Hello

StonerZN

What up dudes and dudettes. 

Was stoked to come across the forum doing some research into lights and have spent hours pouring through some of the content you fine folk have so kindly created for the less knowledgable among us. Local is Lekker ne!

As the name suggests I am from KZN, Durban area more specifically. Moving into a spot with room to grow soon, so am looking to build an indoor setup in the next month or two...

Paying through my nose for skyf at the moment so hoping growing will help! 

I am a little bamboozled by some of the terms and ideas I have come across, so will no doubt have tonnes of questions for the more experienced around that are willing to answer.

I will probably attempt 1/2 plants outdoors, and start with something small and hopefully user friendly and simple for my first run under lights.

Once again, thanks for what I have read so far, and I look forward to partaking and sharing my progress as I go... Maybe even grow something decent at the end of it all.

Shot.

• Like 6

Welcome sunshine!! 

If we cannot get you growing your own finest in the pozie... Then I guess we will try harder😎😅✌️😜

Great news that you will have a bit of a grow space going... But to be honest... Not sure how much you smoke... But 1/2 plants is roughly 100g... Every 5 months. 

So roughly 20g per month. You can grow it bigger... But bigger takes up more space. 

What is your setup budget and how are you wanting to grow? Coco, soil, hydro? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome so far everyone.

@CreX I hadn't thought about working backwards from how much I need to "get off the grid" so to speak😵.

I'm currently going through around 30/40g or so give or take... Bit more than my normal level due to lockdown and boredom 😐 But i'm dead keen to start baking a bit... so that will use up some product quick.

I am looking at a quatum board 250W type setup for inside... I imagine I could probably manage 4 plants with it?

I think I probably need something smaller for when the plants are very young though in addition to the above.

With another 1/2 outside, I would have 6 at once, roughly twice a year for maybe 12 plants then in total?

At 75g/plant I could potentially achieve 900g. 

900/12 = 75g a month. 

That should be more than sufficient I hope😈

With regard to the medium... This is what I am most unsure of, and funnily the forum hasn't helped so far, the topic seems quite divisive to put it mildly!

I just want the cheapest easiest lowest maintenance option while I learn the ropes a bit. I like the idea of a SCROG so am mindful of restrictions that may impose. I could always abandon that idea for now. 

• Like 2

Welcome @StonerZN
I am also from Durbs
Good luck with the new setup and welcome

As for medium, I am busy with my first outdoor growing experience and what I have read and busy trying out.
Is the Freedom Farms Organic Classic
That name does seem to crop up quite often. Shot bru!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would skip soil if you are growing indoor... 

BOOM I said it..... I love coco

If you want the easiest way to grow, get yourself a nice brick of coco, 5kg one should do the trick... 

Get some salt based nutes, nutriplex or GHE is great, follow the directions on the bottle and it really is that simple. 

You will need a way to measure pH of your feed and run off... And I think that's it. 

250w light... Led? Hps? 

Coco

Bottle salt based nutrients

PH pen along with pH down and up ammendments 

Grow weed lol

Ask me to grow outside though... And soil is the way and the light son

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

By all means feel free to move it

Cant stay in Hellos forever
The notion of the trial appeals to a part of me.
Will work on the practicalities and do a costing exercise when I have a gap and decide whether its feasible.
If nothing else it will be good amusement for the rest of you watching me stumble along...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey@StonerZN, in my humble opinion " Hydroponics" is just a ambrella term used when growing mainly with water(that you add nutrients to) in a container like a bucket/big or small totes/coolers or pots and you use a medium like Leca/Coco/perlite/stones, basically anything or nothing.
Different Hydro ways include RDWC, DWC, Fogponics and a couple more. As said by other members it's all nice ways and you have to find yours.
But one thing is for surtain, START GROWING

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, 420sake said:

Welcome @StonerZN - growing DP hé?

Come to the farm at the next club visit and collect some seedz - Lol

Thanks for the welcome!

I have actually been shopping for some DP to try and grow, it just sorta seems to be the right thing to do when one lives in the city it is named after...

I have struggled to find commercial offerings though to be honest. The most legit looking one I have seen seems to be the Dutch Passion version. It seems odd to buy a Durban seed from a Dutch company though. 

I may just take you up on your seeds offering. 

There are clubs? And those clubs visit the farm? Sounds amazing!

Edited by StonerZN
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...