Why do we measure our harvest the way we do?

CreX

why do we measure our harvest the way we do?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How do you measure your progress from one grow to the next , or even just your success on any given grow?

• Grams per Watt
    • Grams per Square meter/foot

I by no means have enough experience to even begin to judge which way to decide that. But I thought possibly per meter m2 because that takes all limiting factors out of account. But yeah I read some guys doing insane m2 yields. Surely everything has to be spot on when breaking the 500 mark, Or that could be easy for some. 

Like I say, not an expert. But love to hear what people think increase the success ratio the most. 

To answer the question because I went way off topic. I would say I would be happy with growing something that makes me proud I guess and progress from there.

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, GGG said:

@CreX, help me understand your Q,......how do I rate my grows against other on here/out there?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

well, once you have completed a grow and you have dried and jarred your bud, got it at the right RH, and finally weighed it, you will get how many grams your harvest produced.

now you can use that info with the info of how many watts your light is, and what size your grow area is in feet or m2... 

eg. if you had one plant, and it yeilded 50g for you, but you had it under a 150w light.

your Grams per watt value will be 0.333 not exactly a steller result but 50g is still good for one plant right? 

but now, you only had space for 1 plant (60x60), and only had the 150 as your option, you can use the grams per sqm to better gage how well your space does.

60x60 is roughly 4sqft, so 50/4 is 12.5 - again not a great result for the space.

but say thats what you got the first run. you can take the figure of 0.333 gpw and 12.5gpsqft and compare it to what other growers are getting per sqft and per wat of light.

noting that a grower worth his salt would be able to squeeze 1gpw from the 150w light, and in that same space the good grower would have trippled the 12.5 to  37.5gpsqft 

much more respectable figures

• Like 1

well, once you have completed a grow and you have dried and jarred your bud, got it at the right RH, and finally weighed it, you will get how many grams your harvest produced.
now you can use that info with the info of how many watts your light is, and what size your grow area is in feet or m2... 
eg. if you had one plant, and it yeilded 50g for you, but you had it under a 150w light.
your Grams per watt value will be 0.333 not exactly a steller result but 50g is still good for one plant right? 
but now, you only had space for 1 plant (60x60), and only had the 150 as your option, you can use the grams per sqm to better gage how well your space does.
60x60 is roughly 4sqft, so 50/4 is 12.5 - again not a great result for the space.
but say thats what you got the first run. you can take the figure of 0.333 gpw and 12.5gpsqft and compare it to what other growers are getting per sqft and per wat of light.
noting that a grower worth his salt would be able to squeeze 1gpw from the 150w light, and in that same space the good grower would have trippled the 12.5 to  37.5gpsqft 
much more respectable figures
Aaah, I just did a 1,1G/W but only 375g/SQM sooo I would like to get to 1,5G/W and 500g/SQM, lots to improve on. I'm trying a scrog now to see if I can get there.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

At the moment I am using grams per watt, just cause. I haven't really thought about it since learning how to grow. The gold standard that's usually plastered everywhere is to achieve a gram per watt, but I find myself now trying to achieve awesome buds over quantity, so I haven't paid much attention to it. 

When I gear myself towards quantity, most likely from my next grow onwards, I'd probably start using gram per square meter. I'd like to fully utilise my space so it feels like the right "gauge" to use.

I'm easy mahn :-rasta

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

So it really comes down to efficiency and best utilizing the space and the lights. For outdoor it's not really applicable, except for grams per sqm I guess but you cannot compare an outdoor grow to an indoor grow.

Grams per watts

Grams per sqm

One could throw in watts per sqm to give a better idea as well.

They're different measurements, one being how efficient your lighting is (grams per watts) and the other about how efficiently you used the space (grams per sqm).

Ultimately you'd like to try find a happy medium between everything really.

@CreX I think this is what you're wanting to get at? Perhaps we create a spin off thread on this actually.

Figures on my last grow were as follows:

Grams per watt: 1.55g

Grams per sqm: 373.33g

Watts per sqm: 240w

I feel I could have done better as I could have made better use of the space by having an extra 2 plants in there and I feel I could have improved on the yield by running strains which had a higher yield.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 7:02 PM, PsyCLown said:

but you cannot compare an outdoor grow to an indoor grow 

They're different measurements, one being how efficient your lighting is (grams per watts) and the other about how efficiently you used the space (grams per sqm).

@PsyCLownThis could be applied outdoors too!! As outdoors the better you train your plant, the more light it receives, more bud as a result (this the equivalent of how well space is used indoors/gram per sqm) but outdoors i guess could be measured as grams per 384.6 yotta watts lol  

how well you used space can be defined like @oros da boss mentioned grams per litre/pot size, its actually a brilliant idea as pot size is strongly linked to plant size if everyone grows same strain then judging the most efficient won't be opinion but based on figures

Just as important for outdoor growers to have a metric to be able to gauge efficiency & keep improving/push the envelope

Edited by Psylecta
Forgot tag
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Psylecta said:

@PsyCLownThis could be applied outdoors too!! As outdoors the better you train your plant, the more light it receives, more bud as a result (this the equivalent of how well space is used indoors/gram per sqm) but outdoors i guess could be measured as grams per 384.6 yotta watts lol  

how well you used space can be defined like @oros da boss mentioned grams per litre/pot size, its actually a brilliant idea as pot size is strongly linked to plant size if everyone grows same strain then judging the most efficient won't be opinion but based on figures

Just as important for outdoor growers to have a metric to be able to gauge efficiency & keep improving/push the envelope

This is true, one could base their outdoor grow on the size of the pot I guess.

Although light won't really work, also space wise is a bit tricky to measure the space the plant is using outdoors.

But you are right, there certainly are some measurements one could use.

• Like 1

My last autoflower run I got 365g off 3 small plants under a 240w QB running at 75%. I reckon had i utilized the space correctly, i woulda gotten more.

Lighting is a huge factor in your tent, but i think your overall environment is more important. Optimal conditions is what cranks out the yield in my case. I've noticed the differences when growing in different seasons. I'm with @Ill_Evan, quality over quantity.

• Like 3

My goal is always to reach 1000g per square meter. But also try to reduce the wattage used. My personal record stands on 2.45g per watt. Is not one or the other, i measure both to keep track if i move in the right direction. 

Friend just pulled 200g from a amnesia haze auto in switzerland... hehehe i never reached that.. time to up my game 😁

• Like 5