Help! Newbie preparing for Spring grow - advice required

PapaSpliff

With Spring around the corner, I need some advice on planning my grow to get the best possible results.

My limitations are that I will be growing Outdoors, in a Pot, under the Sun.

So this is where I need your advice and guidance:

Pots: 20 litre paint bucket with drainage holes, Air pot or Fabric pot?

Medium: regular Potting soil, or something more specific for cannabis (please suggest brands)? Does the type of soil matter if I'm gonna use nutes?

Nutrients: Been looking around and came across Nutriplex, EasyHydroGrow (EHG), BioBizz, General Hydroponics (GHE)... Any suggestions???

pH testing Kit/pH meter Pen/ pH Up&Down: Is this necessary?

Any and all advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated...

With Spring around the corner, I need some advice on planning my grow to get the best possible results.

My limitations are that I will be growing Outdoors, in a Pot, under the Sun.

So this is where I need your advice and guidance:

Pots: 20 litre paint bucket with drainage holes, Air pot or Fabric pot?

Medium: regular Potting soil, or something more specific for cannabis (please suggest brands)? Does the type of soil matter if I'm gonna use nutes?

Nutrients: Been looking around and came across Nutriplex, EasyHydroGrow (EHG), BioBizz, General Hydroponics (GHE)... Any suggestions???

pH testing Kit/pH meter Pen/ pH Up&Down: Is this necessary?

Any and all advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated...

Container: I would go with a bucket, because having a fabric pot outside will dry your medium out really quickly due to the increased air permeability of the pot walls.

Medium: Craft soil for Cannabis is your best option here... You can go with a base mix with some amendments, then use salt or organic based nutrients. Other option would be living soil (IMO this is better for planting in a pot outdoors).

Nutrients: If you really want to, GHE Flora & BioBizz are the most user-friendly I believe. I would go with some Microbe tea in living soil for this kind of run, it would be easier to maintain due and feed.

pH testing: Essential if growing in a pot and you aren't going with living soil (Living soil kind of buffers out the pH to where you plant needs it to be, and generally just needs to be watered with some dechlorinated tap water - although you can feed the microbial life to boost their nutrient production). You can dechlorinate water by leaving it in a covered, opened container for 24-48hrs

Edited by TheUltimateNoob
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Container: I would go with a bucket, because having a fabric pot outside will dry your medium out really quickly due to the increased air permeability of the pot walls.

Medium: Craft soil for Cannabis is your best option here... You can go with a base mix with some amendments, then use salt or organic based nutrients. Other option would be living soil (IMO this is better for planting in a pot outdoors).

Nutrients: If you really want to, GHE Flora & BioBizz are the most user-friendly I believe. I would go with some Microbe tea in living soil for this kind of run, it would be easier to maintain due and feed.

pH testing: Essential if growing in a pot and you aren't going with living soil (Living soil kind of buffers out the pH to where you plant needs it to be, and generally just needs to be watered with some dechlorinated tap water - although you can feed the microbial life to boost their nutrient production). You can dechlorinate water by leaving it in a covered, opened container for 24-48hrs

@TheUltimateNoob  Thanks for the great advice - much appreciated 👊

Sorry, but I'm quite dof when it comes to the medium and nutes. What is the difference between organic soil and living soil? Are they the same?? When you mention amendments, salt and organic nutes what exactly do they mean?? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PapaSpliff said:

@TheUltimateNoob  Thanks for the great advice - much appreciated 👊

Sorry, but I'm quite dof when it comes to the medium and nutes. What is the difference between organic soil and living soil? Are they the same?? When you mention amendments, salt and organic nutes what exactly do they mean?? 

All a question of the wallet 😁😁

Pot size matters. 20 liter for fems is little, for autos to much. If you have the money and water, go airpots or fabric pots.

Fertilizer same, if you dont mind, go BioBizz and Freedom Farm Premium Classic soil. 

With that combo you can skip the ph/ec and ppm pen.

Have 2 eyes on outdoor temp when you start. For the rest i wish you good luck! 

Use some quality seeds with those quality materials.. if you go bag seed. Get your stuff from the standard nursery and stay as cheap as you can. Result will be same.. cheap shit😂😎😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

@TheUltimateNoob  Thanks for the great advice - much appreciated

No problem.

Haha, it's pretty simple.

Organic soil just means that it has nutrient amendments produced from natural sources - however does not mean that it contains microbial life.

With organic soil you could add organic nutrients (made from natural sources), or nutrients that are salt-based (provided in their chemical salt form). Salt-based nutrients feed your tree directly.

Living soil on the other hand has a ton of beneficial microbes that produce nutrients from the stuff in the soil and you would use organic nutrients or additives to feed the microbes in the soil to boost nutrient production for your tree in the medium.

You shouldn't use salt-based nutes in living soil because it will eventually stop the symbiotic relationship between your tree and the microbes, eventually leading to the microbe life dying off completely by starvation.

*Living soil is usually Organic, but not all Organic soil is living!*

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you are starting out and you want to mix your own soil there is some amendment packs availible around. One that I can think of right now is availible from Jamies garden shop. How big do you want you plant to be? The bigger your pot the bigger the plant. My last grow I used 40~70l fabric pots. Depending on your experience just set up an irrigation system then you only have to worry about filling the reservoir and you don't have to worry about watering every day. I am lazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

If you are starting out and you want to mix your own soil there is some amendment packs availible around. One that I can think of right now is availible from Jamies garden shop. How big do you want you plant to be? The bigger your pot the bigger the plant. My last grow I used 40~70l fabric pots. Depending on your experience just set up an irrigation system then you only have to worry about filling the reservoir and you don't have to worry about watering every day. I am lazy.

