, you are shaving off future genetic potential.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

@SkunkPharm I personally prefer fem seeds, growing regs is just a hassle as it means space will be a problem. I will never be able to maximize on my space in my flower tent when regs are involved - something will be thrown out of the mix.

However I do grow regs if I have to, if its a good strain I want to grow and only comes as a regular.

I also grew some GTH by Rare Dankness, such a lanky plant with huge internode spacing. Made for quite a challenging indoor grow as it was not growing the way I am use to and training was not having the effects I am use to.

Eventually I managed to pull over 200g dry from that plant, it got really big too. Neglected a bit as well, but the smoke was decent.

I harvested too early as well I feel, but I had no choice. The frost was lacking, the buds weren't massive and not dense either. Could have been my fault though.

The smell and taste, I have not had any other plant smell or taste the same. Extremely unique and I found it quite pleasant. The high was decent too, not the most potent but I enjoyed it.

With all of that being said, not sure I would grow it again. Stupidly long flowering plant. Probably needed like 16 weeks or more in flower to mature properly - at least the one I had. I'd rather grow it outside too, if I was able to.

The one pheno I have is definitely a keeper. It did not strech t much in flower and already has the biggest buds in the room. The other pheno has the same terps but I can see the buds are not as compact but that could be that the light is a bit iffy. Getting a new light on friday for that side Of the tent. That first pheno must be the Ghost OG side of the genetics.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2020 at 7:36 PM, Bos said:

I've run into a couple of duds - multiple plants, same strain, same breeder - all different in growth and terpene profiles - one hermied in flower for no reason. Will never buy from them again. Schoolfees. 

Name & shame? Always looking to skimp on schoolfees were possible, I've got still got student debt to pay:-hilarious