Cabinet approves cannabis bill

Totemic

,So Cabinet has approved a bill to regulate cannabis. We've all been waiting for this, and now that the wheel is rolling again, it is causing quite a stir of emotion among the cannabis community.

With the Concourt judgements suspension ending in about 6 weeks, we will undoubtedly enjoy a brief time where that ruling alone will stand as law.

For this bill to be passed, it needs to undergo normal parliamentary processes which have to by law, include a period for public submissions. It is time for us to again respond enmasse when public submissions open. This will be the only opportunity we have to fight for the quantities we will be allowed to possess.

See the article below. A bit distasteful tone overall,.....

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/423624/cabinet-approves-bill-to-regulate-private-use-of-cannabis-in-south-africa/

Cabinet has approved the submission of the Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill of 2020 to Parliament for processing.

Justice and Correctional Services minister Ronald Lamola said in a media briefing on Thursday (6 August), that the bill will give effect to the Constitutional Court judgement that declared some parts of the Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act and Medicines and Related Substances Control Act unconstiutional.

“The judgement was suspended for 24 months to allow Parliament to correct those sections,” he said.

“This Bill regulates the use and possession of cannabis and the cultivation of cannabis plants by an adult for personal use.

“It provides the limit of the quantity of cannabis that may be possessed by an adult and criminalizes the smoking of cannabis in public places. ”

The bill will have to face parliamentary consideration and a public consultation process before being signed into law.

In 2018, the Constitutional Court ruled that the use of cannabis is legal for both personal and medical use. However, it is currently still unlawful to use it outside of your private home as well as buying and selling it.

The national drug master plan publishedin June states that cannabis is currently the most widely used illicit drug in South Africa, with an estimated 3.65% of the population (between the ages of 15-64) using some form of the drug.

The data shows that its use is widespread amongst all age and income groups and that various forms of the drug are popular for different reasons.

“Hydroponic and indoor produced Cannabis is also on the rise amongst the youth and affluent communities,” the Department of Social Development said.

“A newly emerging trend in use is the smoking or eating of different forms of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – a rich resin extracted from the Marijuana plant. Users refer to this practise as ‘dabbing wax’ or ‘honey’.”

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Ill_Evan pinned and featured this topic

So something is happening at least, what exactly does this mean for us though?

Same same for now, wait for public submission / opinion at which point we're able to make submissions and give feedback as to what sort of quantities should be deemed reasonable for personal consumption etc?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

So something is happening at least, what exactly does this mean for us though?

Same same for now, wait for public submission / opinion at which point we're able to make submissions and give feedback as to what sort of quantities should be deemed reasonable for personal consumption etc?

Same same until they publicly post the bill. Then we submit en-masse our thoughts on what they have come up with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, highchome said:

To sum up from the article; 

The original draft made no provision for selling dried cannabis, seeds, or plants – but did allow for South Africans to share, as long as it wasn't for remuneration. 

Such sharing was limited to 40 grams of dried dagga, 25 seeds, 10 seedlings, seven immature plants or three flowering plants.

It would be legal to carry 80 grams of dried cannabis under that draft.

At home, though, limitations would be less strict. The maximum "personal use" stash would be one kilogram, with home growers allowed to cultivate eight flowering plants or 16 immature plants.

• Like 2

Things are moving along nicely I would say - with regards to cannabis in ZA. The way I see it, those limitations and rules are basically a small step towards regulation, which means it's a step in the right direction.

8 flowering trees for a home Grower means you could set up a decent perpetual... But you just might need more houses to keep that 1kg in each

Thanks for the update guys. Exciting news really. Weren't some of you just chatting about trading clones and genetics? This would make it a whole lot easier.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

As someone who knows a little bit about the law and property leasing agreements, I can already see loopholes unless they have been accounted for. 

They will need to define "household", otherwise you can just "sign a lease" of one room in your house to a friend and boom. Your limits have doubled. Sign another lease and boom. Your limit has tripled. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

As someone who knows a little bit about the law and property leasing agreements, I can already see loopholes unless they have been accounted for. 
They will need to define "household", otherwise you can just "sign a lease" of one room in your house to a friend and boom. Your limits have doubled. Sign another lease and boom. Your limit has tripled. 
We need to have another members only subforum to discuss all our schemes, there's some real gold in these threads this is some of it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

"Cannabis" used instead of "dagga". That for me is a big win already.

Absolutely, and was actually thinking how my mother used to ask me, "is this Dagga?" And now since it cured her husband's cancer, she calls is, "marijuana" or "cannabis"

It actually boils down to one simple and very small thing, educating people.

Like on the Hot Box show the other night, we should not get arrested or go to jail for it, and the cops must start getting fines or charged if they harrassed you and arrested you for no reason, it's long time been thrown out of courts. 

Enough is enough now

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

An update:

It’s official: Cabinet wants to let you have 1.2kg of dagga at home – if you don’t live alone https://www.businessinsider.co.za/sas-cannabis-law-is-heading-for-parliament-heres-what-a-previous-draft-allowed-2020-8

The Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill has been published ahead of its submission in Parliament.

