Advice on lights please.

West Coast Vaper

8 hours ago, Tee_Aitch_See said:

Same as mine?

I've got the QB75 from @growopzIMG-20200714-WA0023.thumb.jpeg.1c3980c5873147f5779788402f4f70d1.jpeg

I've got 3 autos under there. 

1 of them is 3 weeks older than the other 2. Not sure if that's too much. But I intend on getting another board and adding it to the setup. 

This f@#!king load shedding though!!!

That's the one. Super chuffed.

IMG_20200715_131949.jpg

IMG_20200715_132003.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 9:01 AM, Tee_Aitch_See said:

Same as mine?

I've got the QB75 from @growopzIMG-20200714-WA0023.thumb.jpeg.1c3980c5873147f5779788402f4f70d1.jpeg

I've got 3 autos under there. 

1 of them is 3 weeks older than the other 2. Not sure if that's too much. But I intend on getting another board and adding it to the setup. 

This f@#!king load shedding though!!!

Hey there @Tee_Aitch_See, you all good?

I was wondering if you found the sweet spot for the light. I'm not sure on what heights to work on.

If you raise the light does that equal more coverage for more plants. 

Are there different heights for veg and flower.

And lastly, what size pots you got there.

I could trial and error but my plants are a week or so into 12/12 and I don't want to cause kak. Would appreciate any info you have learnt using the light.

23 minutes ago, DamDave said:

I was wondering if you found the sweet spot for the light. I'm not sure on what heights to work on.

I could trial and error but my plants are a week or so into 12/12 and I don't want to cause kak. Would appreciate any info you have learnt using the light.

I'd ask @GrowOpz to advise better, 

My understanding is it would be 60cm from top of plant in Veg,

And 30 to 40cm in flower 

Yes you get more coverage going higher, but the light strength will decrease dramatically as you do.

You can watch you plants and adjust lower if they are happy, but would be best for the manufacturer specifications.

Edited by StickyD420

32 minutes ago, DamDave said:

I had mine at 55cm in seedling and veg and I've since lowered it to 40cm a week ago. They seem to be happy with the light at that height. No stretching at 55cm and no burn at 40cm. I read somewhere on the growopz website that it could be as close at 20cm from the canopy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tee_Aitch_See said:

I had mine at 55cm in seedling and veg and I've since lowered it to 40cm a week ago. They seem to be happy with the light at that height. No stretching at 55cm and no burn at 40cm. I read somewhere on the growopz website that it could be as close at 20cm from the canopy. 

Thanks bud and you @StickyD420.

I wanted to get this right the first time round. Coming from cfl's I'm yet to experience the power's of led. I don't want to be tempted to hang the lights to close.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Evening all. I was wondering if anyone has come across this light before. A friend is trying to palm it off on me but all he knows is that it is 1000w full spectrum.

I don't really need another light just yet but if it's any good it won't hurt the wallet much.

190514134953_s-l800 (1).jpg

Good evening brother, 

All I know, is it has UV and IR and 3k and 4k LEDs by Epiled.

The General Store here in PE, sells them for 1k brand new. Probably closer to 150w and be very surprised if it was even over 200w.

My opinion 🤷‍♂️

Edited by StickyD420
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

It's a copy of these...

Then last picture is a cheaper version sold at Walmart lol

Added, rephrase that, not a copy, that would imply it was made similar or the same, and that could not be further from the truth. 

Screenshot_20200729-220707_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-220802_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-221108_Chrome.jpg

My first attempt with a clone was with one of these (the last picture). 

Don't waste your time bro. I received the plant as it was flipped and I had my plant flower for about 9 weeks or so under what was said to be a 300watt full spectrum LED and I ended up with 10g of airy bud. 

@growopz is the way to go. 

Edited by Tee_Aitch_See
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

I actually thought that same thing, and my mate asked them to take it the plastic, remove the seal, plug it in, and it was as I said.

You can see the difference between the 4k and 3k and then the clear and  black LEDs are the UV and IR, I wouldn't joke with you brother. 

shockedpicachu.JPG.c47d912a85d7e5109142f532ddb4c189.JPG

• Haha 1

My first attempt with a clone was with one of these (the last picture). 
Don't waste your time bro. I received the plant as it was flipped and I had my plant flower for about 9 weeks or so under what was said to be a 300watt full spectrum LED and I ended up with 10g of airy bud. 
@growopz is the way to go. 
Definitely Bud. Hooked on@growopz products and most of all his service delivery. Hard to find these days.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I actually thought that same thing, and my mate asked them to take it the plastic, remove the seal, plug it in, and it was as I said.
You can see the difference between the 4k and 3k and then the clear and  black LEDs are the UV and IR, I wouldn't joke with you brother. 
I know what you mean, they actually do include different spectrum leds. I got this cheapie led bulbs from China as well.

They have Blue, Red, White, UV and IR diodes as well.
Low output, but perfect for hardening off seedlings or clones...
Even for vegging a bonsai mother.
a80d24e8643bb04b70b7c4d03dff7641.jpgebe69f80d79f0029bd2471637ab82cb4.jpg

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a QB75 thanks to@growopz. The PSU Mean Well NES-100-24 I had lying around. Now I want to add 2 x 15w 4000k LED strips to it, the QB75 , which I know I can't do. Once I've saved up enough I want to replace the 15w lights with something from@growopz.
My question is what would the ideal wattage be for my grow area of 1mx1mx1.6m be and what PSU should I use. Would I Daisy chain the lights or wire into the PSU?
This venture into finding the optimal light is damn addictive man.

My question is what would the ideal wattage be for my grow area of 1mx1mx1.6m be and what PSU should I use. Would I Daisy chain the lights or wire into the PSU?
This venture into finding the optimal light is damn addictive man.

I'd say 320w of QBs spread out nicely is spot on for 1x1m... Comes out just under 30w per sqft... You could go a bit lower IMO.

A high amperage (like 14A) 24v power supply, if you can find one, will run all the boards (assuming you wanna get all Growopz boards) connected in parallel to the power supply.

With 75w boards, 4 of them will get you to 300w, so my suggestion would be to go with a 48V power supply, and have 2 sets of 2 boards in series, wired in parallel to the PSU.

Haven't built my own light before. Just my 2c.

*Correct me if I'm wrong people please.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Hey Buds, you all good I take it. I'm set on my light and will be getting more to add on soon (ish).
But what constitutes a good light. I've been reading up on various lights and each manufacturer claims theirs is leading edge LED's, best driver, fan cooled, air cooled,, the list goes on. I won't even go into all the letters of the alphabet that represent the light intensity.
Some use Samsung, some us Bridgelux and others Osram. Is this a personal choice thing and why does everything seem to be imported. Do we not have equivalent's in SA or is it because technology has not caught up here yet.
So what does one look for in the perfect light.
Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here.

In short, my opinion only

Passive air cooling wont last as long as active will, but you have a fan that can fail.

You have the best of each type listed,

Samsung make the best chip for boards, 3k and so forth, but Osram have the best deep red chips, Bridgelux the best COB chips.

You can see these efficiency tests on the manufacturer's site. The most efficient is the best.

Your power supply must not go full of the capacity of the LEDs or they wont last long.

Very good place to start, is with this video 

Stop listening to manufacturer's specific lists on the complete light sets, or China as they aren't correct. Hardly so.

This guys video explains it all.

• Like 2