Moon Gardening

PapaSpliff

Question

23 answers to this question

Hey hey, yeah there is truth in that, my friend showed me with his tomotoes, planted the one 2 weeks before full moon and then on full moon and the full moon plant was 2 weeks behind but bigger. You actually plant a few days before full moon if its a plant bearing fruits above ground, you want the seed to break open basically on full moon or a day before. The moon pulls it up like the waves with spring tide. That's the way I understand it. Sure some other member will have more knowledge

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, I plant according to the moon. I germinate my seeds on fullmoon since a few years and had only one dud ever since. Not sure if I was just lucky or if the moon had an influence on that. I like the idea that the moon has an effect on the plants. Plus it's for free, so there's nothing to loose doing it.

As far as I know there's little to none studies done on that topic to back up that it actually works.

I come from a family of farmers and my forefathers all planted according to the moon and were convinced that it is beneficial.

1 hour ago, Fridgedoor said:

Hi, I plant according to the moon. I germinate my seeds on fullmoon since a few years and had only one dud ever since. Not sure if I was just lucky or if the moon had an influence on that. I like the idea that the moon has an effect on the plants. Plus it's for free, so there's nothing to loose doing it.

As far as I know there's little to none studies done on that topic to back up that it actually works.

I come from a family of farmers and my forefathers all planted according to the moon and were convinced that it is beneficial.

I've heard of the "farmer's almanac" that's been used by generations of farmers...

To me it has to do with the moons gravitational effects on water. Full moon draws water up to the surface, and surely affects water in plants too. I plant by the moon, and have found that germination is quicker, seedlings stronger when I plant at full moon compared to any other time of the month. 

All anecdotal of course. Just part of my seasonal routine. The next full moon is 1 October, and I'll be dropping my first outdoor beans then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, Totemic said:

To me it has to do with the moons gravitational effects on water. Full moon draws water up to the surface, and surely affects water in plants too. I plant by the moon, and have found that germination is quicker, seedlings stronger when I plant at full moon compared to any other time of the month. 

All anecdotal of course. Just part of my seasonal routine. The next full moon is 1 October, and I'll be dropping my first outdoor beans then.

@Totemic  thanks for your input👊 Quickfollowup question: 

On the 1 October (next full moon), would you begin to germinate your seeds (in water/paper towel),  OR would you be planting the already germinated seeds into the grow medium?? I'm trying to identify the optimum time according to the moon to germinate my seeds...

1 hour ago, PapaSpliff said:

@Totemic  thanks for your input👊 Quickfollowup question: 

On the 1 October (next full moon), would you begin to germinate your seeds (in water/paper towel),  OR would you be planting the already germinated seeds into the grow medium?? I'm trying to identify the optimum time according to the moon to germinate my seeds...

Soak them the night before to plant on the day. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, Totemic said:

Full moon around the corner, can't wait to drop my seeds for my first serious try at growing🤞... Have a great season 

• Like 1

Hmmmm interesting concept but somewhat on the conspiracy side I reckon, moon/gravity has that effect on large bodies of water, growing up deep sea fishing, i know this & know it does help with catching certain species fish and the wind will always be pumping but effects on waves/water is mainly due its gravitational effect on such a massive volume of water so i highly doubt it would have an effect on such a small amount of water let alone that additional gravitational 'pressure' would make a plant absorb water/make use of it more efficiently than what it would normally would or to the point where it contributes significantly - this is just my opinion, could be wrong, but at the same time if it were the case it would of been widely documented so unless a controlled study is done its merely a coincidental observation

Makes me think of those studies/arguments that playing classical music in your indoor grow room will improve growth by double digits, a somewhat similar argument here (and just as interesting actually)

Edited by Psylecta
Spelling

Its almost like saying I can jump higher (or vice versa) during a full moon, something about it not gelling lekka, even though it seems somewhat plausible, thinking logically the difference in 'energy' output (for lack of a better term) between a full moon and qtr moon for example can't be that significant that it would cause u to jump higher or fall to the ground slower - unless I'm perceiving this entirely wrong? Dont know, lol one things for sure its a headtrip thinking bout it hahahahaha

It has to do with even more than just the moon imo. New and full moon phases are such that Earth, Moon, and Sun align. The solar and lunar tides are affected to a point where we visibly see a difference. 

I would say that's not far off from the circadian rythem we are governed by Ito the phenomenon.

But yeah, its bigger than I think we might ever understand, and to prove this we would need a control universe without a moon and sun to provide a factual scientific answer

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, felix2000 said:

There is no proven scientific evidence that planting by the cycles of the moon is beneficial. I think if you asked a commercial farmer this question, the reply would be quite amusing. 

Here's a thorough scientific look at it. A commercial farmer isnt the right place to ask questions about gravity or spacial bodies...

