Anyone interested in stabilising this strain?

TheUltimateNoob

What's up fam.

So I got a bunch of seeds from what is supposedly DP.

My mate got some bud from his neighbor who said that he got it from his aunt. She has cancer and grows her own stuff.

The bud was full of seeds, and I didn't expect much from it... 2 bongs later I would realise that this outdoor gave me a head buzz like some less potent indoor strains I've smoked in the past.

Like, the bud looked terrible, but the high was so surprising.

I'm not so sure that I have the space or sufficient knowledge to effectively grow, breed and stabilise this strain, so I'm willing to send out just over half of the seeds to whoever is interested.

If you could end up feminizing it, that would be amazing.

I wanted to give the guy some seeds back to give his aunt, or maybe some bud as well.

I've picked out the best looking seeds from the bunch and I'd like to develop this strain.

@Totemic

@420SA

@1000Hills Nursery

I remember seeing a Landrace Sativa appreciation thread on 420sa somewhere, maybe some of those guys would be interested... If you have a link to the thread, please drop it here... I'll go over there and fill them in.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

IMG_20200905_031133.thumb.jpg.380f753b32d2bf86cfc55317a8e76113.jpg

Edited by TheUltimateNoob
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Yo @TheUltimateNoob , does your friends aunt know the origins of where she originally found the beans.

Do you have any information about the male that pollinated the bud? Is it a pure inbred line, any chance of hybridization. 

Pure DP should already be a bit more stable in my opinion and would probably require less work than imagined, if it is actuallt DP.

The thread you mentioned is on the breeders group, here is the link 

• Like 2

Yo @TheUltimateNoob , does your friends aunt know the origins of where she originally found the beans.
Do you have any information about the male that pollinated the bud? Is it a pure inbred line, any chance of hybridization. 
Pure DP should already be a bit more stable in my opinion and would probably require less work than imagined, if it is actuallt DP.
The thread you mentioned is on the breeders group, here is the link 

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try to get my mate to ask him and then get back to the landrace thread.
My suspicion is that it got pollinated by a male in her yard... Will have to find out though..

Thanks again.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Will try to get those for you man... Its a long shot, but worth the try, lol.

Don't mind putting in the effort and time to find a nice DP strain. 

Enjoy hunting good stuff. 

• Like 1

Hey buds. How does this strain hunting work. I'll be moving 34 DP, gave 4 away today, outdoors the next couple of days. Been thinking how do you make a mother plant, is it male or female, do you need both.
If it is the real stuff I was given the seed came from a hydro grower, seed grown outdoor by a friend ( no experience, just a plant growing in the garden ), plant flowered and he gave me some smoke and seeds.
I would like to look into this a bit more as I have the space and the DamDave moment seedlings.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, DamDave said:

Hey buds. How does this strain hunting work. I'll be moving 34 DP, gave 4 away today, outdoors the next couple of days. Been thinking how do you make a mother plant, is it male or female, do you need both.
If it is the real stuff I was given the seed came from a hydro grower, seed grown outdoor by a friend ( no experience, just a plant growing in the garden ), plant flowered and he gave me some smoke and seeds.
I would like to look into this a bit more as I have the space and the DamDave moment seedlings.

Isolating a strain from what's effectively ''bagseed'' is a long term story with no guarantee of success. If the strain has been interbred with itself over a period of time your chances may improve. 

You will need space and time and lots of patience. Planting as many beans as you can manage properly, isolating good females and males depending on what your criteria is for the strain. Interbreeding them, then planting the resulting f1 beans and sifting through the offspring looking for keepers. It can take years on a small scale level to stabilize a strain. 

• Like 1

Thanks@Bos. So you basically grow, take the male and female that show good growth and strong DP traits from the batch, put them together, make seeds then start over again next season if doing it outdoors.
And by doing this year after year do you end up with an original strain. The guy seeds originated from is pretty serious about his game. Trying to get hold of the dude but the name Male Piet says it all.
The plants that are eliminated do you still let them flower.
I've got the space.

7 hours ago, DamDave said:

Thanks@Bos. So you basically grow, take the male and female that show good growth and strong DP traits from the batch, put them together, make seeds then start over again next season if doing it outdoors.
And by doing this year after year do you end up with an original strain. The guy seeds originated from is pretty serious about his game. Trying to get hold of the dude but the name Male Piet says it all.
The plants that are eliminated do you still let them flower.
I've got the space.

To properly stabalize a strain you need to repeat the process up to f5 depending on the plants genetics and what it was interbred with previously. Hopefully you don't discover any unwanted recessive traits like hermaphroditism or a genetic weakness to powdry mildew. 

Unwanted males are destroyed immediately, minimizing the risk of foreign cross pollination. Females that dont make the breeding cut, can be flowered out if they look good enough.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

You're gonna be smoking DP for a loooong time, if it's even true DP.

Curious to see the mother though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

With decades of SAPS choppers spraying the rural areas, and in general the war on the plant, our local landraces have been decimated. I dont think the original DP is around anymore. Neither swazi for that matter. There has been European genetics influence on those populations for years. Lots of hybridization.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1

With decades of SAPS choppers spraying the rural areas, and in general the war on the plant, our local landraces have been decimated. I dont think the original DP is around anymore. Neither swazi for that matter. There has been European genetics influence on those populations for years. Lots of hybridization.

It's quite sad actually and that's always been my thing... Is it really a true landrace?

When people talk about Durban Poison, is it the original strain?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totemic said:

This is very true, in my opinion if you want something close to the old Swazi and Durban poison genetics, Sensi Seeds probably still have em around u know.

Perhaps deep in Swaziland somewhere are some Madalas cultivating something oldschool.

Not sure jow accurate this is, but Greenshouse seeds goes searching for Swazi Gold.

Depending on where you live, cross pollination from neighbors has become a real concern for breeding the last 2 years.

Edited by Dank

This is very true, in my opinion if you want something close to the old Swazi and Durban poison genetics, Sensi Seeds probably still have em around u know.
Perhaps deep in Swaziland somewhere are some Madalas cultivating something oldschool.
Not sure jow accurate this is, but Greenshouse seeds goes searching for Swazi Gold.
Depending on where you live, cross pollination from neighbors has become a real concern for breeding the last 2 years.
Yes, breeding outdoors isn't ideal anymore.

Breeding indoors, space is often the problem and a limiting factor.

• Agree 1

It's quite sad actually and that's always been my thing... Is it really a true landrace?

When people talk about Durban Poison, is it the original strain?

That's what I've been thinking. I'm always gonna have the space and patience to try. But if you look at some of the comments is it worth trying with half decent seeds.

And a big sorry to the hijack of the thread. I'll try to behave

• Haha 1

I have 20 year old seeds. They might nod be specially bred but there are gems among them. Most were shipped to @Prom I just do not have the time and space to mine for them. I am also concentrating on Totemic's genetics from now on and trying some of Bay Seeds Creations.. I'll always have my Swazi Girl on the side though.😂

2 hours ago, Stinger96 said:

I have 20 year old seeds. They might nod be specially bred but there are gems among them. Most were shipped to @Prom I just do not have the time and space to mine for them. I am also concentrating on Totemic's genetics from now on and trying some of Bay Seeds Creations.. I'll always have my Swazi Girl on the side though.😂

That last bit is good.....

Do like my sativas.