@SkunkPharm  Thanks for the response 👍 Personally with my limited growing experience, I feel like mixing my own soil and setting up an irrigation system will be like punching out of my weight class😂 However this is something I will keep in mind for future grows...👊

Edited by PapaSpliff

3 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

No problem.

Haha, it's pretty simple.

Organic soil just means that it has nutrient amendments produced from natural sources - however does not mean that it contains microbial life.

With organic soil you could add organic nutrients (made from natural sources), or nutrients that are salt-based (provided in their chemical salt form). Salt-based nutrients feed your tree directly.

Living soil on the other hand has a ton of beneficial microbes that produce nutrients from the stuff in the soil and you would use organic nutrients or additives to feed the microbes in the soil to boost nutrient production for your tree in the medium.

You shouldn't use salt-based nutes in living soil because it will eventually stop the symbiotic relationship between your tree and the microbes, eventually leading to the microbe life dying off completely by starvation.

*Living soil is usually Organic, but not all Organic soil is living!*

Hey, thanks for providing clarity on the mediums. Seems to me like the living soil is the way to go... Is freedom farm premium classic soil a good living soil to use?

What kind of nutes and/or additives would you suggest to enhance the living soil??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prom said:

All a question of the wallet 😁😁

Pot size matters. 20 liter for fems is little, for autos to much. If you have the money and water, go airpots or fabric pots.

Fertilizer same, if you dont mind, go BioBizz and Freedom Farm Premium Classic soil. 

Have 2 eyes on outdoor temp when you start. For the rest i wish you good luck! 

Use some quality seeds with those quality materials.. if you go bag seed. Get your stuff from the standard nursery and stay as cheap as you can. Result will be same.. cheap shit😂😎😁

@Prom  Thanks for the input. I'm starting to get a way forward for my grow. 

Which BioBizz nutes would you recommend from the range they have??

And when you say to keep an eye on the outside temperature, what should I be looking out for??

3 hours ago, PapaSpliff said:

@Prom  Thanks for the input. I'm starting to get a way forward for my grow. 

Which BioBizz nutes would you recommend from the range they have??

And when you say to keep an eye on the outside temperature, what should I be looking out for??

Freedom farms premium classic.

Biobizz - grow. Bloom. Topmax. Root juice. Fish mix

Ideal growing temps are in the 20's

Edited by afternoon blazer

3 hours ago, Fridgedoor said:

@PapaSpliffHi, in my experience the night temperture shouldn't be lower than 15 degrees Celsius otherwise your plants growth will slow down. Of course it depends a bit on the genetics you grow.

Maybe check the monthly average temperatures for your area and germinate accordingly.

@Fridgedoor  Thanks for the info - notes taken...👍

4 hours ago, afternoon blazer said:

Freedom farms premium classic.

Biobizz - grow. Bloom. Topmax. Root juice. Fish mix

Ideal growing temps are in the 20's

@afternoon blazer  Thanks for the info...

However, are all of those nutes really necessary to have a good grow, taking into consideration the top quality living soil being used?? 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PapaSpliff said:

@afternoon blazer  Thanks for the info...

However, are all of those nutes really necessary to have a good grow, taking into consideration the top quality living soil being used?? 

Thats what prom uses bro. I checked with him. He only grows auto currently. And they are some of the most banging grows i have come across. 

I bought auto seeds and a certain strain to start with because of him.

I didnt cough up as much on the nutez though. 

Edited by afternoon blazer
More info

On 7/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, Prom said:

Hey man

I'm about to pull the trigger on a ph pen since I'm gearing up for my first outdoor grow. I'm on balcony with a lot of afternoon sun. Was planning to run in fabric pots but after seeing the point about water I'm thinking hmmmm. Could you please expand on the no need for ph/ec meter thing? I currently filter my water with some kuro bo activated charcoal. Plants seem to love it thus far. 

Please help and sorry for the thread hijack. 

4 hours ago, Gnarls said:

Hey man

I'm about to pull the trigger on a ph pen since I'm gearing up for my first outdoor grow. I'm on balcony with a lot of afternoon sun. Was planning to run in fabric pots but after seeing the point about water I'm thinking hmmmm. Could you please expand on the no need for ph/ec meter thing? I currently filter my water with some kuro bo activated charcoal. Plants seem to love it thus far. 

Please help and sorry for the thread hijack. 

From what I understood, the pH pen is essential if you are not going to use "living soil".

With living soil, it is not necessary to pH the water because the living organisms in the living soil regulates the soil pH. The living soil buffers the pH and keeps it at an ideal level for your plant. 

You just need to water your plant with dechlorinated tap water. This can be accomplished by leaving the tap water in a container for  1-2 days...

From what I understood, the pH pen is essential if you are not going to use "living soil".
With living soil, it is not necessary to pH the water because the living organisms in the living soil regulates the soil pH. The living soil buffers the pH and keeps it at an ideal level for your plant. 
You just need to water your plant with dechlorinated tap water. This can be accomplished by leaving the tap water in a container for  1-2 days...

In an opened* container... But the rest is correct.