Something worth reading

i found the comments quite informative, not so much the article

unfortunately his approach to myco's is not as simple as "you should already have so adding more is futile"

i would consider this guys opinion if i was a much more experienced grower and i knew for a fact that my myco system is on point 

if you are in doubt - it seriously is one of the cheaper additives - just add some in - it will not hurt

i know this is in the soil section. but mycos in coco and hydro is very important in my opinion and everyone should have a tub of the stuff laying around

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

How to compare the intricate mycological flora from a well established 1000 year old undisturbed forest with what's happening in your ''residential'' garden soil, that's had much, much less time. Compare that with ''supersoils'' or ''craft soils and the amount of disturbances and processing involved.

In the effort to emulate mother nature we will always be lagging behind, needing all the help we can get. She has all the time in the world to create.

I say add the myco's.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like this website. Before reading this I've already given up buying mycoroot. R175 for a box of gravel with a few dead roots in it is some kind of joke. I don't own a microscope,  but that stuff makes no difference to plant health, or yield.

I spent that money on malted barley, instead. My bottle of biodyne won't be replaced, either. That one was R 220 for half a litre of water + floaty bits.

Mr Pavis is certainly no fool and an excellent gardener. I think he works around 3,000 acres Have any of you read his article on fish fertiliser? 

Hi@DamDave  good luck with your growing.

Mr Garden Myths gardens with 3,000 varieties, over 6 acres (I got it wrong). All he puts down on his beds is wood chip mulch. No ferts and no compost.  

My method to prep a bed is to spread a little lime over the grass then I use wet cardboard over the area, with a dry straw mulch to smother the weeds. Leave it a week, or so then I just0 poke holes through and transplant. I cheat a bit and use talbourne pellet ferts, for a extra kick. No digging and turning is ever needed.  Just hoe out the odd weed that manages to grow. 

I will eventually start experimenting with the wood chip method, as the bed needs more mulch. 

Have a good one, enjoy the rain!