Possible Thrip Damage??

DeeJay

Hey guys,

Wondering if you could help me diagnose what this is on my leaves??

This plant is a feminized seed, Sunset Sherbert, and was grown outdoors in a pot from seed over the summer.

She was left to her own as I had just finished an intensive 1st hydro grow op and had no energy for more plants at the time.

After summer she was ready to harvest, but was smaller than a bonzai, at only 20cm height, but with tiny little nuggets. About 10 joints worth! Haha!

At this point, I moved her into my grow room, and put the lights on 18-6, and she has now matured into a 4ft high monster, still in veg cos I am just starting my hydro setup again in the same room. She'll be in veg for another month i reckon before my hydro catches up and I flip.

She has developed this kind of disease to her lower and middle leaves. The top is healthy and green. This one has been very temperamental from the start in the grow room, but I've looked after her and she is doing well.

I am concerned about her though, and did some research online and looked at pics, and seems like thrips to me, which I have never encountered before.

I've tried to take a pic of the slightly shiny deposit on the tops of the leaves, which is why I think it might be thrips.

I have scoured the plant, but can find no sign of any living creatures in the foliage, which is strange.

One of my hydro girls, Purple Punch, 1 week in the hydro setup, is also affected, but also doing really well and going crazy in growth already.

Please could one of you guys help me out with a diagnosis...

I have bought Biogro Organic Pyrol, and mixed a 20ml/litre solution and sprayed all my plants as well as I can this morning before they went to sleep.

Hoping this helps them "recover" from whatever is afflicting them...

Thanx in advance...

Sunset Sherbert 1.JPG

Sunset Sherbert 2.JPG

Sunset Sherbert 3.JPG

Sunset Sherbert 4.JPG

• Sad 1

That does look very similar 👍🏻
the really strange thing is that I have another girl next to her, Do Si Do, green exact same way. They were next to each other outdoors before moving inside. She’s totally healthy on the exact same feed?!

not sure if the nutrients are to blame if they reacting differently. 
Sunset Sherbert defo more temperamental though. 
how did u control ur Thrips??

I meant grown not green. Pred text. 
my Do Si Do is 100’s. 3 inches apart and no symptoms at all. 
I was leaning towards thrips due to the fact I could see a faint almost snail trail on the top of the leaves affected. 
I’ll continue with Pyrol once a week and see how she goes...

Thanx 🙏🏻

• Like 1

I've posted this on another forum as well, and the guys there definitely think it's nutrient lockout.

I'm going to give her a proper flush and then Calmag the water before adding nutrients.

I'll report back in a few days...

Thanx for the advice 🙂

47 minutes ago, DeeJay said:

I've posted this on another forum as well, and the guys there definitely think it's nutrient lockout.

I'm going to give her a proper flush and then Calmag the water before adding nutrients.

I'll report back in a few days...

Thanx for the advice 🙂

Unfortunately you have thrips. The defiency that the leaves are showing I would ignore and address the thrips 1st. Tell tales signs are the shiny indents in the leaves and the little black dropping's that thrips leaves behind after hitting a chow. Thrips are quite resilient and requires a few sprays every few days to kill them. Biogrow Pyrol, neudosen and Neel mixed together in a spray bottle should sort them out. You could use other pesticides, just make sure you test on a few leaves to make sure it's not gonna burn the leaves. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've just sprayed again both trees.

Difficult to get under all the leaves as she is quite bushy! Tried my best.

Also flushed both trees with 10 litres of PH 6.3.

Will see how they go.

Do I just repeat the spray every 2-3 days until they're gone?

What's the life cycle of these pests?

41 minutes ago, DeeJay said:

I've just sprayed again both trees.

Difficult to get under all the leaves as she is quite bushy! Tried my best.

Also flushed both trees with 10 litres of PH 6.3.

Will see how they go.

Do I just repeat the spray every 2-3 days until they're gone?

What's the life cycle of these pests?

Plenty info on thrips and life cycle on Google. With regards to spraying. Buy one of those cheap plastic 5ltr sprayer that has a wand. You will be able to reach in and spray undersides etc. I would do a 3rd spray in a few days depending on how the plants are looking. Spraying the plants heavily often can be harsh on the plant. After that I would spray once a week till week 2 of flower.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did spray mine with Pyrol twice, but also adjusted PH which was out.

I was not letting enough nutrient run off after feeding and I think it created nutrient lockout which came out in the form of funny looking leaves as in my pics.

I flushed with 5l of PH'd Florakleen in each plant and then waited until the next feed, and fed them a weak nutrient solution of PH 6.0.

They are both looking really healthy now. I've just pruned them over the last 2 nights, readying them for the 12-12 flip on the weekend.

I cam across no signs of any pests.

I am 99% sure my issue was PH and not thrips, otherwise all my other plants would've had it as well, and I would have seen some insects in my grow room.

Good luck 🙂

• Like 1