MY CRAZY JOURNEY.

West Coast Vaper

This is a back dated story of me finally starting a cabinet grow.

There are going to be a few "What the *$#k is that dude doing" moments so feel free to comment. The grow is all about learning.

Lockdown had just begun, although the wife's and my family company started feeling the pinch about a month before the shit hit the fan. I was sitting in the garage tasting my first batch of moonshine staring at the wall to wall cabinets. Right, I thought, time to give this indoor grow a go.

Seeds that I had from my last outdoor grow went into seedling trays in soil, left and forgotten about. The moonshine turned out pretty potent.

About 7 days later I walk past this seedling tray and all but one seed had popped their heads above ground. I was wondering what my wife had planted every time I walked pass this damn tray in an arb spot. MOONSHINE.

Now I had to make a plan.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 weeks later I transplant into pots using home grown/made soil from the farm/nursery.
The soil is:
Coarse sand
Compost (cow, horse and chicken shit, fynbos greens leftover from the propagation operation, coir, cinnamon powder, ash, those small slow release fertilizer balls and small bits of bark) which I tend to pull out as I read it messes with the nitrogen.
Now I need more space as I have 15 plants.a1e7567219e9cf790a0a91172261ec09.jpg

• Like 3

Time to convert 2 more cabinets. Friends helped out with cfl's and fittings lying around and I bought a few when there was change after nappies.. Tight budget.
So now I had 1 x 85w, 5 x 20w cfl's and a led tube light that I juggled around over the next few days.
So far the plants are still looking good, one or two have slightly browned tips.
But I'm well stoked.ae8213da449437afb267773ecaecadc7.jpg56bde5025a14f91f5a1657797cd5bf35.jpga506215620a6e9a165f2d800d87b263d.jpgc0cf4e2e470444dd11c57bf6f36b7f0d.jpg

• Like 4

Going into week 3 since I popped the plants under lights.
The previous pics are to show the cabinets and not the plants.
Everything still looks fine and I'm, mmm what's so hard about this, just need to get a few more cfl's and Bob's your uncle.
The plants are on 18/6 cycle as I am not sure what the electricity bills gonna be, I was thinking about leaving the lights on 24 hours straight.
As with the grow set up improving so was the moonshine still being upgraded.a5038661fb12cab3171d35463019cb80.jpg8417bd5f1f9a272cb401475baba76599.jpg0d63259d5c5f1a1dc83936c1f1a785af.jpgdf6d1f47032eafdf97b45473507aa271.jpg4baff564b520c6cc285d01e79caaa64e.jpg

• Like 1

Week 5.
I'm at the stage now of watching and waiting.
The plants under the LED under counter lights seem to be stretching faster than the ones under cfl's. I'm putting this down to using the incorrect lights and distance from the light.
Still looking good. Of course I'm gonna say that, what do I know about lights.
Time to get doctor Google out and my research starts with earnest and that's where I stumble upon the forum.4e2cca4eb5ac7858c15be3eb0c063d40.jpge5372442d90531aef2ff1b469c6588a3.jpg6717c5d6b34c59604d6557e30f53c950.jpg547206856e389b54016ea51cde716ba1.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SkunkPharm said:

Hi Dave. Have you ever thought of replacing one of those CFL's with a 10w LED spotlight?

Screenshot_20200520-090321.png

Morning @SkunkPharm. Thanks for the thought. Yes I had considered the spot light but after researching a bit my feeling was that my cabinets were a little on the small size and was not sure about the heat.

I've settled on the QB75 from @growopz which I can add onto as and when cash lands in my Sky Rocket (pocket).

• Like 1

Week 6.

My plants are going through a bit of a growth spurt now. They are getting taller but don't seem to be bushing out. Once again I put this down to my lack of experience with lights or is it something else. Doctor Google.

My soil seems to be ok, I'm not adding any nutrition and I'm reading pH levels are important. Check water pH. We have a 160m deep borehole that draws from the Atlantis aquafier or whatever the proper name is. 6.5 - 6.6 which I believe is not bad. 

To many plants and not enough light I'm thinking. Unfortunately I did not photo journal this week.

Looking good @DamDave

About the lights issue. 

@SkunkPharm made a good suggestion. Those flood lights dont get that hot. 

I know definitly a few people on here use the ACDC version. Especially for veg.

150w led floodlight. Cool white.

R375 with2 year warrenty.

