Help! Newbie preparing for Spring grow - advice required

PapaSpliff

9 hours ago, zairek said:

Avoid a black bucket or paint it white, black plastic gets incredibly hot. Plant growth will be stunted. I personally will go fabric, but with twice the capacity of a bucket >40l. 

@zairek  Thanks for that bit of information cos I thought black buckets were better... 

@zairek  Thanks for that bit of information cos I thought black buckets were better... 

The reason black buckets are better is because they block out more light from getting to your roots than any other color.

The reason they're not that great in the sun is because black absorbs heat, and you don't want to cook your roots.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

The reason black buckets are better is because they block out more light from getting to your roots than any other color.

The reason they're not that great in the sun is because black absorbs heat, and you don't want to cook your roots.

Interesting opinions...🤔 Gotta weigh up the pros and cons I suppose... 

Interesting opinions... Gotta weigh up the pros and cons I suppose... 

Yeah that's what it's all about.

You could just leave a bucket of sand outside and monitor it to see how much it warms up with a thermometer of some sorts, then just compare to see if it stays below the maximum the root zone can handle.

I've seen so many grows online with buckets outside but I've never thought about it too much because I don't grow outdoors.

Can the same living soil be used for multiple grows (freedom farm premium classic soil)?

If so, how do I prepare it for the next grow?

Are there any special organic amendments that I need to add before the next grow?

Or can I just pop in the next seedling and use the biobizz nutrients to grow the next plant?

Can the same living soil be used for multiple grows (freedom farm premium classic soil)?
If so, how do I prepare it for the next grow?
Are there any special organic amendments that I need to add before the next grow?
Or can I just pop in the next seedling and use the biobizz nutrients to grow the next plant?
The Premium will not last long and a second run without ammendments will not work unless you use it as a plain coco medium and go with the Biobizz range from the start ( I haven't used Biobizz as yet), other members need to advise cause if you amend with worm castings and compost it might work.
Are you able to buy new soil and start from scratch?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

You mostly only use the soil once, unless amendments are added again.

You can get them from guys here, the Barley. And then I have got most my products from Organic Matters directly, Futurama too have the range. Gypsum, Insect frass, fulvic and humic acid and others

@PapaSpliff probably easier and simpler and less of a risk. To just get another bag of soil bro.

Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

@PapaSpliff, Jamie's garden shop sells a amend bag. You add 10-30 ml to 1L of used soil. It's basically soil without the coco/perlite.
Sometimes we complicate things to much also, nature knows HER way.
There are realy nice Living soils availible ready to use if you need to start growing and you don't have time for experimenting now, or do a side by side with mixing your own and buying soil

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GGG said:

The Premium will not last long and a second run without ammendments will not work unless you use it as a plain coco medium and go with the Biobizz range from the start ( I haven't used Biobizz as yet), other members need to advise cause if you amend with worm castings and compost it might work.

Thanks for the advice guys@GGG @afternoon blazer @StickyD420 👍👊

I'm gonna buy new living soil cos this is my first organic grow. I just wanted to see what options I had for next time around...

If the soil quality is not compromised, it might be cheaper to reuse this living soil for a second run. But I have some time until I reach that stage so I will research this a bit further...

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, GGG said:

Hey guys. I have been looking at the Jiffy pellets to propagate my seedlings, and I noticed that there are 2 types.

One is the Jiffy pellet made from sphagnum peat, whilst the other is Jiffy C Coir pellet. 

Does it matter which pellet option I choose if my final medium is going to be organic living soil?? 

Your advice is appreciated as always...

Hey guys. I have been looking at the Jiffy pellets to propagate my seedlings, and I noticed that there are 2 types.

One is the Jiffy pellet made from sphagnum peat, whilst the other is Jiffy C Coir pellet. 

Does it matter which pellet option I choose if my final medium is going to be organic living soil?? 

I would vote that it doesn't matter

• Agree 1

Both the pellets should work for germination.
We are growing perpetual outdoor basically, I reuse all my soil.
Growing chillies, grenadilla, guavadilla, sweet pototoes and tomatoes.

Do batches of about 500lit every 3-4 months, amend with bonemeal, dolomite lime, composted manure and own compost(and whatever else looks good)and let cook for 3 months.
It can be done if you prepared to swing a spade and sweat a bit.
Our plants are happy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

15 hours ago, PapaSpliff said:

Howzit bro. 

There are seed starter plugs that is much more reccomended then the jiffy starters.

Its dark brown. Apparently alot better in quality. And its about a rand or 2 more then the jiffy.

Maybe try that. Since u wana give ur seeds the best possible start.

20200709_141528.jpg

2 hours ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Both the pellets should work for germination.
We are growing perpetual outdoor basically, I reuse all my soil.
Growing chillies, grenadilla, guavadilla, sweet pototoes and tomatoes.

Do batches of about 500lit every 3-4 months, amend with bonemeal, dolomite lime, composted manure and own compost(and whatever else looks good)and let cook for 3 months.
It can be done if you prepared to swing a spade and sweat a bit.
Our plants are happy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info👊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, afternoon blazer said:

Howzit bro. 

There are seed starter plugs that is much more reccomended then the jiffy starters.

Its dark brown. Apparently alot better in quality. And its about a rand or 2 more then the jiffy.

Maybe try that. Since u wana give ur seeds the best possible start.

20200709_141528.jpg

Will look into this, thanks👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys. I just wanted to end this thread by say a big Thank You for all of the advice and guidance in helping me get ready for my spring grow👊

My orders just got delivered. I settled on the Freedom Farms soil, Biobizz nutes and the Jiffy starter plugs. 

I received my seeds from Bud Buddies. Super lemon haze and purple urkle photoperiods and a few autos.

All set and ready to go👍

Wish everyone a great growing season ahead...✌️

IMG_20200906_211933.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Sup guys.

Just wanted to close off this thread by saying thanks to all that provided me with guidance and advice during this past season👍I have certainly been enlightened and can't wait for the next outdoor season to begin...

I managed to grow 3 strains:

Super Lemon Haze (Green House Seeds)

IMG_20210328_120928.thumb.jpg.0a2a8ed20df5e54824d739920a23bdcf.jpg

IMG_20210328_121132.thumb.jpg.89e88e7715377237c8ce88d9eba6c3ab.jpg

Purple Urkle (Bud Buddies)

IMG_20210328_142406.thumb.jpg.11d153e49bda387f7569f634d7ba02c4.jpg

IMG_20210328_121503.thumb.jpg.5af98036aa43ccb047fa8f379eaf0c7c.jpg

Blue Dream (Bagseed)

IMG_20210328_142532.thumb.jpg.52da19c425b2b310348a78a6aa1439d8.jpg

Screenshot_2021-03-27-13-39-12-937_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.b3fb5781d7aa0b23ca67652540047dcf.jpg

All plants have been harvested and are busy curing...

I've already dipped into the blue dream and I'm really happy with the result...👌

Thanks once again and hope you all have a great harvest as well...✌️

• Like 3