Miggie/Bug Problem Indoor Tent

PeeWee

Hi@Peewee, looks like Fungus Gnats, they irritate us more than the plant mostly.
You can use Pyrol, Neem or even ground cinnamon sprinkled on top of your medium.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I have cinnamon power in my soul mix. Don't know if I am lucky but I have not had a gnat problem yet.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum @PeeWee

They most likely come from your soil.

U can use diatomaceous earth as a topdressing during veg, as well as stickystrips.

I say veg cause it will provide silicate which can cause a dark ash when used too much in flower.

Some growers cover the tops of their pots with silicate sand or perlite, this sjould also keep them away.

Good luck.

Edit, forgot to say, karbadust is toxic, i wouldnt use it in my garden.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 3

Evening @Dank

Thanks for that, and how come if I may ask?

They make as if it's safe for pets and such, so hope it's not bad.

Added, I've also seen diatomaceous earth scattered over mites and brushed more on, and then dusted more later, and after many hours, the mites had gone on like nothing happened. It didnt seem to dry them out or cause them irritation, they almost thrive after lol.

Edited by StickyD420
Added

Awe @StickyD420  so basically i dont like to use toxix stuff, messes up soil biology. States on the label that its toxic and harmful to bees, fish and wildlife.

Just a heads up the mention for DE was in regards to gnats, not really mites. However if use the DE correctly during veg (extra silica) you could end up with plants strong enough to withstand mites.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Oh yes, myself staying away from toxic things for my soil, and keep to the most natural environment as possible, glad you practice this too.

I did only now read further than just look at the label, which is deceiving at best. Haha. They even make reference to, uneducated people or animals...what the hell?🤣

And again, in the soil DE is amazing for the silica benefit, is amazing stuff, as adding silica in bottle liquid form doesn't or can't get absorbed by the plant.

The only thing is its mentioned often as a good pest control, but have yet to see that myself or found evidence thereof. 

Thank you for the invite too🤜🤛

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 2

Morning gentlemen.
So as the simplest solution.
Is it yay or nay on the cinnamon powder?
I just sprinkled ground cinnamon on my soil for the gnats a week ago, still see a few but need to do it this week again, if I understand correctly the cinnamon stops/kills the fungas that the gnats eat. Will give feedback in a week again

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Give them names...the gnats that is. 

Karba dust, sticky strips, neem soil drench if you must. 

I dont personally worry about them as I grow in organics and they are always around.

Probably abit irratating having these bugs around. 

Bugs are annoying in general. 

Thats just my personal opinion. 

In terms of damage to the plants. I have no idea.

Havnt gotten that far yet 😏

Just tryna figure out solutions before i run into issues.

Preparation is golden.

Edited by afternoon blazer
  • Like 1

I have found Cinnamon doesn't work, probably better at dampening off issues than gnats. 

2 weeks in, still got the odd one flying around. 

Neem in a spray bottle, and spraying the surface of the soil every other day, if you want to preserve the Microbes, or a drenching if you dont and really want the gnats gone.

Works 100%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bakstein420 said:

Thanks for bringing that up. I use it as I saw it was recommended to another forum member. Will stick with DE in the future 👍

No worries, DE with the addition of stickystips (even upside down duckttape) in the grow area should keep them in check.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 3

I've had a gnat issue with my previous grow attempt (bag seeds). I think that I left my living soil out for too long and these things got in there and laid their eggs. 

I used some organic fungicide but it didn't seem to help much. I eventually just sprayed the fungicide every other week and kept a few sticky strips up to catch the f@#ckers. it took me a few weeks to get rid of them. I still had the odd 2 or 3 floating around but I wasn't too phased about them.

So far, I am about 7 weeks into my new grow and I was careful not to leave the soil out for more that a day and after I used it, I was sure to seal the bag properly. Then, I make sure that the day after a feed or water, I empty whatever water in the drip trays haven't been absorbed back into the soil. So far so good. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tee_Aitch_See said:

I've had a gnat issue with my previous grow attempt (bag seeds). I think that I left my living soil out for too long and these things got in there and laid their eggs. 

I used some organic fungicide but it didn't seem to help much. I eventually just sprayed the fungicide every other week and kept a few sticky strips up to catch the f@#ckers. it took me a few weeks to get rid of them. I still had the odd 2 or 3 floating around but I wasn't too phased about them.

So far, I am about 7 weeks into my new grow and I was careful not to leave the soil out for more that a day and after I used it, I was sure to seal the bag properly. Then, I make sure that the day after a feed or water, I empty whatever water in the drip trays haven't been absorbed back into the soil. So far so good. 

Howzit bro. 

Just a heads up. Dont think u should be re-using the run off water. As this may un balance your salts and ph.

As the run off is never consistent of nutez.

It probably contains old salts and nutez and new salts and nutez. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Howzit bro. 

Just a heads up. Dont think u should be re-using the run off water. As this may un balance your salts and ph.

As the run off is never consistent of nutez.

It probably contains old salts and nutez and new salts and nutez. 

Thanks bro, but I don't feed this water back to the plants. If the soil hasn't absorbed it a day after I've watered, I pour it down the drain. 

• Like 1

I've picked up a bad habit from my succulent growing. I tend to agitate the top of the soil (2-3mm) for moisture reasons. Anyway, I do this with my plants a day after watering firstly for looks. I like the look of freshly turned soil.
Secondly, the process exposes eggs and larvae to the lights and elements and kills them.
I've been doing this for years with succulents, maybe that's why I don't seem to have gnat problems. Or is my grow environment incorrect that I don't attract them.
Just a thought to throw out there.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2