I bought it.

Run it in a similar size box as yours. 

Temps are about 20 degrees inside at night.  With the heatsink sticking out the box.

I did so e cheap ass light test on the light. And i was extremely impressed.

If u want complete validation of the light. @CreX knows hands down. how good it is.

Also from all the info i have been through. 

Light is priority 1. Then Genetics.

Just wana help bro.

Screenshot_20200629-043442_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Looking good @DamDave

About the lights issue. 

@SkunkPharm made a good suggestion. Those flood lights dont get that hot. 

I know definitly a few people on here use the ACDC version. Especially for veg.

150w led floodlight. Cool white.

R375 with2 year warrenty.

I bought it.

Run it in a similar size box as yours. 

Temps are about 20 degrees inside at night.  With the heatsink sticking out the box.

I did so e cheap ass light test on the light. And i was extremely impressed.

If u want complete validation of the light. @CreX knows hands down. how good it is.

Also from all the info i have been through. 

Light is priority 1. Then Genetics.

Just wana help bro.

Screenshot_20200629-043442_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, so I've been giving it more thought and gonna give it a try. Setting up the veg cabinet this weekend.

Once again, great advice and help on this platform.

• Like 2

Week 7ish.

So I've decided to build a bigger cabinet by slapping 2 shelving units together and use 1 of the other cabinets as a veg box. Trying to improve the lighting somehow.

I've attached cfl's and a led tube light permanently and the shelving I'll lower as the plants grow. Not the ideal way to use cfl's, I know, but hoping I'll get better light distribution than my previous setup.

Oh, by the way, my plants have been on 12/12 for about a week now.

I have also started chatting with @growopz to see what he can do for me concerning LED's on a very small budget.

IMG_20200628_165843.jpg

IMG_20200714_115104.jpg

IMG_20200705_065040.jpg

• Like 5

Week 8.

The plants are in the new cabinet and I'm feeling whoop whoop.

The cabinet size is 1000x600x1600mm with the option of adding another unit to make it 900mm deep.

How many plants would be optimal in this area. I have to many at the moment.

The shelves are adjustable so I just drop them as the plant grows. 

Just by changing the light distribution the plants are improving but still not bushy. I'm popping them on the trolley and moving outside round tea time once it's nice and toasty. They still not bushing out, meant to be Jack Berry given to me by a friend, so I'll read up on the strain. These are the seeds that I got off the 2 outdoor grows (chucked in pot, and left in variouses places round the nursery) until they were ready. They got watered when it was nursery watering time. That's my experience growing.

I'm busy chatting with @growopz about a QB75 without a power supply as I have one and budget budget budget.

Almost caught up to the present so stay tuned. Spliff time.

IMG_20200701_065707.jpg

IMG_20200706_130554.jpg

• Like 2

These are looking good bro. 
Coming along nice.

U did say that u taking them out during tea. Any reason why u not leaving them out from earlier. Like 8 or so?

And could u just remind me what light sched they on? 
Hey there @afternoon blazer. Tea time is when it warms up where I am, usually misty and a chill in the air until then.

They on 12/12 now. I'll be continuing the CRAZY later this evening once the baba is fed and put to bed.
Stay tuned in.

@DamDave

This is a good read hahah I like everything about this! I wish I had some pics of my old CFL setup hahah your shit looks 100 times better than mine did! I am literally still running a full DIY setup for veg with a clicks desk clip fan, a flood light, a bathroom extractor fan and a cabinet I built one busy morning. 

Anyway, awesome thread you got going here, your plants look like they appreciate all that you do for them! 

• Like 2

Week 9.

Week 11 will be the present.

Okay, everything still looking good but it's like watching paint dry. The plants are finally saying hoesit, I'm a male, get me out of here. At this stage the rabbits each get a plant to munch on and I get more space in the cabinet. By week 11 I have 8 plants from 15 that are female. I'm happy and my wife is harassing me to start the next grow.

Welcome back load shedding. Never thought I'd use my 2000kv riot control tazer to grow ganja, man but does it have a powerful light.

Whoa, stop the train. I've picked my light up from @growopz. Out come the cfl's and in go the led. Can I go play with the big boys ma?

IMG_20200713_115648.jpg

IMG_20200710_153219.jpg

IMG_20200712_125811.jpg

IMG_20200715_131949.jpg

IMG_20200715_132003.jpg

• Like 4