The draft law simultaneously criminalises smoking dagga in public or selling it, and sets limits on how much dried dagga individuals may own for private use.

In its current form, the law allows homes to have dagga stashes of 1.2 kilograms – as long as at least two adults live there.

Singletons are limited to 600 grams.

South Africans will be allowed to give one another 100 grams of dried dagga at a time, or 30 seeds, as long as they do so for free.

For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.

* This article has been updated throughout.

A draft law that lays out the details of legal dagga posession in South Africa has now been published ahead of its submission to Parliament.

The Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill is a successor to what was previously called the Regulation of Cannabis Bill, when it was circulated among some interested parties during 2019.

The new draft, now approved by cabinet, has seen no significant structural changes, but sets different limits on what will be considered too much dagga to qualify as being for personal use.

The Bill set a maximum jail term of 15 years for anyone who deals in cannabis, or provides it to a child. 

Anyone who smokes dagga in public, or too close to a window, or "in the immediate presence of any non-consenting adult person" may be jailed for up to two years. Smoking dagga around children, on the other hand, can come with up to four years in jail.

Cannabis is defined as anything containing the psychoactive THC, and so would include vaping of dagga-derived liquids.

Possessing commercial and "trafficable" quantities of dagga would remain criminal if the law were passed in its current form.

Legal limits for personal, legal use at home are set to:

unlimited for seeds and seedlings

four flowering plants for those living alone, or eight for homes with two adults or more

600 grams of dried cannabis if you live alone, or 1.2 kilograms in homes with two or more adults.

In public places, possession is set to 100 grams of cannabis or one flowering plant.

For purposes of exchange between individuals – as long as there is absolutely no remuneration involved – limits are set to:

30 seeds or seedlings, or a mixture of the two

one flowering plant

100 grams of dry cannabis.

The draft law sets up a system of equivalency in which two immature cannabis plants equal one flowering plant, and five grams of fresh cannabis is equal to one gram of dried product. That means people will be able to exchange up to half a kilogram of fresh dagga in public, or may gift each other two immature plants.

* This article was updated throughout after publication of the Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill, to replace information drawn from an older, unofficial draft of the Bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

What I'm hearing is a 8 plant 1.2kg yield challenge 😗

As stoked as I am to hear the amounts, which I think is bloody fantastic. 100g possession allowance in public? That's great! Means you can get your 1.2kg stash from house to house in only 12 trips! 😆

What I find interesting is that these 600g for singleton, 1.2kg per household numbers were already somewhat leaked in the beginning of the year. Then it seemed like a dream, I am glad that it stuck through.

I am going to go through the actual bill .pdf and if I find something noteworthy I'll post about it. I'll attach it here as well. 2020-CannabisBill.pdf

So far so good I think. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

My loophole stands.

"dwelling" means any part of a formal or informal structure that is occupied as a residence, or any part of a structure or outdoor living area that is accessory to, and used principally for the purposes of, a residence;

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dubi said:

2 plants over 15 cm count as a flowering plant. Was in my deleted schedule.

No. What you posted were equivalencies which will be used by police officers to determine whether you are within the limits or not. 

Maybe type out your posts next time. 

• Agree 1

I think it's important to highlight an aspect of this legislation, and that is the upper limits of what might land you in some serious trouble.

For singletons, 6-8 cannabis plants could get you a fine and 6 years imprisonment. 9+ could get you a fine and 15 years imprisonment. 

For households (2+ people), 12-17 cannabis plants could get you a fine and 6 years imprisonment. 18+ could get you a fine and 15 years imprisonment. 

I'll post the sections so @Dubi can follow:

upperlimits.thumb.JPG.6f7b2fe3d7193011afa86fc5a7056b55.JPG

offences.JPG.bede0b3f147ee8d2f8b0cb99d15cc645.JPG

penalties.JPG.01717c15255a03838b868fffbd776ffd.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dubi said:

Me 1 person. 4 flowering plants... As many seedlings as i like... How many plants bigger as a seedling on my property?

Two immature cannabis plants are equal to one cannabis plant. So you as a singleton are allowed 4 flowering cannabis plants. Therefore you are allowed 8 immature cannabis plants and must then cull 4 of them before they start flowering fully.

This means that the drafters understand the concept of selecting cannabis plants whether to isolate males/females or for basic pheno hunting. 

1 minute ago, Dubi said:

You have a limit per kilogram per household. You will collect rent and they can help with the watering.

The terminology is dwelling, and can be any part of a residential structure ie room; apartment.

So if someone signs a lease agreement for a single room in a five bedroom house, that room alone can cultivate cannabis within the limits of a singleton, unless it's two people then it's the limits for 2+ people in a single dwelling. 

Which means the other 4 rooms in the same house would collectively be within the 2+ category, assuming two or more people reside in any of those 4 rooms.

• Like 1

• 420SA unpinned this topic