18 ppm Colloidal Silver

silverdelange

Hi.

New to the forum, and new to indoor growing. I have read quite a bit regarding the use of colloidal silver, but no definite answers on the results with normal Dischem sold Silver Labs brand Ionic Colloidal Silver. 18 ppm I think. Does it work, or should I look elsewhere? Not keen on the STS method, and not keen on making my own. If not strong enough, where can I buy proper colloidal silver?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

STS really is the best method. You only need to spray a plant once every 5 days and only about 4 times.

Store bought colloidal silver solutions are too weak. You need a colloidal solution of about 30-40ppm. But you'll have to spray every day, with no guaranteed results. Youd need to make it yourself using DC electrolysis with both the anode and cathode needing to be made from .999 fine silver.

Just use STS.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with@Totemic rather just make use of STS.

I've used it a few times, really easy to work with. What is putting you off the STS route?

There is a nice guide on steemit. I spray the whole plants, leaves and all. Never had issues with it not working for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I agree with@Totemic rather just make use of STS.

I've used it a few times, really easy to work with. What is putting you off the STS route?

There is a nice guide on steemit. I spray the whole plants, leaves and all. Never had issues with it not working for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I read up a bit more on the STS route. I thought it was much more difficult. Going to give it a try.

Any specific brands of Silver Nitrate and Sodium Thiosulfate to look for? Don't want to get the wrong stuff. Checked quickly at Dischem, nothing in stock.

Youd need to get them from a place such as chemlabsupplies.co.za 

Youll have to buy their minimum quantities so it's going to set you back at least R1k. 

50g Silver Nitrate AR

500g Sodium Thiosulphate Pentahydrate

Edited by Totemic
  • Thanks 1

Still quite the ride to go on for a new grower!!

What have you got that is blowing your mind so much that you want to make more of her? 

Be careful that you aren't gonna reverse a somewhat underperforming/lacking plant. 

This process is done for the sole reason of preserving genetics and making fems if I'm not mistaken? 

What are you trying to reverse bro beans? 

• Thanks 1

I have a Ghost Train Haze cross i want to preserve. Got a few seeds from a friend, and the ones he grew from the same batch were sublime. Cannot find anything in the same league locally. Going to practice on a Durban Poison first and if it works out then I will proceed with them.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Remember that when you make seeds, it goes back to a lucky packet of sorts. It will introduce variance.

Cutting will ensure its a clone / identical plant, seeds will not - you may need to dig in the seeds to find the pheno you're after.

All part of the journey. I am sure that I will fail somewhere, but thats the fun of it. Just keep trying. I really appreciate the input from everyone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Joining this party a bit late....

Firstly - if experienced growers tell you STS is the way to go, well, then that is probably the way to go, I know very little but I love to experiment.

Having said that, I'm using 18ppm colloidal silver, and on day 4 I can already see sacks forming (this in itself is much faster than anticipated even if one use 30ppm) it also remains to be seen if I'll still have this smug look on my face in a week or three.

So, my opinion totally do-able and it seems to work just fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zonkinut said:

Joining this party a bit late....

Firstly - if experienced growers tell you STS is the way to go, well, then that is probably the way to go, I know very little but I love to experiment.

Having said that, I'm using 18ppm colloidal silver, and on day 4 I can already see sacks forming (this in itself is much faster than anticipated even if one use 30ppm) it also remains to be seen if I'll still have this smug look on my face in a week or three.

So, my opinion totally do-able and it seems to work just fine.

4 days is super fast... Dare I say a bit suspicious in a way, as if the plant had decided to start making sacs before you even sprayed. 

Lets see how it turns out. Perhaps you got lucky and the plant you sprayed responds very quickly. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

4 days is super fast... Dare I say a bit suspicious in a way, as if the plant had decided to start making sacs before you even sprayed. 

Lets see how it turns out. Perhaps you got lucky and the plant you sprayed responds very quickly. 

Whether with colloidal silver, STS, and even giberellic acid, It takes 14-21 days of preflower for the action of ethylene suppression to trigger the change, and then quite a few days more for those pollen sacs to grow and reach maturity. Generally 4-5 weeks from first spray to actual pollen. 

Edited by Totemic
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Whether with colloidal silver, STS, and even giberellic acid, It takes 14-21 days of preflower for the action of ethylene suppression to trigger the change, and then quite a few days more for those pollen sacs to grow and reach maturity. Generally 4-5 weeks from first spray to actual pollen. 

This is what I have noticed based on my experiences. 

4 days, just seems way too short. 

• 4 months later...

Reviving an old topic, was sick, busy etc etc.

@Zonkinut How did yours work out with the 4 day sacks?

I have only used sts as recommended by the guys above, and seem to have perfected the art of turning the ladies. Maybe not perfected but doing quite well. Played around a lot and learned and failed a lot as well (do not breed autos in the winter)...

My best one thus far is a Gorilla Cookie Auto x Super Lemon Haze auto. Really really good cross. Left the approx 700 seeds in brown envelopes in a dark place for about 4 months, with some silica packets inside. This is my way of "curing" the seeds, then off to the freezer. Tested quite a lot of them periodically for germination rates and it seems to do the trick. Almost always 100% germ rates. Works for me.

My current breeding project is a turned Trumps Cookie Jar auto from President seeds, pollinating the following, all auto's.

Gorilla Cookie F1's. Fastbuds parents.

Orange Sherbet, Fastbuds.

Strawberry Pie, Fastbuds.

Stardawg, Fastbuds.

I got an insane amount of pollen from this plant. Started very slow and I thought it was a dud after 14 days, then it just exploded. Poor thing is on its last legs and almost completely dead now. I only spray sts twice, one week apart.

Wish me luck. Hoping for a shipload of seeds and some funky crosses!

Edited by silverdelange
Spelling...