new grower

seanmaa

Good morning,

I am a new grower and think I have made a school boy error and would love some help. I have moved them from small pots into these big pots and I think I might have over watered, Please help.

Regards

Seanmaa

20200707_112118.jpg

20200707_112112.jpg

Edited by seanmaa
upload photos
  • Like 2

Oh dear! Looks like you could be possibly correct! 

Although, not sure what soil that is. 

If it is too fresh you could experience issues like you are. 

I would stop further watering, and just leave her in the sun for a few days. 

Don't give her anything else at all for a few days. 

And see what happens... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Welcome to the fam @seanmaa 

Winter is not the best growing season in most parts of SA, don't get discouraged. :-greenthumb

Good advice from @CreX.

I would recommend adding even more perlite next time round and learn about super soils if u are keen to grow in the dirt. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hey bud. This is more of a question to others reading this, I'm new myself.
While researching my curly and brown leaves I read that bark is a no no as it releases nitrogen or something.
And is that a leca pebble I see. Leca in soil will retain moister, that much I know as I use it occasionally at my nursery.

I may be totally wrong.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DamDave said:

While researching my curly and brown leaves I read that bark is a no no as it releases nitrogen or something.

I stand corrected too, but it steals / robbs the nitrogen from the soil in a way.

The bark is a great place for fungus gnats to home too.

Edited by StickyD420
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seanmaa said:

Thank you Dank I really do appreciate it. I had it under lights in a grow tent.

Thank you for the advice

seanmaa

Your welcome, biggest issue in commercial soils is poorly composted materials generally create a "hot" soil that really holds onto moisture.

In addition like mentioned above the bark chips rob the soil of Nitrogen while it is decomposing, after decomposition the Nitrogen will again become available to the plant.

If you are mixing up yournown soils its good to let them cool off for a month or two after adding ammendments, as in the case of mixing ur own supersoils.

Compost needs to be decomposed very well, same with wormcastings. Else there could be issues.

Last tip is to use something like dolomite lime to help control PH and it will also add Calcium and Magnesium to the soil.

Do some searching online for soil recipes to get an idea about correct ratios etc if are interested in supersoils. :-greenthumb

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I stand corrected too, but it steals / robbs the nitrogen from the soil in a way.
The bark is a great place for fungus gnats to home too.
Cinnamon ( the powder ) acts as a natural fungicide, a little bit of not so useless information I found out the other day. The only time I've seen gnat's is on Google.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DamDave said:

Cinnamon ( the powder ) acts as a natural fungicide, a little bit of not so useless information I found out the other day. 

Again, thank you this information @DamDave.

Out of curiosity, and maybe @CreX @Ill_Evanand @Prom could share on,

If you use Cinnamon, and from what I've read is going to get rid of fungus gnats by removing the fungus that they feed on, right. What I question and would imagine, is if you had Mycorrhizae fungi in your soil, and Cinnamon bark or powder, would it not render the Mycoroot process null?

I question everything, and like to understand as much as possible. 

Edited by StickyD420

20 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Again, thank you this information @DamDave.

Out of curiosity, and maybe @CreX @Ill_Evanand @Prom could share on,

If you use Cinnamon, and from what I've read is going to get rid of fungus gnats by removing the fungus that they feed on, right. What I question and would imagine, is if you had Mycorrhizae fungi in your soil, and Cinnamon bark or powder, would it not render the Mycoroot process null?

I question everything, and like to understand as much as possible. 

Easy there on the technical stuff, I'm new to indoor game remember. 🤔

On the serious side, I asked the landlady and she got even more technical than you. The soil I get from them is a recipe they came up with over years for their propagation operation and works well with their fynbos.

Not exactly an answer but I'll ask again for a layman's explanation.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DamDave said:

Easy there on the technical stuff, I'm new to indoor game remember. 🤔

On the serious side, I asked the landlady and she got even more technical than you. The soil I get from them is a recipe they came up with over years for their propagation operation and works well with their fynbos.

Not exactly an answer but I'll ask again for a layman's explanation.

Haha, DamDave you make me laugh...

I'm asking for my own benefit, learning and understanding😊

Not to question you, rather the idea.

That Fynbos would probably like an acidic soil, off the top of my head, and busy helping a guy who sells Clivia's to overseas markets, and he adds pine needles to his soil for acid. The soil you using should be fine, just watch the plant and see if its happy, and just add perlite to the mix, lots of it and can even go 50/50 or more, it's up to you.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:17 AM, seanmaa said:

I am a new grower and think I have made a school boy error and would love some help. I have moved them from small pots into these big pots and I think I might have over watered, 

Can I share some good advice for a new grower on telling if it's time to water,

Take another same size pot (hoping you do have a second) and fill it with dry soil only to the same mark as the other pot. Now lift it and gauge the weight, the planted pot must be close to that weight before you water, or as close to that.

After a while you get the hang of the weight wet and dry and know just so easy.

You can also tell if it wants water, as the plant will ask for it, when the leaves are hanging down straight and no curve, its thirsty for water, and if you see them hanging with a C shape curve then its heavy from water retention. 

Edited by StickyD420
Spelling

Haha, DamDave you make me laugh...
I'm asking for my own benefit, learning and understanding
Not to question you, rather the idea.
That Fynbos would probably like an acidic soil, off the top of my head, and busy helping a guy who sells Clivia's to overseas markets, and he adds pine needles to his soil for acid. The soil you using should be fine, just watch the plant and see if its happy, and just add perlite to the mix, lots of it and can even go 50/50 or more, it's up to you.
Ok, I'm back.
No, cinnamon will not nullify the mycoroot. Mycorrhizae fungi is found in most soils but sometimes need help finding the roots, that when you can help with mycoroot.

Did a quick search and not only was the landlady correct but found that cinnamon is also a pretty good alternative to rooting hormone.
As to do with gnats, cinnamon kills the fungi that attracts them and sprinkled on top of the soil acts as a deterrent.

Man. Feels like I'm back at school. Learnt a bit today.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, you have taught me too and appreciate it.🤜🤛

Super happy it wont harm my mycoroot as I use it and benefits are huge for me.

I've known about the Cinnamon and also Honey as a clone gel together, as I was out when lockdown started and used it for all 50 clones at 100 percent success rate. 

Shot again brother