Easy, decent soil mix

Hey guys. 

i need to make my own soil mix. Preferably, out of easy to obtain ingredients only. 

please drop your recipes, and reason for using each ingredient, in the comments below. 

P.S. i have a very big compost heap in the garden, but its full of bugs, beetle larvae etc. should i rather use something a little less alive? Or is there an easy way to remove all them undesirables? 

thanks in advance. Speedy replies would be appreciated as im buying all the ingredients this weekend   

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM, Rob189 said:

Hey guys. 

i need to make my own soil mix. Preferably, out of easy to obtain ingredients only. 

please drop your recipes, and reason for using each ingredient, in the comments below. 

P.S. i have a very big compost heap in the garden, but its full of bugs, beetle larvae etc. should i rather use something a little less alive? Or is there an easy way to remove all them undesirables? 

thanks in advance. Speedy replies would be appreciated as im buying all the ingredients this weekend   

Hello Rob, you can order all the bits online. 

I would use my own compost, rather than store bought, every time. If you have got a worm bin going then use those castings too.

50 litre coco. Washed and buffered. You must soak and rinse it twice to remove the excess salts

20 litre Biogreen universal potting mix. A blend of composted wood and peat. Use it straight out of the bag.

15 litre leaf mould compost.

10 litre worm casting.

125 ml 3-1-5 talborne vita pellets

25 ml gypsum. Gardener's gold dust

100 ml calcitic lime

250 ml ground kelp

250ml bone meal

125 ml rock phosphate

250 ml rock dust

50 ml malted barley

50ml coconut powder

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help guys. 

Turns out that my local nursery stocks Just Cannabis soil. Not sure how good it is, but i bought a bag for R300. 

Will be using it for my  first grow. That gives me time to make my own soil mix the TLO way for the next grow (hopefully with clones) 

Only about a 1/3 of the the way through the book, but it's been very informative thus far 👌🏻

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys. 

Turns out that my local nursery stocks Just Cannabis soil. Not sure how good it is, but i bought a bag for R300. 

Will be using it for my  first grow. That gives me time to make my own soil mix the TLO way for the next grow (hopefully with clones) 

Only about a 1/3 of the the way through the book, but it's been very informative thus far
How much soil was in that bag? For R300 it better be a lot of soil.