Pre harvest routine

What up 420 fam.

I'm nearing the end of my grow and wondering what y'all are doing in the final week before harvest.

I have never done anything fancy before apart from a flush, but thinking of doing a 48 hour dark period with no water this time. Apparently this stresses the plant into a final push.

What do you do and why?

• Like 4

Yeah I do this, make sure they enter the dark period dry as possible, kickstarts the dry process and there will be no more light that helps with moisture usually. Darkness and humidity is also not a great combination to have with all those beautiful fruits you farmed that already carry their own moisture, think of it as already having them cut and hanging in darkness for dry, then adding pots filled with wet soil in that area. 

Do you have a nice loupe for checking the trichs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bakstein420 said:

What up 420 fam.

I'm nearing the end of my grow and wondering what y'all are doing in the final week before harvest.

I have never done anything fancy before apart from a flush, but thinking of doing a 48 hour dark period with no water this time. Apparently this stresses the plant into a final push.

What do you do and why?

Some guys put a layer of ice cubes at the base of the stem during the last 48hrs to mimic a cold snap which supposedly stresses the plant in a good way?

I have to be honest I don't know how stoned these guys were went they thought of this.. 😅 so might be old stoner tales or based on some semblance of science..:-stoned

• Haha 1

It actually mimics what happens in nature, just pushing it to greater extents. Cannabis flowers during winter when the days get shorter and nigts get longer and the temps are all around lower than in summer. So I guess people have tried pushing it with that whole thing and no one can really say if it does any good or bad. 

Someone on the forum pushed for amber trichs when they where all clear still but the rest of the plant has been showing signs of finishing, so after the 48h dark he had a good percentage of amber. I mean that's pretty cool, but who can say if it was really the dark...

If you put ice, remember it melts and within few hours will just be wet soil again. 

Not to say that the drop in temps might have an effect, but then again so does not giving light at all for that long. 

Edited by Naughty.Psychonaut
  • Like 1

Hey all,

You always want to do your last watering as far from harvest as possible, not only will this push the plant to use it reserves but also bring out more flavour and smell, and will have no spare moisture content, this drying better.

Try harvest in the dark period, even if you do 48 hours dark, and agree with this method very much. This will be when your lights would normally be off but after your 48 hours off to assure your plants are asleep. 

Plants when sleeping, will push all starches to the roots, these starches you dont want in your plant when harvesting as they are bitter and just another thing to remove in the drying process if it even all come out.

You also dont need to do full 48, as 24 hours is as good, just out of it original for more than a day.

Just like grapes or fruits, and a farmer will tell you this too, the more balanced and delicate the climate or schedule, the more delicate the harvest fruits are, or the wine of those grapes, but the best flavor and taste wines, are made from the harsh weather, cold spikes and dry times.

Some say there is more THC doing the dark time, but at this stage that is honestly mostly done and its terpenes that are being formed, to make the smell and taste. The dark, and cooler time will help those not burn off from the light.

They also kick up more of a stink and stickiness harvested in the cold and dark of night.

Respect 🤜🤛

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

20200725_132353.thumb.jpg.e1fdeb226feaec8db6b772038095a9b6.jpg

She is currently in lights out, will harvest tomorrow afternoon probably. Looks like it should be an easy trim too 😊

Hey bro. Looking great!!! 

What training techniques did you use? It looks like a mainline. All those colas are super nice and uniform. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm also getting the hang of doing it, will be my second time now in grow, and third on its way soon, just battling with seedlings stretching from this Chinese COB.

First picture is my test subject who got spiderman'd in a sense, and topped and pulled everything back, then topped again.

Then my in flower now, top and leave bottom lower branches, and this works, but next time it's only the main ones on top, then top again as above. 

IMG-20200320-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20200514-WA0051.jpeg

• Like 5

@Bakstein420 @StickyD420 ok so i checked out the mainlining. 

So Bakstein toped 3 times. How long would u say that set your grow back bro?

Sticky how many colas are u shooting for with spidey?

And how long are you waiting inbetween each topping?

Its usually just over a week between toppings. Depends on how fast the strain grows and handles stress.

Topping 3 times with regular mainlining should set you back about 2 weeks... Nebula Haze's method will set you back a week.

Not sure if I've mentioned my journal on Grasscity to you with the mainline... I ran the Nebula method, plan to do it again this run with my latest Inzane tree... Still in week 1 of veg.

The journal is from seed to smoke, lemme know if you want the link, you can get an idea from there.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This was how spider plant came out,

Takes time to train them though into this.

Added, I take a long time to grow them, so dont go on time, we all grow different and that wouldn't be a tell at all. I topped the plant again after pulling it back above, and ended with more than 50 main cola or ends when done.

20200423_150330.jpg

20200422_152513.jpg

Edited by StickyD420
Added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Its usually just over a week between toppings. Depends on how fast the strain grows and handles stress.

Topping 3 times with regular mainlining should set you back about 2 weeks... Nebula Haze's method will set you back a week.

Not sure if I've mentioned my journal on Grasscity to you with the mainline... I ran the Nebula method, plan to do it again this run with my latest Inzane tree... Still in week 1 of veg.

The journal is from seed to smoke, lemme know if you want the link, you can get an idea from there.

Thanks bro. Please share the link. Would be helpful.

• Like 1

@afternoon blazer I topped her 3 times which set me back between 2-3 weeks. I even broke 1 main during LST but it grew back.
@TheUltimateNoob throw us a link so we can check it out. Have you ever tried fluxing? 
The Nebula Haze Mainline is more of a flux method, but results are on par with mainlining.

Here's the journal;
https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/harvested-nirvana-blue-dream-indoor-grow-nebulas-manifold.1548198/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

This was how spider plant came out,

Takes time to train them though into this.

Added, I take a long time to grow them, so dont go on time, we all grow different and that wouldn't be a tell at all. I topped the plant again after pulling it back above, and ended with more than 50 main cola or ends when done.

20200423_150330.jpg

20200422_152513.jpg

Nice one bro! How long she take to get to that stage? 

Here's a few shots of my indoor mainlined for 8 main colas... There are a few more shots in the Blue Dream grow report that I completed a while back. 

IMG_20191121_200521.jpg

IMG_20191118_005230.jpg

IMG_20191115_183925_1.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you brother, 

Took about a month longer than the others, so about 3 months I guess, give or take. 

They had meant to be my GSC mothers, and take clones from them, which I did before flowering them, after the previous spider pull, and then things changed and I lost my work and life gave a slap in the face, and lost interest in them and sent them to flower outside and started new things. 

• Like 3

Thank you brother, 
Took about a month longer than the others, so about 3 months I guess, give or take. 
They had meant to be my GSC mothers, and take clones from them, which I did before flowering them, after the previous spider pull, and then things changed and I lost my work and life gave a slap in the face, and lost interest in them and sent them to flower outside and started new things. 

3 months is the norm I guess... Mainlines make really good clones.

Damn, sorry brother, hopefully things turn around. Everyone I know took a hit with this lockdown... Thinking of putting some trees outside myself.

• Like 1