Bending stems

PuffPuffPass

hi peeps 

I'm sure this isn't anything to worry a out but I just want to check, as a new (very new) grower.

This is a Apple Sundae strain which is bending at the stem, but the leaves are still growing and pointing up right, using a T5 about 10cm away from the plant, not stretching just bending.  Any idea why this happens? Plant is 2 weeks old and the stem is about 2cm-3cm.

I'm a bit worried about it as the other plant growing is exactly the same age but twice the size and growing strong and straight up, blueberry CBD. ill add a pic of that one in a comment

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated 🙏 

Am I just a worried new parent lol 

20200730_130517.jpg

• Like 1

Seedlings can bend like that if their roots are to shallow following a transplant. Wind or weight of water can bend them too.
Don't spray them with water, the weight of the water on the leaves bends them over.
Rather pour in a 15cm ring around the seedling to stimulate the roots to go ''look'' for water.
Have had a few like that but they recovered without ill effect.

If you want- you can gently straighten the stem and ''build'' a cone around the stem to keep it upright/supported.
(don't snap the stem!!)
The leaves will be crooked, but will eventually straighten as it follows the sun/light.
Up to you.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Seedlings can bend like that if their roots are to shallow following a transplant. Wind or weight of water can bend them too.
Don't spray them with water, the weight of the water on the leaves bends them over.
Rather pour in a 15cm ring around the seedling to stimulate the roots to go ''look'' for water.
Have had a few like that but they recovered without ill effect.

If you want- you can gently straighten the stem and ''build'' a cone around the stem to keep it upright/supported.
(don't snap the stem!!)
The leaves will be crooked, but will eventually straighten as it follows the sun/light.
Up to you.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Bospatrollie2appreciate the feedback! 

have a good one

What's uuuup! 

Yea man you don't have to stress at all... 

It's quite a fine line for burying seeds, few mm too deep and they never come out... Few mm too shallow and they put their excess energy into a long stem. 

Which isn't bad... I mean... They are alive hehe 

I would leave the stem as is and only adjust if if it's laying horizontal. 

At an angle and you have nothing to worry about... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreX said:

What's uuuup! 

Yea man you don't have to stress at all... 

It's quite a fine line for burying seeds, few mm too deep and they never come out... Few mm too shallow and they put their excess energy into a long stem. 

Which isn't bad... I mean... They are alive hehe 

I would leave the stem as is and only adjust if if it's laying horizontal. 

At an angle and you have nothing to worry about... 

ah great thanks for that!

really appreciate the feedback

Ill stop being so paranoid lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StickyD420 said:

Hands of Evan, its smaller than you😂

Someone's in a good mood tonight 🤷‍♂️

Did you know you're not allowed to play tennis during this lockdown? Golf yes. Tennis no. 

The day started terribly but now we are in a better place :-meditate

• Confused 1

Just now, Ill_Evan said:

Did you know you're not allowed to play tennis during this lockdown? Golf yes. Tennis no. 

The day started terribly but now we are in a better place :-meditate

Hectic, does that include table tennis?

Cause if so, that's just not cricket 👀

Ah man, so glad your day got better, mine just did too and was a horrible day my side as well. Where is that reset button???😬

59 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Hectic, does that include table tennis?

Cause if so, that's just not cricket 👀

Ah man, so glad your day got better, mine just did too and was a horrible day my side as well. Where is that reset button???😬

Reset button, also known as a good blunt 👌 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PuffPuffPass said:

Reset button, also known as a good blunt 👌 

Absolutely brother, tonight's dose has been a good 3 grams so far...

I'd also while here like to apologise for our semi hijacking of this thread, we tend to start conversations most nights, just where we are at the time.

Please join in or us, and shout if you ever need help as we are here for you, and we appreciate having you here brother. 

Added,

@Ill_Evan I need to do a tolerance break too soon, just not feeling full dank no more😥

I see you were serious about tennis, sorry man, you wanted to play I take it and thought you making jokes.

Edited by StickyD420
Added
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PuffPuffPass said:

20200730_130517.jpg

From my point of view, I see what happened the other day to me, the seedling laying over, and was due to dry medium, in my case the rockwool block inside the soil was dry and the soil wet, and roots not in the soil yet properly. 

Your medium looks super dry for a coco based mix, and wilting from being dry or thirsty. 

If all of ot is coco, then my understanding is it's way past dry, and needs water badly to fix the bending seedling. But I can be wrong though.

Edited by StickyD420

9 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

From my point of view, I see what happened the other day to me, the seedling laying over, and was due to dry medium, in my case the rockwool block inside the soil was dry and the soil wet, and roots not in the soil yet properly. 

Your medium looks super dry for a coco based mix, and wilting from being dry or thirsty. 

If all of ot is coco, then my understanding is it's way past dry, and needs water badly to fix the bending seedling. But I can be wrong though.

Ok cool will do, I see the top few cm are dry but the moisture monitor thingy says its moist a bit lower down 20L pot

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Absolutely brother, tonight's dose has been a good 3 grams so far...

I'd also while here like to apologise for our semi hijacking of this thread, we tend to start conversations most nights, just where we are at the time.

Please join in or us, and shout if you ever need help as we are here for you, and we appreciate having you here brother. 

Added,

@Ill_Evan I need to do a tolerance break too soon, just not feeling full dank no more😥

I see you were serious about tennis, sorry man, you wanted to play I take it and thought you making jokes.

big pleasure bro, good laugh 😆 

• Haha 1

Just now, PuffPuffPass said:

Ok cool will do, I see the top few cm are dry but the moisture monitor thingy says its moist a bit lower down 20L pot

I dont trust those moisture monitors, they have been known to be a little out. You also dont want to put them at the bottom, as the soil will be wet there but dry on top and that medium is definitely dry at the seedling base and roots.

You dont need to water the whole pot yet, just at the seedling area and base, but slowly watering wider as times goes, for the roots to search out the water, but not yet or your medium wont dry out below and you'll have to water the top and it can cause overwatering issues. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

I dont trust those moisture monitors, they have been known to be a little out. You also dont want to put them at the bottom, as the soil will be wet there but dry on top and that medium is definitely dry at the seedling base and roots.

You dont need to water the whole pot yet, just at the seedling area and base, but slowly watering wider as times goes, for the roots to search out the water, but not yet or your medium wont dry out below and you'll have to water the top and it can cause overwatering issues. 

Ah I see, thanks for the advice ill give it a go 

Makes sense, I just checked it now, its bone dry

• Like 1

Yo peeps shot for the advice, I waited patiently and added more water in the circle. The little dude has shot up straight and popped out a few more leaves. Looking good, iv just watered in the circle again, so looking sharp... 

One more question though when do I know that I need to add molasses? 

20200801_213453.jpg

• Like 2