While this paper doesnt address planting by the moon directly, it goes and delves deeper into the actual observed interactions

Lunisolar tidal force and the growth of plant roots, and some other of its effects on plant movements

It's a long paper

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3394636/

First clip

Abstract

Background

Correlative evidence has often suggested that the lunisolar tidal force, to which the Sun contributes 30 % and the Moon 60 % of the combined gravitational acceleration, regulates a number of features of plant growth upon Earth. The time scales of the effects studied have ranged from the lunar day, with a period of approx. 24·8 h, to longer, monthly or seasonal variations.

Scope

We review evidence for a lunar involvement with plant growth. In particular, we describe experimental observations which indicate a putative lunar-based relationship with the rate of elongation of roots of Arabidopsis thaliana maintained in constant light. The evidence suggests that there may be continuous modulation of root elongation growth by the lunisolar tidal force. In order to provide further supportive evidence for a more general hypothesis of a lunisolar regulation of growth, we highlight similarly suggestive evidence from the time courses of (a) bean leaf movements obtained from kymographic observations; (b) dilatation cycles of tree stems obtained from dendrograms; and (c) the diurnal changes of wood–water relationships in a living tree obtained by reflectometry.

Conclusions

At present, the evidence for a lunar or a lunisolar influence on root growth or, indeed, on any other plant system, is correlative, and therefore circumstantial. Although it is not possible to alter the lunisolar gravitational force experienced by living organisms on Earth, it is possible to predict how this putative lunisolar influence will vary at times in the near future. This may offer ways of testing predictions about possible Moon–plant relationships. As for a hypothesis about how the three-body system of Earth–Sun–Moon could interact with biological systems to produce a specific growth response, this remains a challenge for the future. Plant growth responses are mainly brought about by differential movement of water across protoplasmic membranes in conjunction with water movement in the super-symplasm. It may be in this realm of water movements, or even in the physical forms which water adopts within cells, that the lunisolar tidal force has an impact upon living growth systems.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Totemic said:

Here's a thorough scientific look at it. A commercial farmer isnt the right place to ask questions about gravity or spacial bodies...

While this paper doesnt address planting by the moon directly, it goes and delves deeper into the actual observed interactions

Lunisolar tidal force and the growth of plant roots, and some other of its effects on plant movements

It's a long paper

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3394636/

First clip

Abstract

Background

Correlative evidence has often suggested that the lunisolar tidal force, to which the Sun contributes 30 % and the Moon 60 % of the combined gravitational acceleration, regulates a number of features of plant growth upon Earth. The time scales of the effects studied have ranged from the lunar day, with a period of approx. 24·8 h, to longer, monthly or seasonal variations.

Scope

We review evidence for a lunar involvement with plant growth. In particular, we describe experimental observations which indicate a putative lunar-based relationship with the rate of elongation of roots of Arabidopsis thaliana maintained in constant light. The evidence suggests that there may be continuous modulation of root elongation growth by the lunisolar tidal force. In order to provide further supportive evidence for a more general hypothesis of a lunisolar regulation of growth, we highlight similarly suggestive evidence from the time courses of (a) bean leaf movements obtained from kymographic observations; (b) dilatation cycles of tree stems obtained from dendrograms; and (c) the diurnal changes of wood–water relationships in a living tree obtained by reflectometry.

Conclusions

At present, the evidence for a lunar or a lunisolar influence on root growth or, indeed, on any other plant system, is correlative, and therefore circumstantial. Although it is not possible to alter the lunisolar gravitational force experienced by living organisms on Earth, it is possible to predict how this putative lunisolar influence will vary at times in the near future. This may offer ways of testing predictions about possible Moon–plant relationships. As for a hypothesis about how the three-body system of Earth–Sun–Moon could interact with biological systems to produce a specific growth response, this remains a challenge for the future. Plant growth responses are mainly brought about by differential movement of water across protoplasmic membranes in conjunction with water movement in the super-symplasm. It may be in this realm of water movements, or even in the physical forms which water adopts within cells, that the lunisolar tidal force has an impact upon living growth systems.

I'll read this as soon as i get done with the morning chaos. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

After doing some searching, the answer to whether this practice is beneficial or not is clear as mud.  While i do not deny any person their beliefs, this practice is not something i would consider following. If you do a search you only come up with gardening pages, which brings me to my comment about commercial farmers. Surely, if there are measurable benefits to be gained by using this practice, ALL commercial farmers would be looking to take advantage. After all, marginal gains can really boost profitability when you are planting 50 hectares at a time. Anyway, this is  my opinion based on the searches i did in a short amount of time. My personality type requires facts, and there seems to be piles on piles of Woo-Woo pertaining to this subject.

I tried conceptualizing a trial protocol to test this theory, but there are far to many vectors which can affect the outcome on a small scale trial. Genetics, media variances, environmental conditions and of course, you have to run the trails over different periods and it is impossible to have a control.

In closing, you need to do what makes you happy! 

PEAS!

Edited by felix2000
potato gramma