Built, Not Bought

TheUltimateNoob

Thanks man Yep I also dig the wiring, hope the epoxy holds up, but the wire is pretty stiff so should hold the shape well

I over-bought some things I didn’t end up needing, like many T-bolts and nuts and washers, 90 degree brackets, waterproof cable joiners, wrong guage wire, and too much wire. Taking all this out it was definitely cheaper though. And I can use the spares on future projects.

But I am super happy with it, very good spread and very bright. I just need to add a potentiometer for dimming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, so it worked out cheaper and you have some extra bits now

Very nice build bro. One for the books. Although - you were right - I would dial it a bit back with the size of the extrusions

Looks like it was necessary for those strips though

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

These were cheap ACDC boards. The 5 boards cost just under 400bucks altogether. 
Hey there bud, keeping well I hope. When you say the boards, is that the board the lights are attached to or the board including the light and what do you call it. I'm looking for a diy until I can upgrade and add to my QB75 bar through@growopz.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

It's those spot lights the guys are using for Veg, they sell them from 50W to 150W for like R300 to 400 depending, under correction.

They seem decent, but the thing I worried about was how they lasted as they made without a fan, plus the diodes are unknown and you dont test how long they keep their full brightness for from new as they age over time.

Added, see its these boards...dont know them

IMG-20200808-WA0001.thumb.jpg.7c6c308c79e5834a9d394274ada16ed3.jpg

Edited by StickyD420
Added

3 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Please share with us the deets? @1000Hills Nursery

Obviously not cost, but specs and such,

I see 5 section or pods on a plate, each with a ring, are they lenses or another light and the color temps 

5 ring boards 45W each 4200K

4 ring board 36W 6000K.

I haven't checked actual power draw. 

All mounted onto a thin aluminum plate. Doubles as a heat mat for germinating seeds/clone dome. 

So this light was built to veg the keepers which don't need alot of light. The ring is a lens over the diodes. I've been meaning to remove it but just never got around to doing as this light as is vegs very impressively and I spend minimal time in this tent. I've ended up using the other diy light for the keepers and this light for vegging plants about to be flipped. This light has been ON 24/7 since December I think. Every diode still works. 

In general to anyone else reading this, this light is not capable of flowering. For one incorrect spectrum. And then actual power is probably questionable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 ring boards 45W each 4200K
4 ring board 36W 6000K.
I haven't checked actual power draw. 
All mounted onto a thin aluminum plate. Doubles as a heat mat for germinating seeds/clone dome. 
So this light was built to veg the keepers which don't need alot of light. The ring is a lens over the diodes. I've been meaning to remove it but just never got around to doing as this light as is vegs very impressively and I spend minimal time in this tent. I've ended up using the other diy light for the keepers and this light for vegging plants about to be flipped. This light has been ON 24/7 since December I think. Every diode still works. 
In general to anyone else reading this, this light is not capable of flowering. For one incorrect spectrum. And then actual power is probably questionable. 

Thanks for the info @1000Hills Nursery. That's a clever idea doubling the light as a veg matt.
Am I correct in understanding that veg stage does not need a lot of light.
I have 205w of cfl's in my veg cabinet, is that overkill?

1 hour ago, DamDave said:

Am I correct in understanding that veg stage does not need a lot of light

Yes and No. With a little light you can keep plants in veg alive and growing slowly. With more light you get faster growth and tighter internodal spaces. There are many other contributing factors to this. 

2 hours ago, DamDave said:

I have 205w of cfl's in my veg cabinet, is that overkill?

Probably not seeing seeing as cfl's have to be quite close to the plant. 

• Like 1

I hope you are making as much use of the sun in the mean time? 
CFLs are the concentration camps of lighting
Man that is a sore point. I had to stop doing that for now. Although the sun is out the temperature out here on the reservation is still freezing with the wind chill factor. Not to mention the strong gust's that blow every so often.
Then in summer it's fcuk'ng hot, hence my outdoor grow is usually in a shade house. Busy setting up a permaculture area for a few plants that I hope will give them a bit of protection and natural nutrients from the surrounding herbs and plants.
Waiting for the September full moon to plant the mother herb and in a year or two I should have a nice oasis with a stream running through in which to relax and enjoy a spliff.
Exciting times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Man that is a sore point. I had to stop doing that for now. Although the sun is out the temperature out here on the reservation is still freezing with the wind chill factor. Not to mention the strong gust's that blow every so often.
Then in summer it's fcuk'ng hot, hence my outdoor grow is usually in a shade house. Busy setting up a permaculture area for a few plants that I hope will give them a bit of protection and natural nutrients from the surrounding herbs and plants.
Waiting for the September full moon to plant the mother herb and in a year or two I should have a nice oasis with a stream running through in which to relax and enjoy a spliff.
Exciting times.

I'll be around to watch it all happen brother 🙏😎😉

• Like 3

Hey howzit@TheUltimateNoob. Sorry bud, just realized I've changed the topic of this thread, I'm sitting in a corner now with a spliff as punishment for the bad deed.
I'll start a permaculture thread soon as there is only a row of corn at the moment. It's gonna be a long haul though. A year or two before the 7 canopy layer will be readish.
Back to your built or bought, I would not know how to classify the . Gifted maybe.
Sorry once again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey howzit@TheUltimateNoob. Sorry bud, just realized I've changed the topic of this thread, I'm sitting in a corner now with a spliff as punishment for the bad deed.

I'll start a permaculture thread soon as there is only a row of corn at the moment. It's gonna be a long haul though. A year or two before the 7 canopy layer will be readish.

Back to your built or bought, I would not know how to classify the . Gifted maybe.

Sorry once again.

Awe awe, no worries bro, as long as you getting some useful info.

Haha, hope that spliff did its job Someone will come along and drop another build in time

Will follow along with your thread man. I like watching how people upgrade their stuff, and read their reactions afterwards, lol. Takes me back to when I could afford the upgrades I wanted

Gifted for sure ... There's over 2000umols of light anywhere outside on a clear, sunny day... And that would be anywhere in direct sunlight.

So whatever safe chance you get to take advantage of the sun, take it.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Hardly a build, managed to free up the time to put them together. Not done just yet, want to isolate the drivers from the boards and run fans on the heat sinks to keep them extra cool, but everything works good for now. Weekends looking gooooood!

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Bro. U bought more lights?

Liontree

Leds

And these?